crackhead09's Fiberglassing Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
masterfett said:
hey crackhead i have a question. in the tut vid on adding the resin and fiberstripps i saw that the helmet you were applying it all to was hard shelled am i correct? could you tell me what you used to get that helmet hard like that ?

well all it really is, is cardstock that has been proberly put together i did nothing else to it

Last edited by a moderator:
Zenzeigan said:
how do you fibreglass the out of reach parts, like the sungaurd?

shove it in with a pencil

Hey, I'm new here, brand new. Liked the video, and all the info on the site, but I just wanted to ask for a little clarification on the technique. I got kind of mixed up when you cut from glassing the inside to working on the outside. Do you glass the outside of the model or just glass the inside and only use the resin itself on the outside?

the choice is yours for when you resin the outside you can do it before or after you fiberglass it if your new i would suggest doing it first before you fiberglass the inside

well doing it first the resin that is will keep the resin from fiberglassing coming out of the holes and gaps left from the pepakura but may accidently cause warping whereas doing it last will be a lot easier to simply brush on the resin so if you do it last keep an eye on any resin that may leak out

Alrighty, I have all my pepakura done on the helmet and now I finally have to start the fiber glassing. I've got the technique down and the supplies and such. One thing I wanted a pointer on is fiber glassing the inside oft he visor on the helmet. Do you just have to do it by feel and if so how do you ensure that there aren't any air pockets in the space. Also, any tips about guarding against bubbles in general would be helpful. Thanks

This may sound a little stupid but work quick and take your time. When you lay the glass down, then your resin, you will get some air bubbles. Don't mix your resin fast (this will cut down on bubbles). Hard to reach areas you can use a pencil or anything else to push the glass into the little spaces. Don't rush. It won't set up on you that quick.

i used cloth and as far as i know fiberglass either comes in cloth or matt and the choice of which one to use is yours to make and theres really not much of a difference between the two

LastSpartan said:
That's the resin hardener.

Ok thanks, I couldn't hear what he said from the respirator.

Btw, did he just fiberglass paper? It looks like paper and I heard that the whole thing doesn't work on it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crackhead09 @ Apr 26 2008, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>well here it is guys my fiberglassing tutorial its a little different from the stickies but this is my approach to this stage in fiberglassing and you can choose to either resin it first or after and i hope this helps out with people who are confused

"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
again lemme know if there is any mistakes

oh and the camera man is Kurokuma22</div>
I figured I would check this video out. It's mostly just a refresher on what I already know. But I would like to know, do foam brushes work better or bristle? I've used both with mild success with foam but a bit more with bristle. I think I'll give the hand fiberglassing a try. I normally use brushes but there seemed to much more success at ridding the air bubbles. I'll keep you posted.

if your using mat how many layers would be fine? i put 3 down but theres still a lil puddle taken a decent while to dry..but i dont no if its cause theres a lill bit of moisture out or if its cause i put 3 layers in and i know you have to use alot of fiberglass lol

redragon74 said:
if your using mat how many layers would be fine? i put 3 down but theres still a lil puddle taken a decent while to dry..but i dont no if its cause theres a lill bit of moisture out or if its cause i put 3 layers in and i know you have to use alot of fiberglass lol

yeah i need to know how many layers of mat to use also...
and should i do the inside in fiberglass first then the outside? or the other way around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back