Concept Odst Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon McClain

Well, I figured the best 100th post I could have would be my ODST work in progress. I had started on the ODST back in September for a friend in conjunction with my MKVI, but as he lost interest and I put more time into the MKVI the ODST fell by the way side. Now that a Utah winter is upon me, and the pep MKVI is mostly completed, I have been digging around for things to do in my "spare" time. Voila, ODST. I had seen a sketch on one of the other ODST threads, and really preferred the look rather than the common WETA and game version ODSTs. You will notice a few differences, mostly in the shins and in the helmet. On the helmet there are the blade looking things by the vents and the lamp on the crown, as well, the visor seems much more supdued, it doesn't stick out so much. The shins appear to be much smoother and I really like the look of them better than the WETA and other versions. So the plan for the final version to look just like the concept drawing. I have the chest plate done, scaled to about 14 inches. The helm is started at a scale of 27 cm height, but looks like it will be at least 10% too small. I am using the new model and unfold done by forged reclaimer found in this thread: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22663 . It is a nice helm, I like the unfold. I ran out of glue so continuing will have to wait until tomorrow. I will scratch build the lamp for the top and the vanes on the side, using this helm as a base. As far as the shins go, well, I had hoped for some help. If there was someone that could model and unfold them I would be eternally grateful, and would love to find someway to even the effort. So here it is, let me know what you think:

Halo3-ODST_CharConcept-05.jpg

The ODST concept sketch

IMG_0482.jpg

ODST Chest

IMG_0476.jpg

Last nights progress

IMG_0478.jpg

Side view of last nights progress

IMG_0480.jpg

When I ran out of glue

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Progress to this point

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
That is Rundowns ODST Helmet, yes?

Very good unfold, excellent assembly!

No, that is Forged Reclaimer's ODST helmet. Just follow the link that Brandon posted above, you can find either my unfold, or Soullesssin's unfold there.

Last edited by a moderator:
thought something felt familiar about that helm, your the first person i have seen who as made any progress on building it.

all the peps look cool, nice work.

I have got to say, Forged Reclaimer, excellent job on the model. I love being able to add the detail with floating faces, it makes the pep so much smoother. The model is fantastic. Soullessin, well, your unfold is great. It has an organic and smooth feel. It has been a slow process to get it nice and clean, but I am REALLY liking it. I think it looks soooooooo much better than the other models and unfolds (no offense nightshade and Rundown). The others were great, but this is phenomenal, I can hardly wait to get some more glue and get this done!!!

Alright, so the 27cm height is too small, I will have to go with one that is 10% bigger and see how that goes. Finished up the ODST today, finally got some glue and got it all done. I really like the look of it. I haven't done the add ons to this helm, I will do so on the one that fits. So, here are the updated pics:

IMG_0485.jpg

New version of the ODST

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

Back of the helmet

So I added cardboard support in a few areas: Under the brim, the insets by the visor, above the ears, and behind the vents on the side of the helm. It helped a lot to stiffen the helm, it doesn't really need internal support, it doesn't really warp at all. It was definitely an interesting build. Hope y'all like it!

something is bugging me, if you look at the ear portion where it would have that rounded section before the patter it seems really flat, maybe you added supports there but if its from the unfold i think this would have helped? i don't know though im not a pep expert lol.

this might have given it a sharper edge? what do you think.

the cyan edge.

helm.png

Yeah, that probably would have helped mark the transition. As the pep stands, there really isn't any way to create that shift in the patter. I noticed it was kinda flat, I didn't add any support there. If you do an update on the pep, let me know so I can print and do that one. For me, it doesn't make too much difference as it follows the concept sketch alright, which is more of the look I am going for anyway.

Glad y'all are enjoying so far. I had to put it on hold for the holidays, I am in Houston till the beginning of january, but am working on the new reach files while I am here, almost done the helmet now, I am on the sanding/bondo right now. I will be back at the odst in a couple weeks.

Brandon McClain said:
Just an update, I did an unfold of the Dutch backpack from Jason225's obj file. For those who want it, here you go: Dutch Backpack.pdo

The sniper pack is next.

EDIT: Here is the sniper backpack SniperBackPackbyBMcClain.pdo

Mr. McClain,

Your sniper backpack is phenomenal! Absolutely wonderful detail work, I can't wait to get it home and start building. I promise to PM you with photos once it's completed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OBJ files for the two backpacks come from jason225. I do my own unfolds. So Jason deserves the credit for the objs, but the peps are all mine. Glad y'all like them. The helmet comes from forged reclaimer, he does a really good job. I like his work a lot. I really look forward to him getting started on Reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back