mounthly or bi monthly

• bi monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick quest.? What is this E-Zine about again? Ive been an artist since I was 4 years old. add me to that list. If you wanna see some work let me know!

Count me in. I can write. I was one of the best writers in my high school class of '08. I would prefer articles with reviews coming in second.

Wow Kensai, those look great! Hang on to those for use in the mag! ;)

---

On another note, I finished drafting a guideline document this morning around 10am. It's a bit lengthy but it should cover nearly every detail about the production of the official E-Zine. After all the staffers approve its content I'll be able to share it here in the thread. :)

---

If anyone else would like to post existing halo drawings/art like Kensai did, that would be great too!

im an artist not photoshop. id put a drawing on here but my scanner is acting up (more like not working at all)so yah.

UPDATE

In an effort to make this E-Zine idea both official and professional, I've drafted a preliminary document that should explain almost everything regarding the guidelines we'll have to set in place.

Some of the decisions reflected in this document are things that the staff have specifically asked for and many other decisions were based directly on info and ideas volunteered within this thread.

The document has each section color coded to help with reading. It's a bit lengthy, but please try to read through :). I will also do some explaining, in plain english, after the document.

THE OFFICIAL 405th E-ZINE

I. Publishing Frequency & Format
<blockquote>• We will begin the E-Zine as a monthly production
• There will be no set page number requirement for the magazine at this time
• The E-Zine will be provided online at the 405th website as a downloadable .PDF
• Trim Size (this is the actual size of the magazine) = 8" x 10.5"
• Trim + Bleed Size (this extends .125" beyond the trim size, on all 4 sides) = 8.25" x 10.75"
• Live Area (this is where all text and non-croppable images must sit within; it is .125" inside of the trim on all 4 sides) = 7.75" x 10.25"

</blockquote>
II. E-Zine Team Structure
<blockquote>• Site Staff (Adam, Sean, and Spase) + Moderators
<blockquote>• May pass assignments directly to the E-Zine writers
• Must give the final approval in order for the E-Zine to be published</blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote>• Graphic Design Mod (Vexona)
<blockquote>• Provides the overall graphic template for the magazine
• Assembles all the written and graphical contributions (articles, polls, spread art, photos) into the document and brings the E-Zine to the Site Staff for final approval (see III. Development Process & Time Schedule)</blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote>• Editor in Chief
<blockquote>• Ensures that writers, artists, and editors meet their deadlines (see III. Development Process & Time Schedule)
• Ensures that stories have graphics to accompany them (assigning artists to create art for certain stories, for example)
• Creates 1) a complete list of all work submitted by writers and artists, 2) their names and roles, and 3) links to download the documents and files (so that the Graphic Design Mod has easy access to them)
</blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote>• Editors
<blockquote>• Editors for the writers will check for the following:
<blockquote>• spelling and grammatical errors
• the flow/direction of the work
• citing (if applicable)
• will provide feedback/assistance to revise the work</blockquote>
• Editors for the graphic designers will check for the following:
<blockquote>• acceptable file types (.AI, .EPS, .PDF, .PSD, .TIFF)
• files are in CMYK (8 bit)
• images are at least 100dpi, 300dpi is ideal
• the artist includes the files of any non-standard fonts used within the piece
• attention to good design practices (appropriate color selections, use of effects, clean masks, etc.)</blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote>• Writers & Artists
<blockquote>• Writers:
<blockquote>• may receive a direct assignment from the Staff, a suggestion from the Editor in Chief, or can work creatively to write about whatever they think would be interesting and relevant
• will submit their works for review to the writing editors within the time schedule (see III. Development Process & Time Schedule)</blockquote>
• Artists:
<blockquote>• may receive a direct assignment from the Staff, a suggestion from the Editor in Chief, or can work creatively to draw or design whatever they think would be interesting and relevant
• will submit their works for review to the graphic editors within the time schedule (see III. Development Process & Time Schedule)</blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote>• Additional Contributors
<blockquote>• Every member is invited to share their ideas, stories, art, and photos or to offer their time for being interviewed</blockquote>

</blockquote>
III. Development Process & Time Schedule (Example)
<blockquote>• Week 1 Begin
<blockquote>• Moderators and Staff may make assignments for stories and graphics to appear in the E-Zine
• The Editor in Chief may make some additional requests for stories and graphics
• Writers and Artists can accept assignments or volunteer the type of piece they would like to create that month</blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote>• Week 2 Begin
<blockquote>• Writers and Artists have their tasks and begin their work</blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote>• Week 3 Begin

<blockquote>• Writers and Artists post their works for proofing and review by their Editors</blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote>• Week 4 Begin
<blockquote>• All written and graphic works must be ready and available for the Graphic Design Mod to download at the start of the week
• A complete list of every contributor must be provided along with their role in that month’s publication
• The Graphic Design Mod will compile all content and seek final approval from the Staff and Moderators
• Any last changes and revisions requested by the Staff will be completed
• The E-Zine will be made public on the 1st day of the following month and production will begin anew</blockquote>
</blockquote>
IV. Types of Contributions from Writers and Artists
<blockquote>• Writers are invited to create (but are not limited to) the following:
<blockquote>• News Articles
• Interviews, an in depth talk with proppers, staff/moderators, members, game industry, etc.
• Polls
• Fiction
• Reviews, an article critiquing games, books, movies, etc. related to fan-bases within the 405th
• Tutorials, Armor Making to Game Advice
• Events Coverage
• Recurring Columns (i.e. advice columns, opinion pieces, etc.)
<blockquote>
• NEW Q&A, a section where members can ask moderators or respected craftsmen questions
• NEW Bios, photographs and a brief introduction to people in the 405th community
• NEW Halo Community News, a section where updates from Bungie and HBO are highlighted and discussed
• NEW Quote of the Month
• NEW Letters from our Readers
• NEW Product Spotlight, reviews that introduce people to new products and finds that will help them with their armorsmithing and prop making

</blockquote>

</blockquote></blockquote>
<blockquote>• Artists are invited to create (but are not limited to) the following:
<blockquote>• 2d or 3d Art
• Photographs
• Graphics for Spreads
• Cartoons/Funny Pages
• Screenshots
• Tutorial Imagery</blockquote>
</blockquote>
V. Professional & Ethical Standards
<blockquote>• All contributing editors, writers, and artists will have their 405th member name and their role listed within the ‘staff’ list in the e-zine. If anyone would like their real name listed, they will need to provide that information to the Editor in Chief
• Credit must always be given for any work referenced in the E-Zine, whether written or graphic
• What can NOT be accepted:
<blockquote>• Copyrighted material used without consent
• Plagiarized work
• Documents missing required citation or credit (i.e. featuring a 3d model in a tutorial would require that you credit the artist)
• Inflammatory or objectionable material
• Late work (see III. Development Process & Time Schedule)</blockquote>
• Publications are always subject to final approval by the staff, namely Adam Grumbo. Adam, as the site/organization owner and founder, will always be the final arbiter on how the 405th is represented.</blockquote>

So, firstly, to summarize...we will start this as a monthly endeavor because of the overwhelming feedback everyone has given to the poll. If for some reason we find that the monthly schedule doesn't work, we can always alter our schedule down the road.

Second, the staff and moderators have asked that I be the one to provide the graphical template for the E-Zine. They have asked this to be done for 3 reasons.
1) We have a very strict policy about the use of the brand and logo. The staff must be *very* conservative regarding who has access to the full logo file in order to control the existence of merchandise and materials with our name on it. If the logo were accidentally leaked or shared, people could imitate us or use our name without our permission, etc.
2) It will be easier for them to approve the final design if they are able to discuss and view it in the staff section where all of them can easily discuss it rather than hassling with an already full PM box.
...and possibly because...
3) It's funny to give me more work when I'm already having a busy month :D

Third, in order to help keep the E-Zine on task, I think it will be necessary to have an Editor in Chief and 2 Content Editors (one Editor for writers, one for artists). I believe several people in this thread would be excellent candidates! Some of the other positions may vary from month to month, but I think the Editor in Chief and the 2 Content Editors should be people who want to stay committed.
<blockquote>
The Editor in Chief is an incredibly important task. They will be the liaison between the moderators and all those contributing to the E-Zine. The Editor in Chief will receive requests from Adam, Sean, and Spase for articles, can assign stories and art, will keep members on task, and (very importantly) will be in charge of organizing a list at the end of each month that has all the articles and graphics with links to download and a list of their respective authors. The list will make it possible for me to take all the hard work people have done and add it to the magazine template.
The Editor in Chief will need to have good communication skills, organization, and good knowledge of how to use the forums to create lists with links and info.

The 2 Content Editors will be in charge of either proofing the writing or the graphics for the E-Zine. Whenever a writer or an artist submits a piece of work for use in the E-Zine, the corresponding Editor will need to look it over, checking for errors and making suggestions. Editors are *very* important because they represent the quality control for the magazine. A good writing editor should be good at catching spelling and grammatical errors, the ability to provide revisions and suggestions, and help make sure that articles have good flow, relevancy, and informative/entertainment value. A good graphic editor should have an eye for the principles of design, the ability/programs to sometimes assist with the piece, and an understanding of the actual file and submission requirements.
</blockquote>

If anyone thinks that they would be a good person for any of these 3 jobs, please chime in or nominate a person that you think would do well! If several people are interested in a particular position we can always take a vote too.

Fourthly (wheeeze), since it is already the second week of this month, I would propose that we aim to have the first article published on October 1st instead of September 1st. That way we will have plenty of time to determine the Editors, get a layout done, get used to doing a little work on a schedule, and have lots of content from Dragon*con. Also, if we get people's emails or tell them about our site at Dragon*con, the E-Zine will be a great followup.

------------------------------

And finally!...
The next thing to do is I will try to answer any questions or concerns you all may have and also to get nominations/volunteers for the 3 positions mentioned above.

Thanks!

---------------------------

Update: The position for Editor of Writing has been filled by Tlither.

Update: The position for Editor in Chief has been filled by Adulese.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooo I've only just noticed this topic. Great idea. If your still wanting for artists I'd be willing to give it a bash. It would be good for me to have some motivation.
Here's a few pics that I've done (not my best, one of them I did 2yrs ago but It's all i could get whilst at work):
MCinRL1.jpg

halotshirt.jpg

idreamofachobotcopy.jpg

I love that comic! That should totally be in the mag, Red :)

---

EDIT: I've decided to move this thread to the 405th Discussion since it's oh-ficial biz :D

I'm up for the writing Content Editor for now. Unless someone is doing this professionally now then they can have it. I've done this before in the Army. If not, I'll stay as a writer - no big deal.

I'm thinking that there should be another sub topic locked and only avalable for people who work on it and the moderators and admins or something to keep the e-zine a surprise until its published. Just my 2 cents.

has anyone here really made a professional looking magizine?

i have a few templates and a bunch of stuff from old advertizeing agencys that i have worked with. the design is great and if we can actually get something going good i can draw something amazeing up for you all!

no offence kensai111 but the layout you had screenshotted reminded me of something i made 7 years ago... no actual design!

heres a good grab on what i think the mag should look like. everyone whose reading these posts should go out look at atv or dirtbike magizines. they remind me and show that we can so the same with the right direction. all we need is pictures and whatnot from the people in the community. front cover should never be a photoshop image. they degrade the quality of what could be inside.

im going to grab some random stuff of the site and make a quick 4 page pdf for everyone to see what i believe the ezine should have a look to.

Newer doesn't always mean better. A lot of mags today IMO try to cram too much into their pages and ruin the entire layout. I've mainly dealt with technical publications which are entirely different. Of course the final decision will rest with the mods (mainly Vex).

@Tlither

That sounds great. I think you may just have the job sir. Your previous experience will be very helpful I am certain!

I agree with you about that strange trend of overcrowding. I need to have a bumper sticker that instead of saying "Free Tibet" says "Free Negative Space". lol Sometimes you can 'say' a lot with a little.

@Commander Fluffy,

In the document I posted above it explains about how the main design scheme is going to be handled. If you are interested in helping with the E-Zine's many other graphics, you may want to read the document about what submissions and restrictions on files there are (I know it's lengthy, but it should answer nearly everything). If I left out something, let me know!

To rephrase what's been posted, the owners have requested that I go ahead and make the layout since I am the design mod and have made the existing brand material (that's a big part of the issue, more on that in the document too). It's going to be based largely on the printed banner elements (the hex grid with deterioration and burn thrus).

I've made designs for numerous print publications and work professionally as both a web and graphic designer. I've got a few happy ADDY awards sitting here on my desk :). Rest assured, the magazine's creative direction will come with plenty of experience and a strong love and knowledge of the 405th.

Also, I don't think Kensai's goal was to provide a polished, ready-to-print layout, but more of an example of how we could organize the content. He was burning the midnight oil as usual ;). Please be respectful of the work people post so we can keep this friendly and cooperative. People are excited and will probably be demoing a lot of work for the magazine in here soon.

@ Spartas Phalanx- I will look into options for organizing a thread for us to work in. I suspect we will want to keep it in public view, but perhaps make it somewhere as its own sticky or maybe a sub-forum. More on that in a bit ;)

Does this mean we are officially starting next month or are we going to give it a shot and make one here in August?

Well, I know I'm a bit late to finding this thread, but if any writers are still needed, I can help. I have no experience with PS, so I am pretty useless in that department. I prefer to work with words.

I like to keep things organized and on time. I'm very dedicated to the 405th, and the Halo/Gaming/Tech/Costuming/Prop universe in general, and have so much free time it's not even funny.

So! We find all the officials, us writers are given assignments, the artists are given assignments. We do our thing, we turn it into the Officials for inspection, the Editors fix the Writers work. We put it all together and we have a mag! :D

Well I'm subscribed to about 5 different magazines and I just had a few ideas we could throw around.

-Small 'Bio' page, where the staff can post a small sentence or two about what got them into Prop making and Costuming, or what they have been doing lately.

-User feedback at the end.

-'Ads' for things we like and can't wait for. (Like a Halo Wars ad)

-Section where questions can be answered by the staff

-As shown above, a comic section

Just ideas :p

so my first question is I guess, when will someone give me an idea of what to paint? I want to be on time. I ve worked with painting deadlines my whole career, i just need some direction. should I just go for it on a new piece of art or wait for an official 'art directed' idea? just wondering. are we even that far yet? Ive read all 3 pages already of this post.
with stuff like this, we should/could do editorial illustration ie; if the article is about armour construction, you can have a little cartoon chief hammering metal into the shape of a helmet or a full blown painting of chief messing with his armour or something ( i know he didnt make it himself but its just an idea peeps..)
Im also offering as a contest idea to give away a painting i do for the zine as a prize, since my stuff isnt photoshop, I have real live paper with paint on it!:) again , just a suggestion. anybody who has the answer can respond here or email me at chrisdealartist@yahoo.com
-deviant art--chrisdealpainter
-myspace.com/chrisdealpainter
all have pics of my paintings. enjoy!
---chris
ps--if someone writes an article fitting this, I would die for the chance to have a reason to paint the chief fighting iron maiden's cyborg eddie, yes im a geek thru and thru..
eddiecyborg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back