Ebay Scrap Leather

Status
Not open for further replies.

xisox

Ebay sells scrap leather for pretty cheap. They are usually about the size of a half sheet of paper, and they can be cut and punched pretty easily. You'll want to get some 5-7oz kind, as it's thicker and would look better for undersuit detail.

I plan on using this for the detail on the back of the helmet(the black part) and for the peices on the stomach. I'll sew them over under-armour. The stomach peice could be achieved by sculpting something in the general pattern/texture, and making a hard mold of it. Then, saturate the leather scrap and press the hard mold into the leather until it dries. You should have a textured peice for the stomach.

I haven't actually tried any of this, but in theory, it should work. The only leather work I've done is lammelar armor, no curbolli or hardened leather, so you may have to do some extra research on getting the leather to hold it's shape.

i say leather may not be good for an undersuit due to nonbreathabality and weight. i say that the leather may be an ok helmet liner. better of with a lighter material like polypropalyne or cotton.

Damien said:
i say leather may not be good for an undersuit due to nonbreathabality and weight. i say that the leather may be an ok helmet liner. better of with a lighter material like polypropalyne or cotton.

Don't take offense to this or anything, but polypropalyne doesn't exist. However, polypropylene does exist. Though, it's not a clothing material. It's a termaplastic, means it with stands heat and cold, like the tupperware container you heat up in the microwave or store in the freezer.
Anyway, I figure what you are referring to is polyester, which is actually a nickname for polyethylene terephthalate most of the time, which sounds pretty close to the other. It's just one type of polyester.
Before I posted this, I did check to make sure 'polyproaplyne' wasn't, in fact, real, so I wouldn't sound like an idiot. Usually everyone was trying refer to polypropylene and were misspelling it. So, really you probably picked it up from somewhere else or did what a lot of people have by just spelling it incorrectly.

But, now you know, and knowing is half the battle...
gijoe.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, now you know a little more about plastics.
Yay, another thing I remembered from college.

-Magnum

PS - You are correct about the leather not being breathable, but in small patches on the suit I think it would be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back