Comic Con Vs Dragoncon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been to either, but I want to go to Dragoncon more since I find more interest in general sci/fi fantasy versus primarily comic books (though comic con has grown to encompass a lot more, especially in regards to movies). Of course, comic-con is a lot closer so I'll be seeing that first most likely.

Now what about PAX? Video-game centered expo. =P Just looked at the panels and I want to see almost every single one, unlike at an anime expo where I want to go around 15% of what's shown.

comicon is HUGE, so it gets a lot of guests, panels, merch etc. that dcon doesnt get. but the size is also the downfall. since dcon is smaller, you dont have to wait in super mega crazy lines, arent rushed to get somewhere, and its easier to navigate. i really really want to go to comicon, but dragoncon is a priority in my life now.

Comic-con and Dragon*con have two really different feels/vibes/attitudes/whatever, so it is almost hard to compare them.

Comic-con is almost more "mainstream" at this point, and it gets a lot more industry people, big announcements, and more "current" stars and guests, so it has almost a more professional feel to it, almost like E3 at this point.

Dragon*Con, however, is just about the quintessential party/hang out con. People go to have a good time and enjoy themselves, not to get the latest updates on the industry. As an indication of this, it always seems to be that the people not in costume are in the minority at Dragon*con.

Cadet said:
Comic-con and Dragon*con have two really different feels/vibes/attitudes/whatever, so it is almost hard to compare them.

Comic-con is almost more "mainstream" at this point, and it gets a lot more industry people, big announcements, and more "current" stars and guests, so it has almost a more professional feel to it, almost like E3 at this point.

Dragon*Con, however, is just about the quintessential party/hang out con. People go to have a good time and enjoy themselves, not to get the latest updates on the industry. As an indication of this, it always seems to be that the people not in costume are in the minority at Dragon*con.

i like that. its pretty dead on.

Last edited by a moderator:
now i'm a really big fan of comic con. since i've been going there since i was 7 (except for the past 3 years) i've seen it grow more and more. so yeah it's mainstream, but it also has lots of oppurtunities for the little guy because they have there sections there to show the big guys what they got. i remember when comic con only used one little part of the san diego convention center.... the good old days. each year after that it got bigger and bigger. next year i'm going to go.

as for dcon, i have never been there so i can't really have an opinion about it. but since i live over in the east coast now, next year i'm definately going to have to go and compare them.

i have alot of cons i have on a list i'm going to be at, so next year is definately going to be eventful. i think it's roughly 20 cons i have on the list :)

I really want to go to D*Con...but I just remembered it's probably going to be on the same date as PAX in the future, and I know next year I promised my friend I would go to PAX with him. I definitely have to make it out for D*Con sometime since it sounds right up my alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back