Props Cortana Hologram Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton188

RCO
Member DIN
S188
After finding on old working computer and buying a good square monitor, I have begun working on a hologram projector to display Cortana and other various Halo items. Spent most of today building the platform itself, as well as cutting the plexiglass pyramid. The previous week I researched and gathered a bunch of 3D models I can display and tossed them into Adobe Premiere to make a video of them. End goal is to have this done so we can use it at our 405th booths here in the Colonial region.

If you've never seen a makeshift hologram projector, I suggest you check out this guys build (Though mine won't be as nearly as cool as his)
32886610_1240931306043213_3120848809232433152_n.jpg
33167898_1240931356043208_899528265322987520_n.jpg
33021680_1240931396043204_8942070791571243008_n.jpg

UPDATE!! Finished all the wood work and gave the box a nice UNSC green and black color scheme. Going to pick up some aluminum edge guards to go around the edges, and I'm also going to spray paint on some UNSC logos and such. Going to have a nice long Memorial Day weekend to work on this.

33167017_2336753736338443_8289402583403986944_n.jpg
33362821_2336753653005118_3589353527031365632_n.jpg

UPDATE!!
Box and stage are now finished, with the exception of some work on the back doors to allow ventilation and the power cord to come out. Now I just need to work on perfecting the images that will be displayed. I have a gif of Cortana standing, rocking back and forth changing her hand positions. I also have various Halo items (Warthog, Energy Sword, Covenant Carrier, Grav Hammer) As well as some cosplayers and player models that have been scanned. Some of the cosplayers I know, but some were not tagged with their respective 3D files. I even found one of our fallen brother Ash Turner, though I'm not sure if I would be allowed to showcase his armor on my platform, at least he is forever immortalized out there on the internet. Anyway, here's some pics of the finished box, as well as 2 of the images that will appear (Cortana definitely still needs work)
CIMG6206.JPG
CIMG6207.JPG
CIMG6209.JPG
CIMG6210.JPG

UPDATE!!
Here's a little sampler video of the platform in action. The overall video has 11 different images that rotate, and in between each image Cortana reappears for 1 minute. Full length of the video is 22 minutes, but when Windows Media Player is set to loop it can play indefinitely. Only thing left to do is get the back doors better situated and the whole platform is done and ready for 405th booths at cons.

UPDATE!!
Here's a little sampler video of the platform in action. The overall video has 11 different images that rotate, and in between each image Cortana reappears for 1 minute. Full length of the video is 22 minutes, but when Windows Media Player is set to loop it can play indefinitely. Only thing left to do is get the back doors better situated and the whole platform is done and ready for 405th booths at cons.

Well done good sir! Would it be possible to get the video files off of you at some point so that I could build one of these up for the Canadian West Coast table?

Yeah man, just let me know. Internet is slow here, but I'm sure i could e-mail you the file or something. Maybe put it in Dropbox if multiple people want it.
I would like to say that most likely multiple people (myself included) would like the file.
also did you make the file yourself? if so how would you go about making one?

I would like to say that most likely multiple people (myself included) would like the file.
also did you make the file yourself? if so how would you go about making one?
The video file is comprised of a .gif image of Cortana I found on HaloFanon, the Halo wiki page. The other images (Warthog, sword, grav hammer, etc) are all 3D renders I found on SketchFab. I used OBS to capture the images rotating then used Premiere Pro to further adjust and make the end film I use. The images are all flipped 180 degrees and arranged in a triangle to appear on the plexiglass correctly, I'll include a still image below from Premiere. All the images had color correction, brightness and contrast adjusted, and a color key or ultra key added to remove the background. Sadly most of the UNSC weaponry was too dark and could not be used as the color key would erase key features, as well as a few images were the background was not a solid color or too bright to be used. I'd say out of the 30 images I captured, only 12 were usable. The file I made features Cortana the most, showing her for 1 minute before fading out and bringing in another model to rotate around for 45 seconds. The video is about 15min in length, but can be set to loop on Windows Media Player meaning it can play as long as you want.
Cortana triple.png

It would be a cool (but pointless) thing tto have a hologram display for the recruitment computer.
Benton188 thanks for the info. I might try making some files of my own now.
Also another cool thing would be have Cortana from CE and then cycle through all of the cortanas

The one .gif of Cortana was all I could find that was a full body image. If you're any good at 3D modeling and animation I bet you could make just about any movement and motion you want for her, as well as any version. I'm skillful, but not that skillful lol

The one .gif of Cortana was all I could find that was a full body image. If you're any good at 3D modeling and animation I bet you could make just about any movement and motion you want for her, as well as any version. I'm skillful, but not that skillful lol
I have been meaning to get in to animation rigging and the rest of the process anyway. so eventually I may give it a go if I do I will let you know

UPDATE!!
Not much of an update, more of a here's how it went. Cortana Platform was a success at the Colonial Booth! Just wish the overhang on the front wasn't so drastic, people kept having to bend over slightly to see the platform in action. Future set-up may require the platform to be stood upon a box or on a shelf behind the booth maybe, but at it's height now it's great for kids to check it out lol. Since a few of you are looking for the file I used, I'll make another update when I get the file uploaded to a Dropbox. I'll have to find time to get it in there as my internet is really really slow and even a 15min video takes several hours to upload (n)
CIMG6212.JPG

UPDATE!!
1.5 years later and now I've made a miniature version of the platform. This time with sound, and only weighing 5lbs instead of like 30lbs lol. Made using a 10in Android tablet, the box the tablet came in, a 10in piece of plexiglass, a dowel rod, and some EVA foam. I've also added more 3D images, including some 405th members, which extend the video length to 45min now. I've included a short video of it below, and I plan on shooting a video on how to build your own eventually.

That's awesome looking mate! Loving the new compact format. I'll be patiently waiting for your How To vid thats for sure.
I was wondering how big is the whole right for the miniature version ?

That's awesome looking mate! Loving the new compact format. I'll be patiently waiting for your How To vid thats for sure.
I was wondering how big is the whole right for the miniature version ?
Dimensions for the whole thing are 11" wide x 9" deep x 12" tall. Weight is 5lbs. In comparison the first one was 25" wide x 18" deep x 18" tall and weighed close to 30lbs. Definitely an improvement on weight and transporting it. So while the new one is smaller with a smaller surface area for the image to appear, it's in turn brighter and easier to set-up on a table for display.

Dimensions for the whole thing are 11" wide x 9" deep x 12" tall. Weight is 5lbs. In comparison the first one was 25" wide x 18" deep x 18" tall and weighed close to 30lbs. Definitely an improvement on weight and transporting it. So while the new one is smaller with a smaller surface area for the image to appear, it's in turn brighter and easier to set-up on a table for display.

Oh wow that's pretty cool. It's like perfect for a display cabinet as well haha
Thanks for the info !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back