Digital Pattern Spartan Pep/Foam build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDailey

Hello 405th.

I'm a huge fan of all the work this community has done over the years. I sincerely hope I do all the talented members here proud.

So in case this comes out all messed up I'm learning how to post pics here.....Please allow for a learning curve. Thanks.

I am going with a digital pattern armour. When I was in the Navy and I always liked wearing my Marine Corps digi cams, then my Army digitals when I was in Afghanistan. I hope you guys like the look.

I'll try to keep the pics to finished/near finished pieces.

The foam part of the build is going to be in the chest, legs, and boots. I've redone the robotic right forearm in foam. I'm just not sure if it's 405th worthy.

P1030448.jpg

well for posting picks /I usggest using photobucket. when you upload photos there they have a drop down menu with the ling already complete with IMG tags which automatically copys when you click on it.

Anways, for a digital pattern, sound like a good/hard idea. I would personally suggest Woodland MARPAT buyt that is just me, choose whichever one you want.

I think this look amazing! The pattern and colors go great together.:D

well for posting picks /I usggest using photobucket. when you upload photos there they have a drop down menu with the ling already complete with IMG tags which automatically copys when you click on it.

Thanks, I didn't delete the http that was already in the box. Ooops.

Here are my knee caps. One is pep'd and the other is vacuform. I think they both look pretty similar.
P1030500.jpg

P1030506.jpg

This actually looks freakin' awesome! I'm so jealous of the uniforms the Navy gets now. I was in from '97 to '03 and had to wear plain blue coveralls the entire time.

Looks great Doc!

Thanks carpthiavh99. Don't be too jealous. I was in 2002-2010. I never got the chance to wear the Navy digi. I totally need to read about how you did your lights on your rig. Did you do a tutorial? Or did you read about it somewhere else. Either way I'm glad to have a shipmate here in the 405th :)

Either way I'm glad to have a shipmate here in the 405th :)

Likewise. I do have a tutorial on my thread, but there is more than one way to put lights into armor. If you have any questions when you get to that point, I'd be more than happy to lend some advice.

great build man! I actually considered doing digital camouflage once, but never new how to do it. But you pulled it off so well, that this earned a place in the 405th for Unique-ness.

I love your armor! The digicam color is genius, and I wish I had done it when I had the chance. I would just feel weird having it now. lol. Any tips on how you made your helmet so smooth?

Thanks guys. To answer the question about the helm...It was my 1st every pep build and I was kinda making it up as I went. Hence no red in the helm. The smoothness, thanks btw, was done like this....Like a noob.
P1030372.jpg

P1030381.jpg

P1030386.jpg

P1030388.jpg

P1030392.jpg

P1030398.jpg

P1030399.jpg

P1030404.jpg

P1030417.jpg

DO NOT USE PAPER TAPE!!!! It doesn't give you very clean lines and over all the adhisive just sucks. Use this stuff: Frisket film. It's a prof low tack adhisive film that has a grid pattern on it already. Also the sheets are a bit big, but if you cut them down you can just run them through your printer and print the digi pattern right onto it. Then cut them out. Just that easy. I like making custom pieces, I think the proof is in the pudding :)

I just got my hands on the Reach recon Pep file so that one is the one I'm going to do up with the red accents.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm now working on the chest piece......

FAIL
P1030526.jpg

Does this look right? I really don't want to pep the whole thing if this looks like a teeny tiny Spartan bra.

P1030527.jpg

PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THE SIZE.
-too small!! Add 200mm. -eh too small...add 10mm -looks ok for a 2nd try -finish it! get over yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, yeah, the first one is obviously way too large. The second is a bit small. Increasing the second's size by a few cm will fix this I think. The Reach chest piece sit relatively high on the torso compared to the Mk VI chest piece. So, the chest piece in the second picture isn't far off. The side straps (for lack of a better name) should come as far down as the bottom of your rib cage on the side.

Edit: BTW, the process you used to smooth out your helmet, not a NOOB process. That's the same process I use and it looks better than a lot of bondo jobs I've seen (even better than some I've done).

I've added 2inches to the chest and it looks dead on balls accurate now. Thanks Carpathia. I'll be adding foam to the chest piece as part of the under armour parts. I hope it works.

As per the foam part of this build I redid the robotic forearm with a foam piece. This is my 1st time making something with foam.....I'm reasonably pleased.

P1030528.jpg

P1030530.jpg

P1030531.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back