Digital Pattern Spartan Pep/Foam build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
XD Dude that Mech Forearm looks awesome, Almost like you're actually missing it! As for the chest, as long as it bigger than the 2nd one, smaller than the 1st you're good!

Dh,
Thank you very much. I see you're a few steps ahead of my on your chest build. Would you recommend using resin on the whole piece, or break it up into 2 pieces then resin.....? Not sure what my next mental plan should be. I know I'm going to have to break it up into 2 pieces, but I'm not sure if I should keep them together during the building process.

Any advice would be welcome.

Oh yes! The piece should be kept single until you decide it is strong enough to split. If you try to do it in two pieces then it will probably end up with the two not lining up very well. Resin it, Fiberglass it, even do a little bondo work maybe, BEFORE you split it, that way where you split it, will match up to the other side's work, and make extra work a little less difficult. And choose the cut spot wisely when you do split it, When I did mine the area I did it in was difficult to do and I ended up with a lil piece I didn't plan on, being on the wrong side.... Just ask when you do!

Wow.....well thanks. I'm almost done pep'n my chest to the proper size so pics to come in the next day or so.

Very neat stuff you got there. Love the camo pattern, and the detailing on the pieces (esp. the shoulders!) is amazing.

On a minor note, I also love the sword emblem!

Great work so far, I'll keep an eye on this thread!

I totally don't mind. Just don't say you didn't get inspiration from me :) if you have any questions please let me know.

on a side note, the chest is 85% done. Pics should be up in a short period of time.

The symbols were done the same way the camo was done. Tyvm for all the positive feedback.

Great looking armor, Shipmate! That digi really pops! I want to try it, but I'm just not sure if it will look that well on Mark VI armor. I may ask for some assistance once I get far enough later on.

Can't wait to see more pics!

your closer to the size you need with the second one plus it looks better. just up it 10 percent and that should be enough

Hey Doc, how did you make the side details here:
P1030392.jpg

You know, those side vents things with the stripes? Thanks

It's quite simple. You need 4 things:
-Tin foil
-Super Sculpy
-Any type of sculpting tool (I used a paint brush end for the dots on either side)
-Oven

1. Place foil into the spot where the piece currently is. Then FILL the area with super sculpy.
2. Sculp the detail you see here with ONE addition....create a groove that will end up being the border of the clay piece. See how the sculpy it's touching the edges of the helm? I just made an outline in the clay then broke it off later.
3. Carefully remove the foil with the clay in it. It may be a good idea to use 2 pieces of foil in the cavity.
4. Bake it. *keep it in the foil here* Read the instructions on the super sculpy box!!!!!!
5. After it is cool, it should be very easy to break off the outside material around the border you carved in. Sand as necessary.
6. Super glue in place. It should fit like a glove.
7. SAND and PRIME!!!

Super sculpy is only crumby because you need to bake it. Once you get over the fact you need to use an oven, it is great stuff. I sanded this piece till the entire surface was at the same level. Don't worry if your sculpting skills aren't all that great....You can always sand and paint it to look epic. Mine cracked on me.....So that became battle damage.

I hope that helps!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that actually is very useful cause of the fact that theres not a lot of help for that piece. But I was thinking.. what If I just pep a piece? Or just cut one out of plastic or foam? I think it could work.
Btw, if you didn't know your missing one of the detail pieces for the helmet. Its a seperate pep piece for whatever reason...

But yeah, it can be found here: http://www.4shared.com/file/152Sm29D/Recon_Helmet_Detail_by_Belakor.html

Here's a pic of the attachment in-game. It's a very vital detail to the helmet itself.
Ninjahelmetzw6.png

Road Kill thanks.

L337, I couldn't find that piece at the time and after I was done with it I felt that the bracket I left off wouldn'tt work with the digi pattern. Thanks for pointing it out and for posting the picture and link. I've saved it for my next go round. I hope this is a good ref for other people whom want to do recon helms. Foam would be a good way to go, but it does have a different texture and feel to it. The super sculpy looks and feels more organic to the helmet itself. You asked how I made it....If I did it in foam, you wouldn't have to ask that question. Ruminate on that and good luck on your decision on making a bad ass helm. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

UPDATE:

As an unemployed Vet I have to take the occational odd job. I have completed the chest and it fits great. Thanks everyone for the sizing help. I'll get some good pics up tomorrow, but after putting up a 21ft long deck on the back of a customer's house....my fine motor skills are a little shot.

Thanks for being patient.....I wanna see my stuff as quickly has all you do....really!!

Road Kill thanks.

L337, I couldn't find that piece at the time and after I was done with it I felt that the bracket I left off wouldn'tt work with the digi pattern. Thanks for pointing it out and for posting the picture and link. I've saved it for my next go round. I hope this is a good ref for other people whom want to do recon helms. Foam would be a good way to go, but it does have a different texture and feel to it. The super sculpy looks and feels more organic to the helmet itself. You asked how I made it....If I did it in foam, you wouldn't have to ask that question. Ruminate on that and good luck on your decision on making a bad ass helm. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Lol, that is true.. I guess I did answer my own question :p
And yes, this helmet is very "bad ass" indeed. That reminds me, what do you think of the Halo 4 Recon? I think it's okay..

So here are some pics of what I've been able to catch up on:

P1030533.jpg

582029_10151037618084894_710516700_n.jpg

600045_10151037618174894_1872480277_n.jpg

318734_10151038096964894_1582485186_n.jpg

318797_10151038097019894_1364447447_n.jpg

532434_10151038097044894_1013289112_n.jpg

P1030544.jpg

P1030545.jpg

Not bad for 2 days worth of work!! And I have all the foam cut out and sized to the neck and arm holes. I'm bondoing the clasps tomorrow and sanding the hell outta it.

I'm sure many of you noticed I am skrimping on alot of the chest detail....

1. Much of the chest deal makes no sense.

2. I'm adding this stuff to the armour when it's all done.

I made a copy!

522352_10150785384784894_1880840097_n.jpg

I like mine more:
206042_10150985603984894_1081601056_n.jpg

I'm also a Spartan Sprint finisher so I figured I'd add this to it as well:

205278_10150985605159894_1523184633_n.jpg

So that in a nutshell is why I skrimped on some of the chest detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back