DF4L's Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm if its bigger than 30 inches then i suggest scalling it differently like making it 20 or just to the size u want

Alright, I'm lovin' these models! They look so good, I really applaud you. What scale should be used for the Shotty? Also, if you don't mind, I'm gonna use any weapons you make in my movie, they look really good without all of the useless polygons of the game models. When do you plan on finishing the Elite? I definitely could have use for that. And what other weapons do you have in progress? I'd love to see more! (And I'd be able to use more, heh)

Thanks for making such amazing models that are actually useful!

Rocknrollcows said:
is your needler scale with a real gun or to a normal persons?

cuz its height is like taller then my helm o_O
i think its right on, maybe too small, this was my method for scaling it it know i have to be able to hold the handle, i grabbed a ruler, and my hand needs about 10 centimeters to grab the handle so, i played with the scale until it looked right, also if the handle area is 10 cm tall, than kind of use that distance as a legend on a map, to figure the overall height. here is a picture to explain a bit better.
[attachment=1120:size.jpg]
----edit
papamurf812 said:
Alright, I'm lovin' these models! They look so good, I really applaud you. What scale should be used for the Shotty? Also, if you don't mind, I'm gonna use any weapons you make in my movie, they look really good without all of the useless polygons of the game models. When do you plan on finishing the Elite? I definitely could have use for that. And what other weapons do you have in progress? I'd love to see more! (And I'd be able to use more, heh)

Thanks for making such amazing models that are actually useful!

well, flying squirl mde a really good AR im going to be using that one personally, i dont have very many other 3d files, i have seen a pistol and plasma pistol in pepakura form already, but not simplifyed.. heres whats on the list for my to do... (no particular order)

Sniper Rifle
Plasma Rifle
Rocket Luncher
then if I feel the need ill re-do the pistols

tips for scaling things.. Take what you know has to be a certain size and use that size as a legend,, heres another pic for the shotty
[attachment=1122:size_2.jpg]
also on the right side is a trick i use to make pepakura ignore lots of the needless fold lines it makes things easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
papamurf812 said:
We'll find out if it looks accurate soon because I just printed it up and I'll build tomorrow.

nice, post some pics when you're done.

danni i was wondering, you ain't gonna make the spikes on top of the needler?

flying_squirl said:
damn good work on the models dude. they clean up beautifly! cant wait to see the sniper rifle and the plasma rifle! gunna use the needeler

EDIT: bdw, you should post the pics of your progress up here. its looks kewl. also might help some of the noobs. i.e. this is how you apply bondo http://www.flickr.com/photos/14300562@N05/1512264203/ not in a giant thick layer like iceing.
hahaha i was going to, but diddnt wanna seem like an *******.

and yes im going to add the spikes, i accideltally deleted them on my cleaned model, and its not a simple select and delete the actual gun to add them back i have to join the faces that intersect, then delete the rest that is not needed. those needles go all the way through the guns model. ill do it soon, (but hey, their easy to improvise)

Yeah, I'm working on some way to make realistic looking needles. I'm looking forward to all of your upcoming models. Any chance of a BR as well? And may I suggest not making the barrels on either the rocket launcher or the sniper? You can use a wooden dowel rod for the sniper and PVC pipes on the rocket launcher as long as it was scaled correctly. Just my two cents.

papamurf812 said:
Yeah, I'm working on some way to make realistic looking needles. I'm looking forward to all of your upcoming models. Any chance of a BR as well? And may I suggest not making the barrels on either the rocket launcher or the sniper? You can use a wooden dowel rod for the sniper and PVC pipes on the rocket launcher as long as it was scaled correctly. Just my two cents.
That was the plan, as you may have noticed, the shotgun model has no barrel. and i do not have the model for the battle rifle. maybe flying squirl wants to do it from scratch?? lol

dannifood4less said:
UPDATE!
i have finished my needler simplification, and finished the pdo file for it. i think its close to the right scale ill have to build it to be sure.
needler.pdo
-also, here is the shotgun model, not opened in a pdo yet but for the time being, here it is
shotty.mqo

the helmet pictured below is my custom model, the link is in my sig
[attachment=521:Untitled_1.jpg]

also, heres my work on a human wearable elite pepakura suit :p
elite suit render
also here all updates on this build will be in this thread

here here is my flickr account, im documenting as much as i can with photos.

I would like to personally thank you for releasing the needler file. I have been trying to do my own AR for some time for my sons costume. I saw the file you released, and decided to give it a go instead of struggling with my way below average artistic ability. It was pretty hard to make for me, being a beginner.
I will have it finished tomorrow in time for my son party he is going to.

So thank again for your generous gift to the community.

Steve said:
I would like to personally thank you for releasing the needler file. I have been trying to do my own AR for some time for my sons costume. I saw the file you released, and decided to give it a go instead of struggling with my way below average artistic ability. It was pretty hard to make for me, being a beginner.

ah look at that!! nice work man, now im glad i got it done when i did it looks great.. and painted too,, how long did it take you to put together? and did you fiberglass it or just paint?
-- you gotta be the coolest dad in history.. :p

---edit
hummm, looks a bit too small to fit a big hand in there is it the same scale i set it to? or did you scale it down?

What did you use for the needles, Steve? That looks really good, especially when lit. I just started my needler build and would love to incorporate your needles and lights in mine.

Steve said:

wow, good work dude! you got it done fast for a self-professed beginner! if my dad did that for me i would be so ridiculously happy!!! (fortunately when i was young i loved knights n stuff so he made me a sword and shield, they ROCKED) your kid is very lucky!
p.s. how are you guna power the fairy lights?

well done DF4L it looks kewl!!! im guna start this and work on in while i wait for my helm to dry.

p.s. ive downloaded aim but i wont be able to use it till this evening.

also,
dannifood4less said:
That was the plan, as you may have noticed, the shotgun model has no barrel. and i do not have the model for the battle rifle. maybe flying squirl wants to do it from scratch?? lol
heh, ill think about it.

It took me about 12 hours to make the model, Then another 2 hours to spray it. then about 1 hour of fiddling for the lights.
But it was a total solid 24 hours work - i started 5pm Wednesday and finished the model by 5 am, the spraying and running around finding lights and needles was all thursday afternoon, and electronic was thursday night.

For the painting i used a black base coat, then I used a blue cheap spray from home depot, and an American ascents purple

The needles, was tricky, but in the end i found in hobby lobby 3 in a pack for $1.99 in there Christmas section some Christmas decorations with some silver design on the top and a little hook. I pulled the sliver design off and cut the little hook off. This left me with the 'needle' part plus the bottom section as you can see in the picture.

I made a little 'X" in the top of the needler and pushed the bottom crystal into the 'X' cut and used a small amount of glue to hold it in place.

As for lighting it, if you use a very bright light, it will light the crystals. I used a flashlight i found at Home depot $5 , very similar to this one, but it had 12 LED in the flashlight.
http://item.express.ebay.com/Home-Garden_T...cmdZExpressItem
Don't use just normal LED they will not light the needlers, nor will fairy light, you need something strong light an ultra bright LED flashlight.

I then took the battery compartment off the flashlight and re-wired the down to the bottom of the gun to a switch, and then installed a new battery pack in the bottom of the gun.

Hey man, lovin the models. Still working on the Needler, pep takes a long time to cut out. When could we expect the Elite? Any chance you can PM me a pre-release copy? ;)

i haven't had time much to work on the elite files any more, and haven't talked to Sikarian at all so i didn't get his my updated files to use, but the plans are going along.. slowly but surly

----edit
i have seen a few people build the needler already, but anyone try the shotty yet?? ill try hard to get some more of the weapons done soon, if there are any other weapon 3d files out there please contact me so i can attempt to simplify it?

Steve said:

Awesome job. I'm inspired to make a needler now :lol: .. I was thinking about the top parts and thought about icles for xmas trees and low and behold! It has been created.. Great JOB!! Hmm, I guess I'll be holding off in playing halo for a bit LOL Did you rescale the pep file for your needler?

preskewl said:
Awesome job. I'm inspired to make a needler now :lol: .. I was thinking about the top parts and thought about icles for xmas trees and low and behold! It has been created.. Great JOB!! Hmm, I guess I'll be holding off in playing halo for a bit LOL Did you rescale the pep file for your needler?

I left the scale for my son ( he is ten) but with the gloves on he only just held the the needler. So i would definitely make it a little bigger. I didn't take long to build either, the pep file is REALLY good.

For scale just to let you know my sons hand from thumb to little finger ( wide) is a little bigger than the long part of a playing card( sorry can't find a ruler!). My hand didn't fit in it at all and is 1 and half time the length of a playing card.

Hope this helps!

no, he did not, i have seen a few built already, and that is the scale i set it to. it seems like it can use a bump up in size, but will still work for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.