Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress:

Slowly, but surely.

20180120_130341.jpg

Next big steps are going to be getting the vinyl along the inner thigh and getting the waist to synch up and the cod to be placed properly. I've designated this weekend as my "breather" but I'm sure I'll end up working on it anyway.

Looking great!!! And dam those things do as some height!! See you got the square bolts figured out. Look forward to seeing more! Oh and have you come to a conclusion on your weld on #4?

Question:

To anyone... are there any decals I should paint on? I love in the Halo games that your emblem appears on your armor, or some people put their Spartan # on the chest or the helmet.

The problem is that I'm looking at my character in Reach and I can find hardly any decals. There are a few, mostly triangles. Here's what I've spotted.

Lower leg inside(marked).png Upper right (marked).png Wrist.png Upper Back middle(marked).png

That's all! I've got a 405th sticker that I am going to try to incorporate too.

Anything else you think I should paint on this thing? I like game accurate, but I also want it to pop.

For my ODST I stuck to game canon identification for the armour with last name, armour designation, UNSC crest, and medical reference patch but for the helmet I added my own colour splashes a-la Star Wars and how Clones would decorate their helmets. TurboCharizard ODST Mk. II which is on the way will be similar with multiplayer icons and my 405th DIN.

Update:

Monkey!!! Knife!!! Fight!!!

20180202_200823.jpg

Reach knife and sheath, not printed by me, has been attached with bolts and fitted with magnets to hold the knife in.

I dremeled a seat for the magnets on the knife and inside the sheath, secured with guerilla glue.
20180131_182300.jpg

20180131_182221.jpg

I've been doing lots of little mods like this and taking progress shots along the way, but I don't want to show them until the mod is complete.

For anyone following my material and time updates in my first post I apologize I won't be updating it in awhile. Only one month left so to save time I'll keep a written list and update the post after the con.

Update:

Lot's of progress on the inner thigh lining, but not finished.

I did finish the grenade (not printed by me). Used a couple hardware pins so that I could take it on and off the costume. The hole on the right is where it secures. I'll be gluing some washers on the inside and outside to help reinforce the hole.
20180204_203316.jpg 20180204_203415.jpg

Also new progress on the shotgun!
The middle glue joint has been such a pain for me. Couldn't get it strong. So I shoved a file covered in guerrilla glue inside.
20180204_103455.jpg

Then to help reinforce the edges I did a test with a PLA Weld On #4. The test was to see if the chemical can break down PLA into a slurry and then reharden after it evaporates. It did! I melted this chunk for several hours and poured it into the glue joint to help fill in the gaps.
20180204_204744.jpg 20180204_210021.jpg

I'm super impressed w/ the Get Smart "Old file in the Joint Trick" technique you employed. I can't even begin to figure out how you got it aligned properly after. Great job so far w/ everything PerniciousDuke. You should be finished in no time!!!!

Did you get yours in Hawai'i? mblackwell1002

Why a file? Because my mom told me to! And you should always listen to your mother. :) They are hardened steel. A large bolt would have worked, but due to shape this suited me better. I don't consider it a waste. Files are not "sharpen-able" , you can acid wash them to get them like new but since my shop dulls files regularly using it here saved it from the trash can. So go ahead and call the save-a-file foundation and tell them to take me off the hit list.

Did you get yours in Hawai'i? mblackwell1002

Why a file? Because my mom told me to! And you should always listen to your mother. :) They are hardened steel. A large bolt would have worked, but due to shape this suited me better. I don't consider it a waste. Files are not "sharpen-able" , you can acid wash them to get them like new but since my shop dulls files regularly using it here saved it from the trash can. So go ahead and call the save-a-file foundation and tell them to take me off the hit list.
no, I actually got my Hawaii towel from a friend who left their towel at my house after a pool party. :p

Question:

To anyone... are there any decals I should paint on? I love in the Halo games that your emblem appears on your armor, or some people put their Spartan # on the chest or the helmet.

The problem is that I'm looking at my character in Reach and I can find hardly any decals. There are a few, mostly triangles. Here's what I've spotted.

View attachment 252638 View attachment 252639 View attachment 252640 View attachment 252641

That's all! I've got a 405th sticker that I am going to try to incorporate too.

Anything else you think I should paint on this thing? I like game accurate, but I also want it to pop.
I have a full decal set for Reach Armor. I also took a few liberties with some of my decals for my Pauldrons for my Reach Armor. Reach Armor had little decals on the thigh tops, the back of the calves, The boot covers with their caution tape lines etc. as seen in this pic. UNSC emblems etc. There were manufacturer markings on the helmets in Reach also. Some of the reference books showed some of this in closeups. I took a ton of shots in game. I am gonna reach out to see if one other resource may be available. I will pm you my decal sheet as well PerniciousDuke.

Hammer left profile.jpg

I have the worst luck with this shotgun. :cry:
20180209_184013.jpg

The glue held up fine, but the integrity of the print couldn't handle being moved around in my car. Word to new cosplayers, cars are the bane of costumes! When it is getting melted from the heat, getting crushed when you close the door or simply giving it that last little nudge to fit. :devil:

The guy who printed it for me did so a year ago and I know he would have done things differently now. The problem here is the wall thickness on the ends (seams of the gun) they are so thin that they don't really have much holding them on. So the seam is still glued together, the plastic just broke off of one side. This would have been fixed with thicker seam walls and I think it needs thicker infill too. But I'll make it work.

Wish me luck as I start painting this weekend.

Thanks Asgardianhammer ! I'd love to see a close-up of the side of your forearms. It looks like you tried to make the clasps. I wasn't sure if I should make it or just paint it to look like clasps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back