Daft Punk helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimusaint

Member DIN
S504
well today i started my daft punk helmet. rather than make it identical to the actual helmet used by daft punk, i decided to make it look like the animated version. its more stylized, sorta anime looking. i gave it a bit bigger earpieces, and a larger visor area so i can fit the LED message strip in it and still be able to see.

220px-Daftpunkanimated.jpg

ok, i started with a baseball helmet and some chipboard (cardstock). i cut and fitted all of the front facial features and then made two styrofoam earpieces. i taped all of it to the helmet (which i sanded first so bondo would stick to it) and ended up with this:

PIC-0192.jpg

PIC-0191.jpg

PIC-0190.jpg

so far so good. once it all fit right, and looked symmetrical, i just started spreading bondo on it. anyone doing bondo, GET A CHEESE GRATER! its so much easier to tool this stuff when its semi soft, rather than killing yourself by trying to sand it once its cured. heres what i ended up with after two layers of bondo and only cheese grating:

PIC-0195.jpg

PIC-0194.jpg

and here it is, on my head (look up top for my Saints transformers suit):
PIC-0193.jpg

this was done today at work, tomorrow ill be sanding it with an orbital sander in 80 grit and then mist priming it to find the low spots. after that ill be cutting the visor area out and test fitting some motorcycle visors in it, and making the area to hold my LED message strip.

Well it this that looks great!!..and to be honest i don't like a lot of pepakura helmets! but this daft punk helmet is super certainly if you did it in one day!

falcon NL said:
Well it this that looks great!!..and to be honest i don't like a lot of pepakura helmets! but this daft punk helmet is super certainly if you did it in one day!

thanks! its not pepakura though, just a baseball helmet and some chipboard. its all straight from my brain to the helmet.

hopefully i finish this by thursday night! i have an event to attend!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love helmets that are free hand, thats an impressive piece of work.

Also, the helmet on the right looks like an EVA helmet in the picture anime u posted

optimusaint said:
falcon NL said:

thanks! its not pepakura though, just a baseball helmet and some chipboard. its all straight from my brain to the helmet.

An event?

thanks for all the compliments guys! i left the helmet at work today, and forgot to photo the progress. tomorrow morning ill post it. i cut open the visor and the mouth, and sanded it. looks like tomorow ill be spot puttying and painting, as well as installing the visor and LED message strip. i didnt want to have to do that much the day of the event

starfox64 said:
daft punk rocks

i wanta build the other 1

im making that helmet for my friend, who also dances with me whenever we go out. its going to be awesome.

adreniline said:
optimusaint said:
falcon NL said:

An event?

speaking of event! yes, tomorrow night is 80s night! about once a month i make an appearance in costume and do a dance performance on stage (the other weeks im just in regular 80s clothes and i dance on the dance floor with all the other people)

what seperates this from the others, and makes it an event, is every so often theres a theme to 80s night. this time is 80s prom, and everyone is dressing in their tackiest 80s formalwear. and although daft punk started in the early 90s, i love their choice in fashion. its usualy some cheesy formal wear, so i figured it would be a perfect excuse to actually finish an idea. only i waited till the week of the event...

starfox64 said:
the ear pieces look ... odd?

they are bigger than the actual daft punk helmet. i had to do this to make my head AND the LED equipment fit in it. otherwise i would have had to chop my ears off.

sorry for the lack of an update this morning. i left the helmet at work last night, and didnt have time to take any pictures this morning before i started working on it. no worries, its only one step skipped.

after sanding with 80 and 120 grit, as well as cutting the visor and mouth yesterday (no pictures from that), i applied a coat of spot putty to the entire thing:
PIC-0197.jpg

PIC-0198.jpg

then i sanded the spot putty with 320 grit:

PIC-0199.jpg

PIC-0200.jpg

here i primed it with 2 coats of urethane white and sanded with 400 grit:
PIC-0201.jpg

PIC-0202.jpg

then i made a visor out of a grinder's faceshield (i couldnt find anything tinted on such short notice in post Katrina New Orleans). to make the visor, i used the castoff that i cut out of the helmet as a template, and simply added 1/4" all the way around it so it would tuck up inside snugly. it fit without trimming, surprisingly. i used an LED message strip and some cardstock to fill the rest of the visor area (i left enough space to see from above the LED strip)

once all of that was fitted, i simply painted it with 3 coats of Krylon Silver paint. once it dried, i stuck the visor in, and then installed the LED strip and inner face shield piece. its not as awesome as i wanted it, but in 3 days, i think i did OK.

finished:
PIC-0203.jpg

PIC-0204.jpg

ill post pictures of it on me, in the full costume, tomorrow. ill include a bunch of night shots and video of the LED strip in action.

now i gotta get going! i have to get ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back