crackhead09's Fiberglassing Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
redragon74 said:
inside always the inside

if you do the outside you lose the detail :p

ok but there isn't much detail in the halo 2 odst helmet :p...
did you figure out how many layers of the fiberglass mat you should use?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think its about 1-2 since its so thick and it would be so strong on 1 but im still not sure but i would go with between that, if you get a small puddle like mine formed just take your brush and smoothen it out everywhere through the helmet

redragon74 said:
i think its about 1-2 since its so thick and it would be so strong on 1 but im still not sure but i would go with between that, if you get a small puddle like mine formed just take your brush and smoothen it out everywhere through the helmet

ok thanks...

and for the visor... i am using a piece of clear plastic (the stuff teachers use on overhead projectors). what would be the best way to glue it to the helmet after i fiberglass it? or should i glue it on first?

fiberglass it first, bondo detail it etc. do all that and when your done painting install your visor

use something like JBweld/plastic weld

redragon74 said:
fiberglass it first, bondo detail it etc. do all that and when your done painting install your visor

use something like JBweld/plastic weld

... would hot glue work?

Hot glue might melt a transparency. You can try it. If it works, you'll probably have to trim the excess from it.

tlither said:
Hot glue might melt a transparency. You can try it. If it works, you'll probably have to trim the excess from it.

didn't think about that... i have tacky glue but it doesn't seem to stick to the transparency very well...

i'm going to test hot glue on a different sheet of trans. first

EDIT: crap i think i bought the wrong resin... i got Bondo Glass...
bondo-glass.jpg

and it had Cream Hardener instead of the clear liquid hardener... did i get the wrong stuff or will this work the same??? if it is the wrong stuff should i return the fiberglass mat and get the cloth or is the mat fine?

spiker369 said:
didn't think about that... i have tacky glue but it doesn't seem to stick to the transparency very well...

i'm going to test hot glue on a different sheet of trans. first

EDIT: crap i think i bought the wrong resin... i got Bondo Glass...
bondo-glass.jpg

and it had Cream Hardener instead of the clear liquid hardener... did i get the wrong stuff or will this work the same??? if it is the wrong stuff should i return the fiberglass mat and get the cloth or is the mat fine?

i think thats body filler. hold on to that because you will need it.

Graverobber said:
i think thats body filler. hold on to that because you will need it.
no, its not body filler. Its basically fiberglass resin with little bits of fiberglass cloth already in it. You can use it on cloth like resin, but i don't like it nearly as much. Its good for resining when you're not using cloth though

I couldn't entirely hear what he said when he was adding the hardner to the resin. How many drops of hardner did he put in the resin? Looks to be less than 10 drops for what seemed like about 3-4oz of resin. If this is the case, wouldn't it take forever for it to cure? I know that I use about 15 drops for 2oz of resin (directions recommend 10 per ounce). Am I missing something? I would love to have the delay in curing so I can do more surface at a time, but I don't want it to remain tacky for the next two weeks.

well what happened was in the video it took it like 2 hours to finish curing on that patch after that i do what i always do squirt it until it looked right then mix

Would Tacky Glue be ok to use to make the Pep helmet? I know you said that you used Elmer's Glue, but I wasn't sure if that effected the way that the resin or resin/fiber glassing because Elmer's is water soluble.

elmers is fine enough.

also, that bondo glass is acceptable, you are just going to want to kill yourself, its for filling in deep gashes in car bodies, much stronger than bondo. Its the same as bondo hair- consistency is very thick.

and, I use mat, its very strong, you only need one layer, but it is very annoying to apply.

Good to know how to do this, but i got a question.
Would i go about doing armor in the same way?

Start with a cardstock base the fiberglass it in the same way, or would i go about it differently.
Sorry, im new...>>;

Prepare for a dumb question: Did you actually use the fiberglass cloth on the outside of the helm or only on the inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back