Commander Shepard-first build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with golem95 it kinda looks small, and is it just me looks warped a lot, what paper did you use? Hopefully i will soon post my build of carter, mass effect helm, and frostmourn from world of warcraft and some try and error pics :p

Yeah I guess that could be an upside, I've learned a lot from building this first one. do you have any tips for making it the right size?

Sure thing, would love to help out!
I find that everyone gets frazzled when it comes to scaling.

Ok, being that this style of helmet has one of the lowest front jaw pieces is worth noting. This helmets final resting position (when completely done) should sit 1" below your chin. So what you want to do is stand in front of a mirror and measure from the lowest point of your chin, to the tip of your head, then add 2"; one for the final position of the helm and one for the length that you will lose. (due to glassing, rondo and padding etc...)

Eg:
10" - measurement from tip of chin to top of head.
2" - extra space
10+2=12"

Then convert to mm as that is what pep viewer uses:
12" x 25.4mm = 304.8mm (round up to 305)
(keeping in mind that 25.4 must be used as this is the number that converts inches to mm)

Then just add this number to pep viewers scale height and tada, done!

If you have any other questions or need any further help, don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,
Cereal.

Sure thing, would love to help out!
I find that everyone gets frazzled when it comes to scaling.

Ok, being that this style of helmet has one of the lowest front jaw pieces is worth noting. This helmets final resting position (when completely done) should sit 1" below your chin. So what you want to do is stand in front of a mirror and measure from the lowest point of your chin, to the tip of your head, then add 2"; one for the final position of the helm and one for the length that you will lose. (due to glassing, rondo and padding etc...)

Eg:
10" - measurement from tip of chin to top of head.
2" - extra space
10+2=12"

Then convert to mm as that is what pep viewer uses:
12" x 25.4mm = 304.8mm (round up to 305)
(keeping in mind that 25.4 must be used as this is the number that converts inches to mm)

Then just add this number to pep viewers scale height and tada, done!

If you have any other questions or need any further help, don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,
Cereal.

Thanks a bunch dude! You're a huge help. This is my first pep ever so I had a feeling that I was going to mess it up some how, but it's all good.

I'm very impressed for a first pep, I scrapped my first one part way through assembly. It is certainly something that gets easier with practice.

Some strips looked like they are a bit warped, did you use cardstock? Heavier paper tends to warp less. Less warping means less Bondo, and thus a much lighter helmet (and a lot less sanding :) ). Anyways, keep at it, you are doing great!

It might be that the parts are long, curved pieces, and the bucket you have in it seems to be pushing it outward too. But that might be how to the picture looks. I say, do your resin and fiberglassing and bondo work on it, for the experience, but if you can't correct the smashed appearance or if it turns out too small, do another with more, smaller pieces and see if that helps.

It might be that the parts are long, curved pieces, and the bucket you have in it seems to be pushing it outward too. But that might be how to the picture looks. I say, do your resin and fiberglassing and bondo work on it, for the experience, but if you can't correct the smashed appearance or if it turns out too small, do another with more, smaller pieces and see if that helps.

Seeing as how it's small I don't see how making it smaller would help...

Seeing as how it's small I don't see how making it smaller would help...

I believe Kyre meant that you could make the overall pattern size larger, but break it down into more pieces (basically making it a higher-resolution version). The downside is more cutting and gluing, but the upside is that the pep model ends up that much closer to reality, and needs less bondo and other finishing work (in theory).

But mostly, it does kind of look like the bucket is pushing the jaw areas outward and deforming it. What is the diameter of the bucket where the jawline meets it in those photos?

Not to be critical of you're work. But I'd say that is was a very good practice run and start on the larger one. Don't fret, I myself did most of the parts on a test build before I got to be any good at pep. Try using a Tacky glue it drys faster, giving less warp but allows you time to adjust pieces. Finely if something doesn't look right to you, ask and most of us will be more than happy to help you.:cool I hope to see you're next pep soon.

I've returned!

Well guys it's been a pretty long time since I've posted in here, but seeing as how I've got all of my craziness with school and work done with I thought I might as well revive this build and show you all what I'm up to:

251951_470619316285622_1119066583_n.jpg

536080_470619239618963_2067683006_n.jpg

539904_470619359618951_652214090_n.jpg

575848_470619202952300_279788933_n.jpg

578252_471005869580300_1129737992_n.jpg

578275_471005946246959_49447150_n.jpg

So that's what I've got for the build so far (This stuff was done over the past few days the build was on hold) just let me know what you think.

Thanks!
~Alex

Also what weapon (or Weapons) from mass effect should I make? I've barely played through any of the games so reference images would help.

Great to see progress again. I hope that school went well and that you are enjoying your break.

The templates looks thicker than ordinary paper, is that cardstock? Also, I think that pinning the templates to the foam to cut it out was brilliant. All the tutorial videos/pictures that I have seen just show people holding the template on as they trace it to the foam. The pins are a much better idea. The cuts look very clean, keep going like this and you will have an awesome suit of armour.

Also what weapon (or Weapons) from mass effect should I make? I've barely played through any of the games so reference images would help.

The M8 Avenger Assault rifle is one of the most recognizable weapons in the game, so that would be probably my #1 choice. If you are more of a biotic fan then I would go with either the Tempest SMG or the Carniflex Handcannon.

Volpin has lots of detailed pictures and a blueprint of the M8 Avenger Assault Rifle he made on his blog which is here. Thorsolli has done the Tempest SMG. Use the search function on this site or use google to search through his blog for pictures. He may have also done the Handcannon too, so check for reference pics there too.

Great to see progress again. I hope that school went well and that you are enjoying your break.

The templates looks thicker than ordinary paper, is that cardstock? Also, I think that pinning the templates to the foam to cut it out was brilliant. All the tutorial videos/pictures that I have seen just show people holding the template on as they trace it to the foam. The pins are a much better idea. The cuts look very clean, keep going like this and you will have an awesome suit of armour.

The M8 Avenger Assault rifle is one of the most recognizable weapons in the game, so that would be probably my #1 choice. If you are more of a biotic fan then I would go with either the Tempest SMG or the Carniflex Handcannon.

Volpin has lots of detailed pictures and a blueprint of the M8 Avenger Assault Rifle he made on his blog which is here. Thorsolli has done the Tempest SMG. Use the search function on this site or use google to search through his blog for pictures. He may have also done the Handcannon too, so check for reference pics there too.
Thank you for the feedback! I figured the 110 lb card stock would be the best option for making templates. I will definitely take a deeper look into the Avenger even though I don't really like it in the game, it does look cool, I think I might also do the tempest smg. I've seen a lot of people use foam for their weapons so I think that might be the road I'll go down.

If you decide to go with foam then you can find a template, pin it onto a sheet and then you have a perfect silhouette all ready to go. Bigger weapons like the rifle benefit from having some kind of support inside, wooden dowels or some kind of pipe which can double as the barrel.

Look through Evil FX's blog about how he makes his M8s out of foam for ideas/inspiration.http://bioweapons.wordpress.com/2010/08/05/m8-assault-rifle-day-1/ part one of his M8 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back