Death Korps of Krieg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texan2012

Ok, what I will be doing is making a Warhammer 40K Imperial Guardsman uniform for conventions later on down the road. I know that there have been a few Space Marine suits either made or are in the works, but so far nobody (as far as I have seen) started on a guard uniform.

The particular regiment I will be basing off of is the Death Korps of Kried. They look very much like the German army from the First World War with gas masks. Progress for this uniform will most likely be slow due to the cost of neccessary items and overall lack of time due to school.

If anyone has any tips or information to help me make this faster and cheaper, please let me know.

Oh, and before I forget, here is thier info: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Korps_of_Krieg

Also, anyone else making a Warhammer 40K uniform of some sort?

I'm not a fan of Imperial Guard costuming (although Commissars look cool) but your best bet is to go to an army surplus store. Sometimes they carry East German uniforms and stuff.

Well, Praise the Emperor! another fellow Guardsman! hahaha I'm a huge Guard fan as well, and I've been contemplating how to make Guard costumes for some time now. As for your request, Here's how I would go about building this.
Boots-Modern US Infantry Boots. (Army Surplus) same color too!
Coat-Look at your nearest Army Surplus store, or maybe some sort of colonial blue coat will work well. Maybe reenactment gear?
Pants-Match Coat, same source?
Pouches & Grenades-Look at your nearest Army Surplus store
Trench Shovel-Entrenchment Tool (Army Surplus)
Lasgun-I'd personally modify, repaint, and remodel a Nerf Longstrike. Maybe add a styrene Bayonet?
Head-WWI or WWII German infantry Helmet and appropriate gas mask. (Army Surplus)
Chest Breather Thingy-Cloth pouch built around box. Have black tube from gas mask entering the box.
Shoulders- Perhaps Foam or a crude pepakura file. maybe heat formed plastic?

That's just my two cents. Myself, I might go through with making a Tanith First & Only Costume. Camo Cloak, Flack Vest, Black Fatigues, and all.

@ Sith: Thanks for those few tips. The only thing though is that I want to make a flamer instead of going with a lasgun, although that is a pretty inexpensive way of creating one. Also, the other gear is pretty specific (WWI/II German army), so I may have to find other avenues to get the gear I need if the local stores do not have what I need.

@ Kommissar: Well, that is pretty nice there Kommissar. I do appreciate this use of intel and may require your help later on. Also, we don't do just Halo (although I am still adding to my marine suit) if you have looked on the boards. Also, got a pattern for a laspistol?

oh, my bad, i wasn't trying to suggest 405th is exclusively halo, just it's more halo focused,
while having a thread in obscurus crusade as well as here, means you'll get alot more feed back :)

Texan,
A fellow guardsman. Just took a quick look at your ref image if i was going to do this build myself i would start out by looking for the following items from a military surplus store or online.

1) Great Coat: You're best bet would probably be an East German border patrol coat, they are slightly more modern than the cut you are looking for but should be an inexpensive alternative to getting a german ww1 style overcoat. http://compare.ebay.com/like/230501...e951cf0&itemid=230501842626&ff4=263602_304662

2) A pair of sturdy black dress shoes or hobnail boots.

3) Get some putties...try typing ww1 putties into google you should get a bunch of results of where you can buy them from if not drop me a PM i might have some lying around my parents house i could ship to you (they keep bugging me to come and take all my crap after years of not being there anyway).

4) Helmet. Your best bet here is to buy a cheap reproduction of the German M1916 helmet and do some work on it. You will probably have to cut down the ear protectors a little and add a crest to the top. Fabricating a double eagle for the front would also be cool but you can probs pick one of those up from forgeworl and heat it to bend to the shape of the helmet. Alternatively the Dutch produced some orange german helmets for the world cup which while they were a poor representation of a real german helmet actually fit quite well with the death korps theme.

5) My favorite part. Gas masks.... this is probably the one i would use http://store.colemans.com/cart/russian-gas-mask-p-1643.html?currency=USD ...it's russian and cheap. If you can get some tubing and a decent looking bag for your chest you should be all set. Bare in mind i own one of these myself and it is very very tight in there.

alternatively they come in white : http://www.amazon.com/Soviet-Russian-WWII-Adult-Shoulder/dp/B001RJBYVM

6) Pants and webbing...once i think where you could get some matching stuff for them i'll re edit this post.

7) Finally the lasgun. I made one of these a long way back there may be a file for them on here but i'm not sure. My advice to you would be to pick a model of las u want and just go for broke building it out of whatever you feel comfortable with.

anyway i could ramble on forever about this if you want any more specific info drop me a pm.

I just got the first item I ordered for this uniform; the gas mask.

It is a Russian military model like the one pictured but black and came with the hose, filter, and carrying bag.
GAS-MASK-RUSSIAN.jpg

Next up is probably the helmet or web gear, I am not sure which. Gotta go with whatever is cheaper right now, got to keep most of the monies for Christmas shopping.

i have seen a couple of people showing off thier laspistols, and a few more with IG avatars, i'm glad someone is actualy building a uniform though!!! b.t.w i'm kinda off 40k now, but i just had a look at the elysian drop troops on forgeworld (the wh site) and they look soooo much like the marines on reach!! i want to order a few, maybe some to go in my valkrie, some vetrans with shotguns and a normal squad of troops, to add to my halo army!! (i have a valkrie for a dropship and some kasrkins for spartans)

good luck with your christmas monies!! p.s if you get the trench coat now, you will look more done then if you buy the details now, it's kinda like dressing yourself, you put your undies, t shirt and pants on before your shoes, backpack and hat, but you can do what you feel :)

I got my helmet in the mail just a few days ago. It is a plastic .090 vacume formed German M35 helmet. I know it is rather flimsy and whatnot, but that will be fixed by fiberglassing the inside and it will aslo make it fit a bit better. I also looked in my closet for stuff and found my black Naval officer trenchcota. I know it is not the right one but it will do until I can afford the proper one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back