Cut up my AR??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLIP5IL

Jr Member
Hi i was wondering how to fiberglass the inside of the Weapon-AR. I heard that you had to cut it up to do that but i'm not sure so can someone tell me how to cut it and stuff? Do i cut it like that " | " or " ------------" ? Vertical or horizontal? What do i use to cut it accurately?
Thanks for your input.
My Ar using Robogenisis's model.
PC070014.jpg

PC070012.jpg

PC070011.jpg

133034.jpg
Lawl :lol:

Slice it, or drill a hole where the barrel will go, and pour resin into that and seal the hole up temporarily with duct tape or whatever, swish it around to cover every nook and cranny, set it under a lamp for hours. Forget fiberglassing it, it's small and has manhy angles, resin itself will harden it enough, it isnt like you'll be running around and using the gun in combat...

paint on quick setting epoxy all over the outside of the ar to make it rigid.
Once cured use masking tape for any holes left over.

Then do like frost says, Or once its cured up on the outside, slice it from top to bottom in half, spray with pam cooking spray, then pour in fiberglass resin, and spread it around, or you can use plastic resin in each half. Build it up with several coats until sufficiently thick, then pop them out of the paper molds, and fiberglass them together.

There are lots of ways you can do it.

Heres how I'd do it.

Resin the outside once lightly
let it dry
Resin the outside again lightly
Let it dry
drill a hole for the barrel
Place resin through a paper funnel and let it seep into every nook and cranny
Place the gun under a heat lamp.

I'll be making mine in sections and filling it with self-expanding foam - trimmed to fit, with a mould around to help the piece keep shape.

Or......My hotglue method would work too, it wont expand or decrease ever. Just do it section by section, then piece the AR togther, resin the outside.

I wouldn't reccomend pouring resin in through a hole, you won't cover all the surfaces, and will probably end up with a big lump o' resin in one spot if you don't rotate the AR while it sets. And even then resin has a propensity for curing in lumps when it reacts..

Carefully brush 1 coat of resin (or epoxy) over the outside surface, working in small sections at a time so you don't get runs and drips. Work in small batches, wait for the resin to cure, then apply more batches batch overlapping prievious applications until you have coated everything.

When you have the whole AR covered and rigid use a Dremel rotary tool with a reinforced cutting wheel (or a hack saw blade) to cut the AR in half lengthwise, down the middle. Apply resin to the inside the same way you did the outside, except put down a layer of fiberglass cloth after the first coat of resin, and a second coat of resin overtop of the cloth.

The you have both halves done you can add any electronics (displays/triggers/lights) you want while the AR is in two halves. When you want to assemle the two halves tape them together sparingly from the outside, and resin the two halves together, OR even better find a way to bolt or screw the two halves together so that you can access the interior whenever you need.

Right now since you still have it at the cardstock stage, you could take a box cutter and slide the back of the shoulder piece, then take sisccors and cut it from there into 2 halves...that might work too, but sean's idea lets it be resined and still maintain shape, if you cut it in half it might warp and not go back into the correct position when re attaching the halves.

@SOLIP5IL
That looks pretty darn good. It *might* be a little warped, but it's not to noticeable.
I think the "Resin outside 2+ times, then pour resin inside and rotate" idea would work good in at least the clip, especially if you rotate it the whole time.

@Anyone who had a strengthening idea
Do you guys think that the "Resin outside 2+ times, then pour resin inside and rotate" idea would work well enough for it to hold its shape for bondo? That's all I need it to do. Hold it's shape enough for it to work with bondo (or mud; rondo; bosin; etc.). I don't plan on running around with it at all. I am NOT going to cut it in half, or anything like that.
If it won't, then would one thin fiberglass coat over the outside work? (I don't want to do this).

Robogenisis said:
Do you guys think that the "Resin outside 2+ times, then pour resin inside and rotate" idea would work well enough for it to hold its shape for bondo? That's all I need it to do. Hold it's shape enough for it to work with bondo (or mud; rondo; bosin; etc.). I don't plan on running around with it at all. I am NOT going to cut it in half, or anything like that.
If it won't, then would one thin fiberglass coat over the outside work? (I don't want to do this).

Have you assembled it yet? I haven't put one together, but I plan on using MLC's method of strengthening... if you go through his thread he's got some pics in it of what he did, but basically he cut pieces of illustration board to some of the same shapes, glued them on the inside as he built it, and also put in some cross bracing.

If you have put one together (which I'm assuming you have, since you made that super model), I have no suggestions, I'm hoping to avoid strengthening after building entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robogenisis said:

It's going to be pretty brittle without fiberglass. I prefer to fiberglass things on the inside as to avoid ruining details on the outside surface.

In a pinch I think it'd work, but it's not how I would go about it.

im kinda doing something similar with a BR pep file except the way i have it laid out allows it in sections like rails is seperate from the barrel the grip is seperate etc

so being able to do it that way ill be able to fiberglass the inside then screw the sections together afterwards

seal up any holes and pour some smooth on SC roto into it, roll it round for a bit, the stuff kicks in about 4 mins, should strengthen it up nicely

I just slammed Polyfiller into my helm peak as a test. Seems to be going fine for now - is a little heavy, but that's a decent compensator for cheapness and strength.

AoBfrost said:
Slice it, or drill a hole where the barrel will go, and pour resin into that and seal the hole up temporarily with duct tape or whatever, swish it around to cover every nook and cranny, set it under a lamp for hours. Forget fiberglassing it, it's small and has manhy angles, resin itself will harden it enough, it isnt like you'll be running around and using the gun in combat...
what if you are going to use it in combat?
wepon bash

SOLIP5IL said:
Hi i was wondering how to fiberglass the inside of the Weapon-AR. I heard that you had to cut it up to do that but i'm not sure so can someone tell me how to cut it and stuff? Do i cut it like that " | " or " ------------" ? Vertical or horizontal? What do i use to cut it accurately?
Thanks for your input.

Whats the Printable version makeup for the gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back