Combat Evolved Grunt Puppet Cosplay

Lil' Grunther took his first steps over the weekend!
He looks both dainty and depressed at the moment, so I need to fix up his spine so his head points up, adjust the strapping to be more stable, and learn to how puppeteer him so I don't just hold his hands up in the air.

Even though I've got my own countdown, following SgtSaint 's build thread has been keeping me on alert for how long I have until Brisnova - about 40 days. I think at the moment, I'm going to have to put the mechanical hands on the back burner (something snapped in the right one just before filming), and I know I won't have time to get all the greeblie detail into the armour that I want.

Lil' Grunther took his first steps over the weekend!
He looks both dainty and depressed at the moment, so I need to fix up his spine so his head points up, adjust the strapping to be more stable, and learn to how puppeteer him so I don't just hold his hands up in the air.

Even though I've got my own countdown, following SgtSaint 's build thread has been keeping me on alert for how long I have until Brisnova - about 40 days. I think at the moment, I'm going to have to put the mechanical hands on the back burner (something snapped in the right one just before filming), and I know I won't have time to get all the greeblie detail into the armour that I want.
Awesome just a great job of thinking it out and then putting it into place and building it.

Very cute. Have you seen this General Grievous one? Its along the lines of what you've got there... Kinda part puppet and part costume.
That's so cool! And clever that they hid the person between the cape. Seeing it reminds me that if I get time, I wanna try and bring the legs in more so they're closer to my feet
Awesome just a great job of thinking it out and then putting it into place and building it.
Cheers! Took a couple of years of revision to get it to this stage, but I'm mostly happy with where it's at

I'm not working too much on this yet because I've got some other projects to wrap up before starting a new big one, but I'm designing and planning in my free time. Which is actually good, because I never spend enough time planning!
I have assembled the larger grunt (sadly without moving limbs)...
View attachment 283773

...and started sketching the armatures and attachments (for feet, hands and shoulders for support). This hasn't been drawn to scale.
View attachment 283771
View attachment 283772

Quick question, where would you guys get ball and socket joints from? I've had a look online at Bunnings, Jaycar and Amazon and I can't find anything suitable.
How big will this be?

This is more of a status report than an update, as I don't have the time to take decent quality WIP shots. But the toes/spikes are done and the armour is being painted. However, I'm sweating like a sinner in church right now because AusPost was meant to deliver an airbrush to me 12 days ago and it still hasn't arrived. So I've ordered another one, which will hopefully arrive Thursday.
1666057752535.png

Current check list of what's done and what needs to be done - 17 days left to go.
1666057613201.png

And here's the list so far of what I'll be bringing to the hotel as repair tools.

Will get there soon, doon't worry! SgtSaint has compiled a lot of photos from various people taking photos, so there's a lot to go through.

Before I go any further, I want to say a massive thank you to everyone in the 405th who helped with this build - whether it was giving advice or giving encouragement, it really does mean a lot.
Here's a couple of photos from Brisnova with Grunther - these are a some of my favourites (excluding the shots with everyone) taken by Barrel XXL .
Image.jpeg

Image (1).jpeg

Yes, that first one is me trying to Jojo pose.

So what's next for him? Gold Coast Supanova will be in April next year, and there's a number of improvements/fixes I want to make.

-Firstly, I seriously need to improve the strapping. Unfortunately I was only able to make it around the con hall twice, and do the shoot, as there was a lot of pressure on my spine. The main plan is to add some padding with foam, and I also need to fix how one of the buckles that adjusts the puppet's tilt straps to my body
-I need to add more cushioning to the back PVC. The upholstery foam that is on there kept sliding down, which meant the pipe was pressing against my spine a lot (somehow I didn't even bruise!). I also want to add a cushion above where the straps feed through the PVC for more comfort
-I'm looking to bring the feet in even closer. I actually reduced the length right before the con, cutting the wooden dowell connection and using a 3D printed socket to hold the two parts together with some Shoe Goo. If it doesn't affect the stance of the puppet too much, I'll bring my feet right up to his.
-Travelling with the body armour was quite a pain. I'm going to separate the tank section from the rest of the armour, and attach it likely with a buttload of magnets. This will also make attaching the armour to the spine much easier (I already have a flap on the tank that opens up)
-I'd like to change the connection between limbs. Instead of using keychains, I hope to use elastic, like the Olaf puppet I have previously shared. This will reduce the distance between the limbs when they're not stretched, and reduce the effect of any "sagging" of the thighs/biceps due to gravity. I'll still need to make them detachable too
-I want to repaint the orange on the body armour. You may or may not be able to notice how the paint on the hips or biceps are a lot more reflective. This is due to how the Leak Seal came out smoothly on those parts, but not the body. My plan is to smoothen out the orange parts on the body with Flex Bond, and then go over it again with the orange paint (Plaid FX Orange Mutant Shift), which out of fear of not having enough, I have three times the amount I originally needed. Along with this, I want to try my hand at adding some highlights, to give more contrast to the shadows.

Let's take a break! Here's a photo by bishopmilitaria after the meetup of the first time Grunther has seen the top of people's heads.
20221105_152454.jpg

-The hip armour is attached to the puppet simply with a large safety pin. The original plan was to use buckles to attach it (same with the chest armour), so I will install buckles on the inner stuffing pouch to clip onto those parts of armour.
-The toes held up surprisingly well, and really only got scuffed up when walking on the concrete on the roof. I can salvage the toes easily enough, but I also want to find a durable, clear protective layer of some sorts to stop the scuffing.
-I need to make the neck seal wider and longer. I didn't notice until later on that sometimes it didn't cover and hide the spine to the head.
-I want to paint the PVC pipe into my back black, or at least charcoal grey. This was on my list of things to do, but didn't have time to sand the PVC, paint it and leave it enough time to dry.
-Gotta add some storage inside the tank. I carried a backpack around with me which, because I didn't plan ahead, covered the cushion cover on the back with my logo on it.
-Some stitches need to be fixed up (to hide the stitches) or extended
-Of course, if I get time I wanna get the hands working again! I had to ditch them for a number of reasons, but I want to simplify the system to reduce weight and force required to close the fists

I'm not too sure if I will make posts of all the WIP shots and stories I have, but if anyone has questions on any of the processes, please let me know!

There's been a few smallish updates in a number of things I need to get done, so here we go:
First one is, I ACTUALLY found a tub big enough to hold everything! Well, not the tank armour, but that's expected. This tub is 160L and while the feet aren't in there yet, it should still hold them (luckily it's mostly squishy plushies). Included is a benchy for scale.
IMG20230213124152.jpg

Next up is some ergonomic adjustments. I've changed the way the strapping works to be more reliable as well as comfortable by distributing the load more, but the real test will be when I test the full weight of the puppet again. Can't show photos of that because by itself, it doesn't look too family friendly. To go with the strapping, I bought to shoulder pads that will slip around the straps, which will also alleviate stress from my shoulders (which was the worst part of the entire puppet). Those are shown below, along with a belt pouch that should be able to hold my phone, wallet and business card case, and an adjustable water bottle holster I made where I can hold the big iron aluminum on my hip. These last two things will keep both my hands and back free of holding anything, so long as I don't get my grubby hands on merch.

IMG20230213124412.jpg

And finally is some work on the tank. Like I said on my last post, I wanted to split it for easier transport. THAT was a scary thing to do. It's taken me a while to figure out how I want it to be held together, but what I'm doing is a series of buckles that will hold the two parts firmly together, while a number of magnets will keep it all aligned. Once this is sorted, I can re-seal the foam and paint it again for a glossier finish.

IMG20230213124102.jpg
IMG20230213124034.jpg

There's been a few smallish updates in a number of things I need to get done, so here we go:
First one is, I ACTUALLY found a tub big enough to hold everything! Well, not the tank armour, but that's expected. This tub is 160L and while the feet aren't in there yet, it should still hold them (luckily it's mostly squishy plushies). Included is a benchy for scale.
View attachment 327865

Next up is some ergonomic adjustments. I've changed the way the strapping works to be more reliable as well as comfortable by distributing the load more, but the real test will be when I test the full weight of the puppet again. Can't show photos of that because by itself, it doesn't look too family friendly. To go with the strapping, I bought to shoulder pads that will slip around the straps, which will also alleviate stress from my shoulders (which was the worst part of the entire puppet). Those are shown below, along with a belt pouch that should be able to hold my phone, wallet and business card case, and an adjustable water bottle holster I made where I can hold the big iron aluminum on my hip. These last two things will keep both my hands and back free of holding anything, so long as I don't get my grubby hands on merch.

View attachment 327864

And finally is some work on the tank. Like I said on my last post, I wanted to split it for easier transport. THAT was a scary thing to do. It's taken me a while to figure out how I want it to be held together, but what I'm doing is a series of buckles that will hold the two parts firmly together, while a number of magnets will keep it all aligned. Once this is sorted, I can re-seal the foam and paint it again for a glossier finish.

View attachment 327866View attachment 327867
Dude it is all about comfort for sure. I just can't get over this puppet, just wow every time I see it. Great job

This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back