• bi monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dreadnought of Fury said:
Well I'm subscribed to about 5 different magazines and I just had a few ideas we could throw around.

-Small 'Bio' page, where the staff can post a small sentence or two about what got them into Prop making and Costuming, or what they have been doing lately.

-User feedback at the end.

-'Ads' for things we like and can't wait for. (Like a Halo Wars ad)

-Section where questions can be answered by the staff

-As shown above, a comic section

Just ideas :p

I think a bio section is a good idea. Whoever was doing it would need a list of all members so we don't repeat. Some of the info could be gotten from the profile. I'd do it similar to a normal bio but clipped some.

Feedback could be put in the following issue without a problem. Of course there will be things with the first issue that are "wrong" or not liked. A magazine can only grow through it's membership and listening to feedback on what works and what doesn't.

A Q&A section could also work quite well. Actually, that would probably require a full page unless we limit it to at most 3 questions. Not every question can be answered in one or two sentences.

'Ads' - nice idea. I'm not sure of the legality of using an official ad for Intellectual Property (IP), but it could be looked into. User created ads, like the Eureka ads on Sci-Fi (except in print form) could work IMO.

I really think we need someone dedicated to checking the BIG sites (Bungie/HBO/etc) for their headlines and updating everyone in each issue. I know for me there are times when I go to Bungie, I just skip over a lot and miss most of the new info.

Keep throwing out ideas people! Nothing is written completely in stone (yet). We have definite guidelines but they are and will change I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is how the bios went in the mag (Can't remember which, maybe Game Informer)

It had a picture of the staff member, what they do, then a small bio. They did this for ALL of the Staff on the same page, and each month they would release a little more of their life or what they were currently doing, I thought that would be nifty.

Exactly, if we don't follow what is liked and not liked the E-zine will fail :(

I was hoping for maybe a full page, we list the member, what they asked, then we get someone to answer it for them. Of course we will have to limit it depending on how challenging the questions are but I think we can work that out.

User created is a Great idea! Though if not that I'm sure Bungie or anyone else wouldn't mind us advertising for free :p

I'll check the sites and post all the Info I can, I usually keep myself informed, mostly with the latest gaming and tech news.

BTW: We are doing member names or real ones? I'll just put in my real name if its ok.

I like the Bio idea. That would work.

A quote of the week (be it someone from the forum/RvB/wherever).

As for names, we could put the forum name and then real name (up to each person) or the other way around. That would make it more personal and put a face to the "name". I have no problem with it either way.

I want to make it clear that in no way am I speaking on behalf of Adam, the mods, or the 405th in my posts in this topic. These are just my thoughts, ideas, and what I feel would work for what we are trying to do. I'm not looking for glory or a title out of this (as I'm sure most of you aren't), I just want us to be able to put out a good product (at first) and get noticed by others on the outside. Then we can worry about putting out a great e-zine that will get all kinds of attention and then maybe Bungie will ask us to help them shoot their enemies into the sun!

-Tracy

Vexona said:
Also, I don't think Kensai's goal was to provide a polished, ready-to-print layout, but more of an example of how we could organize the content. He was burning the midnight oil as usual ;). Please be respectful of the work people post so we can keep this friendly and cooperative. People are excited and will probably be demoing a lot of work for the magazine in here soon.

You'd be correct it wasn't a layout, more of a guideline of how to organize written content and how many pictures to put per page for a standard balanced layout that is tried and true.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words but nothing but flashy pictures and no content is just a photo album. Content is key, pictures just makes it visually appealing to read the content. I have my degree in Multimedia and Design.. I think I have a wild idea what I'm talking about ;)

Cheers,
Kensai

I'm sure you have a better idea of design than I do Kensai. From what I've read in this thread, all input is welcome. We just need to keep it all from getting heated and resenting each other (not that you two are). With your degree and experience Kensai, you are a valuable asset to the zine (in more ways than one). You have the education and the experience (in building armor) so throw out any and all ideas! The more ideas, the more options we have for this. Read your favorite mags and see what you really like and adapt it to our needs. Can we take a column from (name your mag) and make it work for us? Should we have a comic strip or just a single frame cartoon? As long as we don't make it personal with the comments made in this thread, there is greatness about to happen with this. It could possibly move from an e-zine to a printed publication with subscriptions and perks of membership (think Star Trek: The Official Magazine) with a certificate of membership (which could just be your 405th certificate once official), a patch, keychain, etc.

All I'm really trying to say is, keep your comments professional and don't take anything in this thread as a personal attack. Sorry if I'm jumping the gun, just seems that some comments have become a little "heated" since this started.

i apologize for that my earlyer post seemed of a angry or heated tone. although i have gotten a good bit of design done! im sure vexona and kensai would like to see what i have come up with. ill have my quick proof for everyone tommorow night to show how much i enjoy this community and oportunity!

I wasn't trying to point a finger at anyone if that's how it came across. It just seemed to me that a few comments were getting heated or taken personally and I'm trying to avoid that. We would all like to see what you have come up with! As I said, from what I've read, all ideas and input are welcome. We need input people!

umm srry 2 bother u, rly baddog cud u plz transfer me 2 artist i dont rly know hpw 2 photoshop much srry 2 hassle u again

CommanderFluffy said:
i apologize for that my earlyer post seemed of a angry or heated tone. although i have gotten a good bit of design done! im sure vexona and kensai would like to see what i have come up with. ill have my quick proof for everyone tommorow night to show how much i enjoy this community and oportunity!

De nada (Hey Spanish 1 teacher, told you I was paying attention!) I didn't take it as such and Vex cleared up the misinterpretation. My response wasn't ment as a backlash and I'm aware it looked like a website from the 90's lol. I forgot everyone hasn't taken Design Theory and isn't as interested in word to picture spacing and ratio as me. I have a sad sad life, I'm aware lol. I'd love to see your design and sorry if I came off as arrogant. There is a big difference in the way something is written and the way something comes out being said. Just keep in mind the layout is in Vex's hands so don't go overboard, save some of that energy for the zine ;).

Cheers,
Kensai

Take me out of the team. I'm not good enough in english and I'll just get more work to do for editors and such.

I'll PM informations as soon as I seen them tho.

LastSpartan - sorry you feel that way. Any and all help will be appreciated to get this thing off to a rolling start. PM me or anyone else who is signed up with any info you find. It may have already been seen but better safe than sorry. Once again, I don't speak for the 405th, Adam, or the mods, but if you want to contribute even more, I'm sure you will be more than welcome.

LastSpartan said:
Take me out of the team. I'm not good enough in english and I'll just get more work to do for editors and such.

I'll PM informations as soon as I seen them tho.

Ah LS, you should stay on the team dude! If I remember correctly, it was you who did those couple interviews a while back? They were great. No doubt Vex will be asking for similar.

I had forgot about his :p (http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3957), but Thanks! ^^

Sorry if my last post sounded bad, I was really tired. I'd be more than happy to help, but I'm an editor for an other (french) website, so time is rare for me.

I'd be more than happy to help, but writing will simply get more job to be done for everyone.

I could still write smaller articles tho. :D

Mmm lots to cover on this new day :)

I have edited baddog9000's first post in this thread to show the updates since yesterday in contributing artists/writers and editor positions. I hope you don't mind me doing so baddog! You've done a great job of keeping this organized and updated, I just woke up way too early today ><

I have also updated my own post on page 3 that has the big ol' document. I've added suggestions that have been discussed since yesterday :)

-----

@ Dreadnought of Fury

The suggestions you have made for columns are all very good possibilities! I have added them to the main document on page 3 of this thread. As tlither said, I especially think that Bio and Q&A could have an immediate place as recurring columns in the magazine. We will have to explore the particulars about Ads later. Perhaps one day, we will incorporate real ads to help fund the 405th etc. Could certainly be nice if this takes off :)

@ Chris Deal Artist

I'm glad you are excited to start painting! Within the next week or so, I believe we will have an Editor in Chief nominated. That person, along with Adam, will be the ones who will assign specific pieces to accompany articles. Of course there will also be room for creative pieces done at the artist's discretion. Say, a member did an excellent drawing of the Arbiter, but it didn't go with any of the current articles. It could be published on its own within the art section, or saved for an edition where it would most certainly apply.

But to answer your main question, I would guess that actual assignments (this is just a rough estimate) could start being handed out within 2-3 weeks.

I also really appreciate your idea for a contest! I think that could certainly attract readers and interest in the first edition of the E-Zine :)

@ Commander Fluffy

Np! I think everything is koscher :) Give me a holler, with either a pm or a post, if you have work you'd like to share.

@ Last Spartan

We could certainly use you soldier, although I do understand how being busy can tie up your time. This month I'm moving, getting married, have 2 freelance clients in addition to full time job XD so, I feel your pain hehe.
If you feel like you would be maybe a teeeeensy bit interested in even doing small works, we'd love to have ya.

@ Red Togusa

Why yes, those interviews are exactly what we'd like to have ;)

I am interested :)

And I can send information at the same time I publish them on the other website, like Halo/Bungie news etc.

Hey guys,
This is Adulese. I am a bit late on seeing this topic, but I would be more than happy to help contribute with this. I have a pretty large amount on my hands and I really want to contribute more to this community. I have had experience setting up large projects (I have worked on several game projects that had a huge team) and I am on the computer (sadly) a large portion of the time. I have great writing skills, and know what needs to be added to make the story an interesting read. I also am pretty good with graphics work. Therefore, I would like to volunteer for the Editor in Chief position. I am completely dedicated to this project and I will not let it die, even if I don't make this position. Thanks.

- Adulese

Thanks Dread but Adulese can take that job since I have the writing editor one. Baddog had talked with me about interviews and I contacted Wetokole about it. He has agreed to an interview if we want to add it to the first issue or later. I have some questions I quickly came up with if one of the writers would like them as a base.

Thanks Dread. I hope I get the position, since I really want to do something big for this community.

- Adulese

I'm wondering if I would get any credit in this.
Being the fact I bought the Idea up.
Don't want to sound to Narcissist but I feel left out *sad face*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back