Dead Space 2 Advance Suit Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zambi

Hello People. I'm Zambi, and I'm going to try to build the Isaac Clarke's Advance Suit from Dead Space 2 out of foam. I've made it passed a couple of chapters in Dead Space 2 until I got a Turtle Beach, and now I can't seem to get the guts to move forward in the game. I enjoyed the game(the parts I played) and Isaac's suit is wickedly awesome. So I decided to make it.

The only costume I've made before this one is the "T" Tetris block for Halloween.(Which didn't come out so bad for being done in two days :p) I'm hoping that posting here will give me the chance to get advice and encouragement from more experience people. :D

Here's the suit!
issacsuit.jpg

I want to make my costume as game accurate as possible, however, I am using the Isaac Clarke toy because it is easier to look at for details. ( Even though it is inaccurate. :p )

I want to get it done by August, but I don't think its possible. Since there is usually a convention in October, that is my deadline if August doesn't work out.

I'll be posting my progress as I make it.

Please excuse the pictures. They might come out too big and I can't figure out how to resize them. :(

I've been working on this build for the past few weeks already, and I've manage to get most of the supplies I need. I'm still working on getting an under suit, and it's taking so long because I haven't a clue what is exactly going to be part of it. I also plan on customizing it a little bit so I also need to learn how to sew. :eek

I have made progress though!

DSCN1320.jpg

I plan on turning these boots into Isaac's boots. I want to spray paint the foot part white and the calf black. The calf armor will be removable, but the parts on the foot will be glued on. Since the boots are thicker then my legs, I need to wear leg warmers to fill up the extra space. It's going to get toasty. :p

DSCN1328.jpg

DSCN1336.jpg

These are the parts that will go on the foot, but I won't put them on until I paint the boots.

DSCN1332.jpg

DSCN1333.jpg

I've also made the hand plates as well, but they're not really accurate and I'm debating redoing them or not. :confused Those gloves are also the ones that will go with the costume. I stared at Isaac for five minutes until I realized he wears two gloves on each hand. A regular sized one and an opera length one. I can already see myself burning up in this Texa's heat. :eek

Times Burnt with a Hot Glue Gun: 3

Last edited by a moderator:
I am soo envious right now, i really want to do a DS2 build but theres no good pep files and pvc board is nonexistent here. Definetly gonna be following this build. As for those gloves, yeah they may be a teensy bit innacurate but i think the bigger problem is they are laying flat, whereas in the reference, the stick up

I am soo envious right now, i really want to do a DS2 build but theres no good pep files and pvc board is nonexistent here. Definetly gonna be following this build. As for those gloves, yeah they may be a teensy bit innacurate but i think the bigger problem is they are laying flat, whereas in the reference, the stick up
The only pep files I've seen of the advance suit was the helmet and shins, but it's not hard to make the foam templates yourself because a lot of Isaac's armor is just flat. It's not like a Spartan's build where it's blocky and needs tons of layers to get a nice look. You convinced me to redo the hand plates. This time I'll look at the picture instead of the toy. :p

Wow, may follow this. Really does seem like a build better designed for foam then pepakura. I wouldn't be able to handle all those small crevasses in a peped version of the suit.

I've never seen anyone pep a Dead Space armor. It would be a waste because of how small and thin the armor is.

Update, yes?
Please pardon the photo quality. I took these with my ipod instead of my camera.

a483ef33.jpg

I've started painting my boots, and I've made the mistake of painting the white first and not letting it dry all the way. The news print had got stuck on it. Then I started to peel the paint because I wanted to see how much would come off. :p At least the black paint came out nice.

648825b9.jpg

I've sanded down the newspaper. Now, lets try this again, and this time I used plastic.

cb14313f.jpg

So far, I've been mostly working on templates. These are the the armor bits that go on the calf armor in graph paper.

8e0a6a3b.jpg

Now in card stock since it's sturdier.

2d76702f.jpg

Here I'm testing to see if they fit with the calf template. They fit. :D

9db1217d.jpg

Just for kicks, I'm showing you my shin armor template. I've tested this one and the calf on the boots, and they fit, though it did take a couple of tries to get the right length.

There is a guy who has already made a Helm for DS2. You should be able to search for it in the 405th search engine.

I'm still working on my build, but the best advice I was given about "accuracy" over "skill" was that people who want to see this won't be looking at it close up. They want to see the whole thing....So that is usually from 5-6ft away. So don't sweat the small stuff. I'm going to keep track of your progress. Good Luck!!!

DocDailey ~
Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. Every time I had saw a small scruff on the paint, I would immediately freak out and I would have calm myself down by saying "Nobody would get that close to your boots." :p I have to check out that thread, it might help me.

Tenebrus ~

I'm saving the helm for last because I still wondering how I'm going to do it. I prefer foaming it then pepping it. I might just make a pep version and use it as a template for foam.

Sorry 'bout the quality.
I made the red and green Tetris pieces and my buddy in blue made hers and the yellow block. I'm hiding under the red piece. :p

Haha classic costumes. The | block reminds me of a creeper. Also most... actually more like all of the DS2 helms i've seen have been made out of pvc sheets or sintra.

Tenebrus~
Glad he didn't explode like one. :p As for the helm, I don't think those materials are in the budget. I already have an idea of what I'm going to do. Hope it turns out okay.

Spartanx360~
Thanks, they were fun to make and it won us first place in our school's costume contest. :D

DocDailey~
Thanks, Tetris is awesome :p. The work on the thread is really good, and it does give me a couple of ideas.

Update time!
It's been a while since I posted stuff so this is what I've gotten done so far.

DSCN1345.jpg

DSCN1347.jpg

DSCN1348.jpg

I've remade my hand plates and I'm really happy with how these turned out, and they're much better then my old ones. I still need to paint them and add the screw detail before I can attach them to the gloves.

DSCN1351.jpg

Eeeeee! Crotch plate. :$ This is was actually easy to make because it's so small. I don't see how it could protect Isaac from being stabbed in his groin.

DSCN1352.jpg

DSCN1353.jpg

DSCN1354.jpg

DSCN1355.jpg

I've finished the calf armor and I think it turned out okay. The shins don't really curl like they should, but I didn't realized it until after I glued them together. I really didn't want to redo both of them. :p I plan on using velcro to help keep the foam in the right place. The boots came out horrible. Turns out spray paint doesn't stick to rubber boots that well. I'll try repainting them and applying a clear non-cracking paint coat and hope it stays. If that doesn't work, I think I'm going to try fabric paint.

Very interested in seeing how this all comes out. From the pics of the suit you provided. Lots of small plates to make for his suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back