Couple Questions About Casting A Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabolzichjjl

Jr Member
i was thinking about getting some smooth-cast 300 or something of the sort to smooth out the inside of my helmet (its uncomfortable wearing a messy fiberglass job on your head). the question is, would the polymer stick to resin? moreover, would it make it any stronger?

second thing is im completely confused as to what to do with a weapon after its been pepped.. i dont think it'd be stong enough (even with a coat of resin) to stand up to silicon molding, and i doubt fiberglassing is an option... could putting a couple holes in a pepped, resined, weapon and filling it with polymer work? (not filling it filling it, but swirling it around on the inside)

mabolzichjjl said:
i was thinking about getting some smooth-cast 300 or something of the sort to smooth out the inside of my helmet (its uncomfortable wearing a messy fiberglass job on your head). the question is, would the polymer stick to resin? moreover, would it make it any stronger?

second thing is im completely confused as to what to do with a weapon after its been pepped.. i dont think it'd be stong enough (even with a coat of resin) to stand up to silicon molding, and i doubt fiberglassing is an option... could putting a couple holes in a pepped, resined, weapon and filling it with polymer work? (not filling it filling it, but swirling it around on the inside)

On the first thing, that's actually exactly what I just did to my Mark VI helmet. It works great, and certainly makes it stronger - I'm actually using it instead of any fiberglass at all. Feel free to check it out in my progress thread linked in my signature, if you're interested. Within that thread is a link to JediStumpy's tutorial on how to actually do it.

On the second thing, that's actually an issue I've been faced with recently, and it doesn't have an easy solution. Oddly enough, your proposed solution is exactly the one I settled on after a lengthy discussion with Kennanator. However, I'm tempted to just save myself the trouble and hit up the classifieds. If I end up pep'ing the weapons, though, I'll definitely use Smoothcast for the interior of the weapons. After my recent experience using it with my helmet, I think it would work out wonderfully.

You're definitely on the right track with these ideas. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
where are these magical classifieds?? i cant find them..

imma prolly order a trial kit of smooth-on to see how it works, exactly.. if it does well, i may end up putting a coat on all of my fiberglassed pieces.. (i like fiberglassing cause it doesnt pool up like a polymer would when you're doing the initial forming)

thanks for the response.. ive actually watch stumpy's video like, 4 times now.. i was just wondering if it could be used OVER the fiberglass, and more particularly, on a part thats not enclosed like a thigh piece or something..

Don't worry, the classifieds you don't find. They find you. :)

All kidding aside, I've used this method and it's great. Definitely worth giving a try.

It works fine over fiberglass and even the "mudding" method would work for open pieces.

JSwift said:
It works fine over fiberglass and even the "mudding" method would work for open pieces.

after looking it up, its a good suggestion, but id rather not mix bondo and resin...

i like the idea of plastic :]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back