Dragon*con 08'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here here!

I'll queue up then...

-----
<blockquote>What I learned from D*Con this year:

1. Since it was on Baker and not Sesame Street, I guess that meant that the men I saw talking to themselves in the dumpsters have neither heard of Oscar or want to teach children their numbers. Well, 911 maybe.

2. The people with the most germs will proportionally dole out the most random, uninvited hugs. I'll remember the hand sanitizer next time. Back con peasants! Back I say!

3. The concept of streets having 'lanes' is about as popular as Pepsi there.

4. People watching with fellow 405th'ers makes for an awesome time.

5. T&A night is hilarious. The freaky deaky ones come out at night!

</blockquote>
---

:)

HAHAHAH ah the truness of it all Vex!

I observed a couple of things too :D:

1. Even the nicest people, can smell bad. Though they're so nice you don't want to tell them they smell like vinegar mixed with a wet dog.
2. Never lay hands on someone (or jab them in the ribs) if they get in the way of your pic and then expect your Cookie Monster look-a-like partner to deflate the situation.
3. Being a jerk is NOT TRENDY or cool. So if in general people don't like you, and you don't know why, you've got to adjust something in your personality
4. Haters in person are hilarious.

1. I have to do more CON stuff, and less just walking around taking pictures
2. Next year we MUST put priority in the parade/table/swag for 405th
3. Must get a suite at the hotel to avoid them giving away our room
4. PAD the armor on the pressure points. Though you may not notice them normally, wearing for 4 or 5 hours will bring it out.
5. A green chief gets far more attention than another color chief.
6. Bring multiple costumes for next year.

what i have learned this year and in previous years is this.

Always use soap and water in the morning to smell good, and please febreez yr cloths at night. hehe we all know the people i am talking about.

Bring duck tape and hot glue to repair yr armor. hey i am glad i did

always have yr camera

Oh and my personal one form this year on NEVER do security for JCB during dragon when you could be with the 405

The green MC does Pop a lot. Devin and Spase got mucho attention, even more when the marines were with us :D

Though I got a lot of love, even as a Black Spartan ;) Being a woman helped even more :D A lot of people pulled me aside for Solo pics when you guys were in the group shots :)

Desolate kept getting called a storm trooper. heh, everyone else was like marine, GTFO of the way!

seriously though, need pocket sized camera that takes good dark photos.

Oh no hahah Poor Desolate XD. I think the worst I got was "Tex, Commander Chief, Female Spartan", so I made it out ok. No Darth Vader or something else that was tarded.

That's the one thing about Halo, outside of gamers, not many people over the age of 35 knows what it is... haha darn Star Wars HUrry up and die! I keed I keed!

What I learned:

1) When I complain about hurting more than the people wearing the armor, that tells me I need to be in better shape to do this again. Be prepared to be on your feet for several hours at a time.

2) GET ROOM IN HOST HOTELS. People walking the streets at 4am are too weird and somewhat sad to see.

3) Plan to be there a day early and a day after.

4) Fly don't drive. Especially when it's a 10-12hr+ trip by car.

10 Lessons I learnedfrom Dragoncon 2008:

1. Finish your costume before you leave. Nothing sucks worse than knowing that you're missing a great time because you're stuck finishing/fixing something at your hotel.

2. Get a room in the Hyatt or Marriot at ALL costs. I lost so much time trekking back and forth to my hotel two blocks away.

3. When in doubt, whip out that camera. I came home with far fewer photos than I should have taken.

4. Get into town 1 day early, leave one day late. If you have the vacation time saved to do this, it will save you so much frustration of waiting through lines and fighting for the elevator when you're trying to leave.

5. Get the cell # of EVERYONE you plan to meet up with. Phone communtication at the 'Con is the ONLY way to really guarantee that you can find someone. Charge your phone every night too.

6. Reserve at least one day to shop and pick up flyers and literature from vendors. I didn't think until I got home that I should have gotten more information from the costume companies that were there.

7. Take the stairs! The escalators and elevators almost always have huge lines, but the stairs are always available.

8. Pack and emergency kit for your costume with Super Glue, Duct tape, Cable ties and wire cutters. Carry this with you at all times.

9. Registration is only necessary for getting into the dealer rooms and special events. If you do have to wait in line for registration, do it in the early morning.

10. Always know where the bars are. If you think you know but aren't sure, let someone else lead you there. ;)

From my previous 3 years D*Con experience (I was not able to go this year due to my sister's wedding) is ALWAYS Pre-Register for Dragon*Con.

The line/wait for pre-reg people has never been more than like 15 mins for me. And this is going on Saturday morning, when there is the huge line for at the door registration that wraps around the hyatt. The at the door line can sometimes block the entire entrance, making it hard if not impossible to get inside to the shorter pre-reg line, but if that happens, just grab a D*Con staff member and tell them you are a pre-reg ad want to get your badge and they will clear a hole for you.

Guys, because your all so amazing, Jamie has signed up and is looking to atleast be a female marine or better next year! :cool:

Its been said before but it bears repeating:

GO EARLY AND STAY LATE - I missed out on waaay too much quality time with the 405th because I had to leave on Sunday morning...

Find a way to integrate that Camelback into your armor. I had it, I planned on doing it, it just didn't get done and I was sorry. It's not that finding water was hard, it's just that you lose a hand and when you're trying to juggle your helmet, AR, and camera, that's an extra hand you don't have...

Try and get official permission to use music. After spending time integrating speakers into my armor, I was surprised that it's not allowed. Alternately record some random "Radio Chatter" to play back...

We need to coordinate early next year (actually now) and try to all get into the same hotel if possible...

0000 Fine steel wool and a Sharpie will take care of most unsightly armor scratches. Even after a bazillion layers of primer and paint and clearcoat, I still found a way to scratch down to the base...

Bring a lanyard for your badge - I attend a lot of corporate conventions and even had extra lanyards sitting around and didn't bring one. DCon doesn't supply them and I tore through the badge on the first day (especially in armor)...

for me was
bring more inventory (so i dont sell out on the 2nd day)
bring few customs so i can join in on the fun
book a hotel in one of the host hotels
get a bigger card for my camra so i dont run out of place

link4044 said:
for me was
bring more inventory (so i dont sell out on the 2nd day)
bring few customs so i can join in on the fun
book a hotel in one of the host hotels
get a bigger card for my camra so i dont run out of place

Note to self....... Help Link sell out of items.

BTW Jamie will not let those mummys prop leave her mind...... thanks LOL
Guess that will be for next year

Last edited by a moderator:
so yeah... when do we make reservations? ^^

If we made a street legal warthog could we drive it to the convention rather then walk? yeah it's a big IF, but maybe we outa make us a people carrier warthog

Didn't attend D*Con this year but I do have something to contribute from the 405th's first con this year, AdventureCon.

1. Test, re-test and test again all of your under armor fittings and strapping the day before, including test walks.

2. Don't sacrifice mobility for "the look" otherwise you'll be an awesome looking MC statue and good luck making it to the vendors when it's time for water and you have to navigate an escalator.

3. Improper padding + strapping = permanent scarring *looks at back of legs*

4. Bring extra everything. (duct tape, velcro strips, sharpie marker, glue gun, everything)

5. Bring a handler or two. You're going to need someone to help you get in and out of your suit, hold your new toys, take pictures, get you water or anything else you need.

6. Practice poses, in armor you are going to take about 200 every 30 minutes. You can't keep doing the same thing over and over again, mix it up. Mobility plays issue again here... see a repeating pattern?

7. Get plenty of sleep the night before.

8. Get all your vitamins and a healthy meal.

9. Hit the bathroom BEFORE you suit up, once your in, you might as well forget about getting out.

10. Be respectful to everyone, even if there isn't an official 405th yet, when it comes time people are going to remember us and your attitude reflects on us all.

Cheers,
Kensai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back