Cujo's ODST Armor Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cujo3131

Greetings Peeps of the 405th....

I know a lot of you have been following my foam work on the Ma5C Rifle over on this thread.

Well tonight I decided to shift gears a bit and try to see if I could wrap my head around this moving from Pep to Foam stuff for armor. I had a lot of smaller pieces of EVA foam left laying around from the rifles, so started working on cutting out pieces from pep files and putting a couple patterns together...

Now I have been working on Captain Kirrou's awesome HD ODST helmet so I figured I would work with his shoulder files... Kirrou does awesome work... like his stuff.

So I printed out the non-hinged version on regular paper and took tape and put togehter what I imagined it should look like and set off to the band saw with some scrap pieces to test angles....

armor01.jpg

Here is what I got after one screw up and redo....

Now I used the default size of the file... and I am wondering, is the top plate of the piece suppose to swallow your shoulder (be overly big) or should it be close and form fitting? Just curious if I am in the ballpark or if I should try it again larger?

I have not gotten to the pyramid middle inserts on these yet... ran out of time and the angles were giving some fits... would love to see closeups of anyone else's who would like to share....

Whatya think? How did I do so far?

Thanks gang... will get things posted as I go....

Cujo3131 :cool

Those are looking nice and clean. I was thinking about making the ODST shoulders out of foam for my build too. Btw, love your Ma5C. Good luck.

Those are looking nice and clean. I was thinking about making the ODST shoulders out of foam for my build too. Btw, love your Ma5C. Good luck.

thanks man... it's just a start... but, I'll try to finish these two tomorrow and then work some more on other parts and the rifles...

Cujo

Nope....not expensive at all... The grey foam is just the EVA anti-fatigue mats from Harbor Freight. 4- 2'x2' pads in a pack for about $15
The black foam is just 1/4" Craft foam sheet from Hobby Lobby.... 12" x 18" piece for $1.99. These two shoulders were just made out of the smaller scrap pieces of this I has laying around....

Cujo3131

Ok.... a bit of a update tonight....

I spent the afternoon after school work on the center section of one of the shoulderplates, trying to get the engles right.... Man what I going batty.... then I took a deep breath.... had a NICE cold Mountain Dew... and sat down and thought thru it again....

Here is what I ended up on for the one shoulder:

armor02.jpg

Looking at my shoulder... I notice that it is very wide.... looking at
a couple refence images on the web, lloks like it should be more narrow
and longer... maybe I am just looking wrong though....

Anyway... pretty pleased with the one shoulder and will finish the other shoulder
tomorrow.... How do most people ATTACH these type shoulders?

Thanks as always for looking!

Cujo3131

I agree that it looks just a little wide but its still looking mad good! Im hoping to start my own foam Marine build over the summer, i hope i can make it look as clean as yours. keep up the good work!

Thanks Waynehead and TheBearMan...

I like the overall look of this set from Kirrou... Have also thought of possibly looking at Hugh's shoulders and comparing the two to look at width etc....

but will finish these first :p

Cujo3131

armor03.jpg

Well tonight's update....

I managed to finish shoulder number #2 tonight... did a lil trimming on both to make them
symetrical... and viola.....

What do you think?

Cujo3131

Thanks Rancor! Much appreciated!

Now onto the next parts... thinking that the next parts will be Hugh's Shins V2. I really like the look of them and Hugh has made them crazy easy with the low number of Pep pieces... Now if I can just get them to fit around my huge calf's we'll be good!

Cujo3131

huge calves are both a blessing and a curse. blessing cuz the ladies love em, curse for armor making

Thanks Rancor! Much appreciated!

Now onto the next parts... thinking that the next parts will be Hugh's Shins V2. I really like the look of them and Hugh has made them crazy easy with the low number of Pep pieces... Now if I can just get them to fit around my huge calf's we'll be good!

Cujo3131

I have that same problem with the cod piece. lol J/K

LOL, I'm having issues with remaining inspired to do my mk vi armor. you my friend have reinvigorated my inspiration

LOL, I'm having issues with remaining inspired to do my mk vi armor. you my friend have reinvigorated my inspiration

Glad I could help Rancor1....

If you can take inspiration from a 38 yr old who has never actually played ODST but making ODST armor.... then COOL!

I have played other Halo edition....but not this one... but I love the helmet and armor set....

I will be correcting that gaming problem after X-mas... already have a copy of ODST on the way.... call me "a little behind"

HA!

Cujo3131

This armor is awesome so far! I'll bet it's light as feather and it looks good. I think the shoulders looks fine. The only part that looks a little wide is the center pyramid piece but other than that they look smokin. I can't wait to see some more progress.

Thanks for replying to my questions by the way I appreciate it and it's looking great so far. (Funny story about my armor a guy at a Con I went to thought my cod piece was a pocket until he had his had almost on my region lol.)

This armor is awesome so far! I'll bet it's light as feather and it looks good. I think the shoulders looks fine. The only part that looks a little wide is the center pyramid piece but other than that they look smokin. I can't wait to see some more progress.

Grave: Yes it is VERY light as it is now... eventually I'll want to seal it with something and paint it, but I can't imagine that'll add much more weight. I agree the center pyramid looks a lil wide.... I cut most of the angles on those pieces at 30 degrees and put them together as closely as I could to the Pep file... they just ended up wider... I suppose I can live with it...

I ended up trying what Kirrou had suggested for his hinged shoulders and ran a bolt from the back plate thru the pyramid on both sides (makes since if you have seen the pep file). It worked "ok" BUT there ain't that much flex at all... I think if I rebuild this set in the furture that I am going to customize the sniper plates slightly... and attach them using some nice black nylon shoe string thru the holes... that will give it more of a loose hanging quality and it should move easily with arm movement that way.... Just a thought....

We learn as we go :)

BTW... Finished the kneecap portion of Hugh's Shin pep last night.... in between shoveling mountains of snow here..... I am going to build the pep file first on this one and then see if it fits before hitting the foam.... this should also let me brainstorm the foam first....

I'll keep everyone posted :)

Cujo3131

If you can take inspiration from a 38 yr old who has never actually played ODST but making ODST armor.... then COOL!

Lol, it's ok i didn't play ODST untill last month, and now the only thing i can really think about is making ODST armour.

*Btw, shoulders are looking great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back