CrazedOne's Reach Foam Build (PIC HEAVY) 99% Complete! (Pg 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good, did you use foam templates for the forearms or make them from
Scratch?

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/39688-The-great-Foam-Foray Here is a link to my foam build. I only needed to cut one side to get in and out easily with my chest piece. If you choose to use the method I used to hide the seem you should have little to no misalignment. The Velcro I used are command strips that i super glued on.

Interesting. I'll have to consider that method. Thanks!

Looking good, did you use foam templates for the forearms or make them from
Scratch?

A little bit of both. I mainly used the template for the upper half, and modified the template a bit combined with freehand for the lower half.

Its lookin good. I cant help but think "Lego Spartan" with all the bright colors.

Thanks :D I dont know where everybody gets these white foamies that make it look all good!

UPDATE TIME!!!!!

I managed to knock out both knees and shoulders since they were all pretty easy. I might revisit the commando shoulder since it's so low def. Im also gonna wait to attach the shoulders to the biceps until their painted, seems easier to pain that way.

a7491f01-bb8d-4c8f-b7ed-4b205a9120d5_zpsf1a04315.jpg
image_zps5f5b9ebd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoulders and shins look great. The knee pieces and shins look well proportioned, which I find many people don't get quite right, so nice job on that.

Shoulders and shins look great. The knee pieces and shins look well proportioned, which I find many people don't get quite right, so nice job on that.
Thanks! The proportioning has been a pain at times, like in this next...

UPDATE!!!!!!!

So I got the boots built. Process was basically all freehand based heavily on RoxyRoo's method. The first attempt had the boots WAY TOO HUGE!!! (stupid big feet...) I am pretty mad because it used up like 2 foam boards before I was like "these things are huge, feels like I'm wearing boxes on my feet". So I put those aside and tried again, which turned out much better. They feel more comfortable and easier to walk in. Plus the toe piece looks much better thanks to 15 solid minutes of heat gun forming. Shoe fits snugly in, and the top guard closes with velcro.
image_zpse98de31b.jpg
image_zps1fbd4074.jpg
image_zpsba492ac4.jpg

I also fixed the knees up to make them more accurate, just cut off the little wings I had on the bottom and connected it solidly to the shin.
image_zpsf59f85f7.jpg

I even built the hard case, using HaloGodesses template. It still looks pretty rough, but it'll get it's shape once its attached to the thigh. I also have a few earth magnets to attach the lid (very small 3/16" magnets)
image_zpsfab18cd5.jpg
image_zpsab8e5d14.jpg

I just have to make the hand plates (got some paintball gloves the other day) and the tac pad holster for my phone, and everything will be built! (Except the helmet, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to build it in time for PAX.) I should have those parts built by thursday, and can start on the heavy detail work!

I also have another question. I need a container to transport this armor, and I know places like Target and Walmart have stuff, but was curious if there were any specific recommendations. Thanks all!

Lookin good, looking good. At this rate, I think you'll have plenty of time to make a helmet in time for PAX. About armor transport, I use a plastic storage container just like you might use for storage or other purposes, and it seems to work well. From what I've heard, many people use similar containers to store their armor. Now if you need to ship your suit (you mentioned going to PAX) then that's a different story, considering the size of the container (it's around 2 feet X 3 feet X 2 feet in dimensions).

Thanks :D I dont know where everybody gets these white foamies that make it look all good!

I get mine from Hobby Lobby. They have a nice selection of colors and thicknesses. It is more expensive buying it that way because you buy each one individually. But that's what I'm using for my build. you might be able to tell with the sniper rifle.

Keep up the good work.

Lookin good, looking good. At this rate, I think you'll have plenty of time to make a helmet in time for PAX. About armor transport, I use a plastic storage container just like you might use for storage or other purposes, and it seems to work well. From what I've heard, many people use similar containers to store their armor. Now if you need to ship your suit (you mentioned going to PAX) then that's a different story, considering the size of the container (it's around 2 feet X 3 feet X 2 feet in dimensions).

Thanks! I did find some good quality containers at Lowe's, tied with bungie cord should work very well. They arent obscenely big so they should be able to check on a flight.

I get mine from Hobby Lobby. They have a nice selection of colors and thicknesses. It is more expensive buying it that way because you buy each one individually. But that's what I'm using for my build. you might be able to tell with the sniper rifle.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you! Thats where I get my foamies, but they never have black or white, so I have to go with the multi-colored... but thats ok! I get a pack of 12 foamie sheets for like 6 bucks!

Minor Update!

Im working on detail at this point, and realized something. I mixed up one left and right piece on the torso, and i think thats why some parts were not lining up right... No time to make a new torso at this point, and im happy with the one I have now, but maybe sometime in the future I'll make a new torso.

I'm also having trouble with some strapping. I tried rivets to attach nylon straps, but the rivet popped right out of the foam. The rivets might be too short, so I'll try some longer ones, but any advice? Also, when using earth magnets, how would you attach those? I was thinking super glue, but am not entirely sure on that.

Update Time!!!

I got so much work done this last week! Plasti-dipped some parts, detailed others, biggest leap was detailing the torso. Still gotta add those few pieces on the front, but overall it's done!

image_zpsd1ef1909.jpg
image_zpsf985f341.jpg
image_zps87dc6e8d.jpg
image_zpsde369c5b.jpg
image_zps4118e78c.jpg
image_zps07c81062.jpg

I just gotta build the helmet, and the building phase will be 100% done! Unfortunately all Lowes had was the multicolored EVA foam, so the helmet is gonna be pretty Lego styled until it's plasti-dipped.

I was also thinking about vaccuforming a visor so I could get those indented lines in there, but am open to visor suggestions!

I am excited to bring you this next..

UPDATE TIME!!!!!

I am officially out of the building phase! Got the helmet wrapped up this evening, added the last details to the torso, and am ready to plasti-dip it all and paint!

Helmet still needs some fine tuning, sanding, cleaning up but it's all built!
image_zps6f71dd3c.jpg

Big thanks to Spacemeat for providing a foam template and providing insight through his own air assault thread
image_zps3cf8ec0a.jpg

I gotta tell you, this thing was a mother to scale properly. I tried 12" height, but after building the top right of the helmet (like 6-7 pieces that make the top curve) I thought "this thing seems too small". So I upped it to 13.5" "still seems too small" at the same point. Upped it to 15". Got both top curves done with a bit of the middle and thought "this thing is going to be huge". Downed back to 13". Built the entire top third of the helmet including the sides and thought "still seems too big". Went back down to 12" (where I started of course) and realized it was the right size all along. Wasted a board and a half of foam on that realization... Live and learn I guess.
image_zps8f1e0e4d.jpg

I'll show you all those huge pieces with the rest of my "prototypes" once the suit is done.

I want to add some weathering and dirtying up to it, but that might have to come after PAX. I have about 2 and a half weeks to get this thing painted and all ready, including a move to a new apartment in the next week or so, and dont see myself having the time. But we'll find out.

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I'm really in crunch mode to get this suit done for PAX. Working on the finishing touches as we speak. I'll have plenty of pix post PAX! (Try saying that 5 times fast)

Sorry its been so long since the last update. But now it's time for...

SUPER UPDATE!!!!!!

The suit is 99% done! The paint is all done, but I had to cut the weathering and blackwash due to lack of time. Those are on my to-do list along with post con repairs and electronics. Time for pics!

Painting it up!
image_zps8691c713.jpg

Painting up that bucket!
image_zps6b9ec5a5.jpg

Some thigh details
image_zpsb8892778.jpg

Letting it all dry out
image_zps39619e38.jpg

At the hotel in Seattle, all set out
image_zps5bfce182.jpg

Bit of a selfie before hitting the show floor
image_zps4c09e5de.jpg

Some Con Pics!
3281855-dsc05478_zps25370f30.jpg
image_zpse449ea0b.jpg
image_zpsb2c04539.jpg
2824367-gallery_zpsf9007881.jpg

It was great meeting some of you at PAX, and thanks to Longshot for letting me tag along your night shoot on Saturday night! Additional thanks to spacemeat for the help with the helmet. Your armor is sick in person! If you saw the Halo 4 Global Championship Sunday, I had a few seconds of airtime at the beginning along with the other spartans! Now that I have some time to breath, I'm gonna plan on upgrades and repairs.

Wow, so many people finishing their suits. Came out great, and it'll look even better when you add some weathering. What parts do you have to repair?

Awesome armor man it'll look sweet with the final touch ups and I'm gonna have to get that assault rifle from that last pic in the back XD

Suit looks great!
Awesome armor man it'll look sweet with the final touch ups and I'm gonna have to get that assault rifle from that last pic in the back XD
Thanks! Im taking a short breather form the suit for a little, then it's back to work!

Wow, so many people finishing their suits. Came out great, and it'll look even better when you add some weathering. What parts do you have to repair?
Thank you! I gotta fix up the boot straps so they hold better, part of the front cod plate is coming off a bit, and the soles of the boots started to come off (thank goodness I brought glue with me to make repairs in between days)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back