Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is CRAZY awesome. I kind of just want one of those for real life haha.

Anyway, its nice to see some variety on how to make these visors.

Let us know what you figure out!

-Erin

Hey, glad to see someone enjoyed my little slap-dash visor solution!

Currently I'm going to try out some of Link's visors since they're so affordable and a little sturdier.

The visor was split into two different sections, basically recreating the pep file from Rundown's ODST helm onto the thin plastic. I just took that little pep file you see underneat the visor, flattened it out, laid it on top of hte plastic, and cut it out.

Unfortunately the stress of being bent got to be too much and eventually the pieces snapped apart. They were held together with hot glue, black tape (gaffers mostly), and prayers. Luckily the little gaps don't seem to have shown up in any pictures, nor are they particularly noticable unless you bent down and looked straight up. So the biggest thing I'd say is to find a way to get everything to stick together cohesively, instead of being different pieces fighting each other.

The visors seem to cost around $20...luckily as I mentioned in my WIP post, my mom is a little asian lady who loves to wear those things so I have a bunch of old ones lying around I got permission to chop up. When I get more time I'll try experimenting with them again since I do kind of like how it makes the visor a little more angular as opposed to the more rounded edges of the WETA, Rube, and Link visors. Not that those aren't awesome, it's just personal aesthetics. :)

Unfortunately I don't know that much about forming plastic, so someone else will need to put their input in probably. But the material of the visor is pretty much just a thing sheet of some sort of plastic, so heating it up over a shape should be fine. The advantage is it's already tinted a nice shade of black, so no need to play around with dyes.

Thanks for posting this STIG and Trooper0621, it looks a lot better than some of the things I was contemplating... [chuckle]

Cheers

Hahaha, in their unaltered form, I've been making fun of those things for years now. Imagine some people just biking down the street with a full-frontal visor down over their face.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone's got any near them, but if there's some sort of asian market or plaza or anything around you, they sell them at the chinese equivalent of a dollar store. Yes, ladies and gentleman, I've found these visors for a dollar. Try looking around locally, you can probably save a ton of money (unless your mother is a little asian lady as trooper has stated).

The Stig said:
Glad to see you came across this topic trooper.

As I've never actually felt the material of these things yet, What would you say about heat?

My technique would take the pepped visor, Bondo it etc etc. Then afterwards place the sun visor over the top of the

visor and used a heatgun or a blowdryer, So it would melt, and under its own weight form to the same shape of the visor, Would this make sense? Besides your cutting technique its the only other idea I've come up with.

i know someone has done that for the MK6 visor,its somewhere here on the forums,they pepd,resined,and bodo'd the visor then placed the plastic over the pep visor hung weights on the plastic and put it in the over until it melted and formed the visor

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its a motobike visor!

I am following Sigmas tutorial on using a heatgun to bend the visor.

Anyone know of any templates? I am using a standard scale ODST unfolded by Ral Partha.

You know, you could just use the pep files as a template. Print out an extra copy of the pages the visor is on, cut out and assemble just the top part of the visor, same for the bottom. Bam, template.

ponchato said:
Does anyone have pictures of their Sun-visor... visor, other than Trooper's? How did it turn out?

Here are pics of my helmet (heavily based off of trooper's helmet build) I used a sun visor i got in Chinatown Philadelphia for about 5$. I just need to clean up a bit of hot glue and i dont mind the creases either.

You know, vacforming a visor is actually very easy. You don't need any special tools, just a simple domestic vacuum cleaner and a normal kitchen oven. Once you made your forming master you could make a visor in under an hour.

It's the dying that turns off some people. I know when I tried dying my ODST, it turned out like a big ol' bag of fail.

Although... if you vac-formed the sun visor itself, it'd be pre-dyed. Unless the dye reacted to the heat, of course.

I use your idea for a silver tinted motorcycle visor and here is the result.

med_gallery_2943_79_851383.jpg

Pat

Wait, you put a tinted visor over a mold of the ODST helmet's visor and melted it into shape, and it turned out like that?

A SPARTAN ODST helmet, with gold tint, might be possible after all. Awesome!

NZ-TK said:
You know, vacforming a visor is actually very easy. You don't need any special tools, just a simple domestic vacuum cleaner and a normal kitchen oven. Once you made your forming master you could make a visor in under an hour.

would the vacuming technquie work with the sun-visor thing or will it just melt and become useless?

I did not put heat on the tinted visor. I did some test and it was not pretty. With the tinted visor I only cut it like the pepakura and fold it.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back