Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Discussion in 'Halo Pepakura Costumes' started by PerniciousDuke, May 24, 2016.

1. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

:cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious: hummmmmmmm............

PaiganBoi and PerniciousDuke like this.
  2. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

Schankerz you got your popcorn out? I think I started a fight.

3. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

I'm out of popcorn. I do have Maltesers though.
    I'm ready.... Round one! Fight!

4. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

We're all running out of snacks apparently.

5. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

False. I have a mini nuke full of chocolates. That is all you need to know.

6. Schankerz

Schankerz

And I had a Yankee stadium popcorn bowl filled with popcorn less that an hour ago, and there’s plenty where it came from.

SNACKS FTW

7. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

I have some leftover Hannuka Gelt and a few Sufganiyot......Might be a bit stale......But, round one!!!!!

giphy-downsized (24).gif

Schankerz and PaiganBoi like this.
  8. PerniciousDuke

Woot!
    Screenshot_20180325-001904_Drive.jpg
    Came in at Rank 2!

It is what I had anticipated.
    Needed improvements include:
    More lights from in game
    Better secure cod piece
    Fill in gap under chest
    Improve undersuit

I'd also like to say to anyone worried that if my suit isn't highest tier then you have no chance..you're wrong.

As long as your suit fits you, has all the pieces and doesn't look like it is your very first craft attempt then you will most likely get deployed.

And remember ALL rankings are equal for deployment purposes. The rank tiers are meant for self improvement. If you want honest feedback on where you can improve your suit then that is where the ranking system via site staff will assist you.

Dirtdives, ZP180, SI3RRA 117 and 3 others like this.
  9. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Congrats man!! I’m sure it was a high ranking 2! Will you continue work on this suit? Or will your time be dedicated to your new endeavors?

PerniciousDuke and Schankerz like this.
  10. PerniciousDuke

I'll continue working on it, slowly. SI3RRA 117 My focus though is going to be on a secret project. I'll spill the beans soon enough. It's 405th, but non costume. :whistle:

11. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

12. PerniciousDuke

I started on my duct tape dummy and finished phase one.

20180403_165045.jpg

Here's my supplies.
    Phase one-
    Duct tape, super wide and black (used 1.5 rolls)
    Seran wrap
    Scissors
    Phase two-
    Poly Batting (10lbs)
    More ductape
    Phase three-
    3/4" PVC
    PVC joints
    PVC cutter
    PVC glue
    More ductape
    Silver Spray paint

The process took about two hours and was very uncomfortable. Ripping the duct really messed up my finger. It actually tore a dime size chunk off my roommates.

So I took every chance I could to laugh and have fun with it. Mid progress I took a progress shot. And since Dirtdives said we weren't allowed to talk about colorful miniature horses I figured I'd show you guys my next cosplay, an original character from The Matrix..
    20180403_194110.jpg

Bazinga! that's actually one full roll of that super wide gorilla tape in.

Here's the final result.
    20180403_203507.jpg
    Anyone spot the newest suit upgrade in this picture?

13. PerniciousDuke

20180404_191701.jpg

I need a few things before I can finish. Mainly aluminum foil to build up the heads hands and feet before putting the dtd on.

Dirtdives likes this.
  14. TurboCharizard

Are you making alligator-shaped wrist rockets?

Dirtdives and Schankerz like this.
  15. PerniciousDuke

Haha, what? No. It's a Reach armor ability! Now I just have to figure out which one my character would use.

16. TurboCharizard

I'm rally bad at I Spy and got distracted by the alligator in the background.

WATCH OUT FOR WRIST ROCKETS

17. PerniciousDuke

Lol. I don't even know how you spotted him! He's pretty cool, I'll post a picture of him later.

Dirtdives and Schankerz like this.
  18. PerniciousDuke

Repairs and Modifications:

Here is what is on the agenda tonight before my next appearance tomorrow.

Big modification- mark and cut away material at top of shin and elbow of forearm. These are pinch points and just plain noisy clanking together also already starting to crack due to the pressure.
    20180412_162140.jpg

After cutting I'll spot putty the edges and sand real quick. I'll probably just sharpie them black to save time and will repaint when I'm ready to repaint all the chips too.
    20180412_170304.jpg

Adjust and reglue foam neck seal on chest piece.

Attach velcro to top of cod as well as reattach the velcro on the bottom of cod.

Re apply Sugru as two of the visor holders have fallen off (poor installation on my part)

Reglue a piece on undersuit that popped off (back shell).

Pack it all up for HWC! Who knows I might be on TV. :cool:

19. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

So........ how was HWC? Didn’t see you on any of the live streams. They didn’t show much of the event center tho, just the stage and commentators. Hoping you got some pictures

20. PerniciousDuke

After Event Report:

Well, the hacks I made were not enough. I think I'm stuck using compression sleeves for the forearm pinches. For the shins I'm gonna try to cut them shorter again.

Had a great time though. It was nice talking to some Halo cosplayer vets to get some better ideas for my suit. One immediate upgrade will be a warm water diving suit. Lycra, not neoprene. It's basically the same as my zentai but more durable and wicks sweat away better.

I think an abdominal wrap will be my next task as it will be simple and really help the look of my suit. I'll just have it attached to the chest piece and velcro in the back.

Thanks peterthethinker for letting me borrow your sword for this shot.

20180415_132154.jpg

I threw some more pictures up here. SI3RRA 117

Upcoming Event: Halo World Championships in Seattle, WA

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  21. vivalablake89

vivalablake89

That is One BEAUTIFUL Suit sir! awesome job on the decals also those nuts and bolts look great for rivets. Amazing job Bro you should be very proud!

22. Schankerz

Schankerz

The event sounded like it was pretty awesome, I saw you in the videos and pictures they posted on Facebook, I got on the stream to try and see you guys but unfortunately they didn’t show the main floor too much.

Dirtdives and PerniciousDuke like this.
  23. PerniciousDuke

vivalablake89 - Thanks. I am very happy, still lots I want to do with it though. Glad to have you back! Love to see what you've been working on.

Schankerz - It was fun. I know the video as I was able to pull it from the twitch feed, I'll try to find the link. You wouldn't have been able to see us from the floor anyway. It was too dark. Only the seats were illuminated a little.

For those that follow my thread here is the full video of that interview of Dustin Allen during HWC 2018
    2018-04-14 HWC 405th Dustin Allen Interview.mp4