Direct Halo ripoff in Samsung Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol the armor looks sweet, and the guy's facial expression is way to serious but WHAAAA?!?!?!! copyrights down the drain!

Kotaku just posted an article bout this...fave comment so far though
"yeah, what a sissy. Real spartans cry "g@yhax" and try to use the sniper at point blank range.

And fail"
heh

I would think if they had permission it would actually be halo related this is clearly just a copy i saw it on TV a minute ago and almost thought it was a halo commercial . The biggest rip off since the buzz bee plasma rifle!

I've let Bungie know about this, and attatched a link to this thread- hopefully they'll tell Microsoft and some action can be taken because it's ridiculous that Samsung can believe they'd get away with something like this...

Dont think so, he also have ODST written on the chest and on his gun. Weird place for a spartan.

Pat

This is a rip off. here are 3 reasons
1. they must have worked on the originals of the armor peices to get this armor
2. If they did give permission I have to say it didn't come out how ms or bungie expected
3. why would ms or bungie have mc's armor with some other nonhalo ships and enemies

Finally this is a downgrade to any Halo advertisment.

Here's some more reasons: If it was officially related to the Halo franchise, then 343, Microsoft, and Bungie would have their logos on the commercial somewhere. Microsoft and 343 don't put anything Halo related out there without slapping their name on it. They HAVE to. That is just how it works.

Secondly, while this armor bears a lot of resemblance to Mark VI armor, there are quite a few differences in the details, making it look like this suit was specially created as a standalone for this film, and not as an official Halo piece that was repurposed. It's not like it's impossible to build armor similar to Mjolnir armor... come on, look at us! Give a good team a week and a shop, and they could design and crank this out.

Third, I can 100% guarantee Microsoft's legal department is looking into this, or already has, and into what legal action they can take. Probably none. There are a lot of similarities, but a lot of technical differences, when you get down to it. If they do take action, it'll probably settle out of court, and we'll never hear more about it. Oh well.

i was like what the, i totally thought that this was like a commercial for a new halo movie or something but nope it was just a commercial for a phone :(

it just pisses me off because people are trying to rip off of halo. it will piss me off even more if bungie, 343 or ms cant sue or get the commercial off air because samsung is making money off an idea that isn't theirs.

I don't get this commercial.
but just thinking about it, why is this so bad? lol
isn't it a good thing that they like halo? :)

I don't get this commercial.
but just thinking about it, why is this so bad? lol
isn't it a good thing that they like halo? :)
It wouldn't be bad if they had given credit to MS or Bungie, or even 343- but the fact is taht they're a business; Halo is one of the most recognizable Sci-Fi juggernauts out there and they wanted to try and cash in on the success by having clear resemblance to the 'Chief. This wouldn't be such a big deal if they had been given permission but I'm guessing they took a Spartan costume, and slapped on a few extras, just enough to call it their own, and hoped that fans of the halo series would think that it was some deal with Bungie to promote Halo in order to sell more products.
The reason that it IS so frustrating is because this is similar (At least in my mind) to recasting and selling it to the masses of ignorant people. To prove thi, when people first saw it they thought "Halo!" whether that was followed by "Halo Ripoff!" or "Halo OMG MUST HAVE TAT PHONZERZ!!!1" doesn't matter, it's the fact that they clearly crafted this suit to resemble the Master Chief's in an attempt to cash in on someone else's success. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last, but this one is too clear to ignore and put aside...

EDIT:
And on a side note:
Untitled-2copy.jpg

when i first saw it, i thought chief looked a bit clunky (and since when does he run away from anything?). but then i thought it was one of their live action ads (which i love btw). but then i was really surprised when i said sprint.

I just saw this commercial, and I knew the 405th would notice this. The place never lets me down.

Anyway, I thought it was a live action trailer at first, then I noticed the ships they were in were... not haloish.

It wouldn't be bad if they had given credit to MS or Bungie, or even 343- but the fact is taht they're a business; Halo is one of the most recognizable Sci-Fi juggernauts out there and they wanted to try and cash in on the success by having clear resemblance to the 'Chief. This wouldn't be such a big deal if they had been given permission but I'm guessing they took a Spartan costume, and slapped on a few extras, just enough to call it their own, and hoped that fans of the halo series would think that it was some deal with Bungie to promote Halo in order to sell more products.
The reason that it IS so frustrating is because this is similar (At least in my mind) to recasting and selling it to the masses of ignorant people. To prove thi, when people first saw it they thought "Halo!" whether that was followed by "Halo Ripoff!" or "Halo OMG MUST HAVE TAT PHONZERZ!!!1" doesn't matter, it's the fact that they clearly crafted this suit to resemble the Master Chief's in an attempt to cash in on someone else's success. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last, but this one is too clear to ignore and put aside...

EDIT:
And on a side note:
Untitled-2copy.jpg

makes sense, I totally understand.
thanks for clearing that up for me : P
isn't there anything 343 or Microsoft can do?
it's quite obvious they wanted to make a clone of the masterchief.
Samsung is pretty smart for releasing it with the whole halo reach hype :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back