Custom Mandalorian Build: W.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting method for your armor. I like it. I went with the old trashcan plastic method, and scratch built my bucket. I'm liking it very much though, and you are making some great progress! Oya ner vod!

Vor'e vod! I would normally go with the trashcan plastic method but my dad had this huge box of cardboard he was going to throw out, so I thought I'd go with what I had and put it to use.

May I ask how you attached your armor to your vest/ undershirt? I'm trying to figure out what to do, I think I'm gonna try to find some big snaps because I don't really want to bolt it. Any recommendations?

Looks great so far! Usually I critisize, telling people what they could do better, but yours looks great!

I taught a summerschool class on pepakura and made a mando helmet for the demonstration. I liked the helmet so much I figured I'd go on!

At the moment I am making custom armor out of cardboard. It will be heavy armor like Jorge, but mando style. Keep up the good work.

Looks great so far! Usually I critisize, telling people what they could do better, but yours looks great!

I taught a summerschool class on pepakura and made a mando helmet for the demonstration. I liked the helmet so much I figured I'd go on!

At the moment I am making custom armor out of cardboard. It will be heavy armor like Jorge, but mando style. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! And man, I wish there was summerschool pepakura classes where I live! I would join it just for fun. Also, a heavy style mando suit sounds awesome! Great idea, I hope to see the finished product!.

Alright, here's an update on my armor. (I haven't been working on it in a while because I was in Belize for a week on a mission trip.)

I just about finished the helmet pep (Thanks for the file Skip): (I finished the base, but I'm making the ears separate to attach after the bondo.)
1024.jpg

1024.jpg

I'm waiting for this weekend to finish fiberglassing the armor and start (and hopefully finish) fiberglassing the lid.
I'm going to try to make a RC style Vibroblade Gauntlet from cardboard as a side project, (manually operated no springs due to forum rules and legal issues.)

No problem, I'll just need your email and size (Small - Medium - Large - Extra-Large).

Also, make sure you have Adobe Reader to open the templates. (There are PDF files.)

Thanks. Check your inbox. I dont think I will make a thread for my progress, but I'll show you if you want to see.

How did you shape your armor? I cant seem to keep mine in place. Also, I've lost my SD card so I cant seem to upload stuff.

How did you shape your armor? I cant seem to keep mine in place. Also, I've lost my SD card so I cant seem to upload stuff.

To shape the armor I fit it against my body and then taped the backside in the right angle to hold the cardboard in place, using painters tape. If you don't understand I can put a picture on to better explain. I originally thought that the fiberglass resin would hold the cardboard in place once dried, so I could fiberglass it, however with the resin dried and tape pulled off it flattened out. So what I'm going to do is tape the cardboard into shape again, and then apply a few layers of strong paper mache on it and let it dry. If that doesn't hold it's shape I'm starting over with plastic.

What material did you use in the first picture?

The first picture is of a Photoshopped helmet to match my color scheme, however if you meant the first picture of the body armor its cardboard with the printer-paper templates taped on the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I really dont understand. I messed up a thigh piece trying.

Alright. First start with your flat shaped armor piece, in my case a left thigh.
1024.jpg

Hold the armor piece against your body until you get the wanted shape.
1024.jpg

Keeping the shape, elevate the piece off of your body.
1024.jpg

Apply a piece of tape the the backside of the armor piece, so the shape remains without you holding it. You might want another person to help you with this.
1024.jpg

Apply more pieces for support and extra shape as you wish.
1024.jpg

Final product: Shaped armor.
1024.jpg

Lastly, keep the tape until you apply some sort of hardener to where the piece will remain shaped without the tape. In my case paper mache. (Not completed yet.)

I hope this helped.

Helmet Update:

I added the bottom "V" to the visor and added some cardboard supports so the fiberglassing wouldn't deform the shape of the visor. There are little dents by the T but its nothing bondo can't fix. :) Oh and I put the first coat of resin on. Tomorrow I'll probably cloth it.

1024.jpg

1024.jpg

This is me when I see your updates...
Awesomeface.jpg

Yeah. Also, I think I might go with the medium armor, then a custom heavy set. I paper mache'd my thighs and shins and they stayed in place!

Haha thanks! And awesome! I'm gonna finish this Jango Style Medium and then make either a custom heavy or medium armor set. By custom I mean the armor will be shaped differently. Also, I paper mache'd my chest pieces and collar and they stayed in shape too! But I need some more wood glue before I can continue. :(

Awesome. I can do much either cause I broke my arm a couple weeks ago. I can barely play xbox! Also, I like the V in the helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back