Echo's SRS99-AM Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo 199

sniperprogress-1.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I decided to tackle the Halo Reach sniper! (Using wood and pvc/lexan)

Right now I have the wood core for the stock all cut out and filed, but I'm beginning to think my scale is too big:

(I apologize for the crappy cell phone quality; my regular camera ran out of battery)

Here I've blocked out the general layout of the sniper using some wood I had lying around:

0410011547.jpg

My left hand with it for scale (the rifle is pointing up in this picture). The magazine receiver is still uncut:

0410011955.jpg

The problem isn't that I did the scaling wrong, but that I did the scaling too well. It's EXACTLY the same length as the massive, anti-materiel sniper in the game (6'2")

This poses a slight problem for us non-spartans with our inferior, puny arms: I can barely reach where the grip is supposed to go. A quick check of the Weta model of it reveals that they scaled it down to be 5'5" long, so now I don't know what to think.

Should I keep my progress so far and go for realism? Or should I scrap everything and start over on a more portable version?

I still have to decide on that. And yes, that is our dining room table.

Yes, it does seem large.

I feel that many people tend to build their weapon props exactly to game scale, and end up with what I think is too large of a weapon. For example, if I'm not mistaken, the Magnum used in the games is actually a 117% scaled up version of a "normal" Magnum, made especially for Spartans, according the to fiction of the Halo universe.

There's nothing wrong with scaling the weapons to a more comfortable fit. I mean, we scale the armor fit ourselves, why not the weapons too?

I would personally start over and make a scaled down version.

You may be able to shave off a few inches here and there, adjusting lengths in certain areas to make it a little shorter instead of scrapping the whole thing. It seems like you have a pretty good shape started already, and personally I'd hate to waste that material. But I would say having a rifle that you can actually hold in your hands would be better than one that sits on the shelf.

Well between homework, stomach flu, and a trip to arizona, I haven't been able to get much done these past couple weeks, but now I'm back, healthy, and homework free (for the moment)!

I scaled the rifle down considerably and I'm quite happy with its new size:
0422011719.jpg

As you can see, I got most of the grip part of the stock fleshed out today using a scroll saw and some chisels (I decided to go with Trex wood/plastic composite for this piece instead of wood like I was using before. It's strong, easy to smooth, and already has a plasticy feel to it):
P1010281.jpg

Fits my hand quite nicely:
P1010285.jpg

I also bought some 3/4" Schedule 80 PVC for the barrel. It has the perfect outer diameter and those threads should make attaching it a breeze!
P1010288.jpg

Still need to detail the bottom edge of the stock, and maybe sand the two sides to make em smooth. After that its on to the main body of the gun! :)

Time for a long-overdue update!

Wow, Im definately going to be following this build! I wish I had the skills to do this!
I'm gonna do the same thing he will, and i wish what he wished too :D
Haha thanks! A lot of it is just time and patience (and tons of sandpaper :p)

I finished the detailing on the grip and got it all sanded:
P1010357.jpg

This little thingy on the barrel is now mounted:
P1010358.jpg

And I made the heat shield! I'm really pleased with the way this guy turned out! :D
(And yes that is an airsoft gun on the table *wink wink)
P1010301.jpg

My progress so far:
P1010346.jpg

P1010364.jpg

My "workshop". Notice the miter saw on the dining room table and the Kuat Shipbreaking Yards in the background. (Geddit? Ship... Breaking... It's broken... Ah, nevermind.)
P1010296.jpg

Whelp, AP Tests are (almost) out of the way and the school year is starting to wind down, so I hope I can work on this thing a lot more than I have been. I'm kinda hoping to finish both this and maybe an ODST set before Comic Con (July 14th). Anyone know if this is doable? (At a much faster rate than I have been working, of course)

My "workshop". Notice the miter saw on the dining room table and the Kuat Shipbreaking Yards in the background. (Geddit? Ship... Breaking... It's broken... Ah, nevermind.)
It's Kuat Drive Yards and the shipbreaking yards in Azod. Excellent Star Wars fail.

On topic, have you scrapped the first test? I would suggest finishing that one for mounting on a wall...or in a gun rack...

I'm kinda hoping to finish both this and maybe an ODST set before Comic Con (July 14th). Anyone know if this is doable? (At a much faster rate than I have been working, of course)

Just wanted to point out that Comic Con is July 21-24th, not the 14th.

It's Kuat Drive Yards and the shipbreaking yards in Azod. Excellent Star Wars fail.

On topic, have you scrapped the first test? I would suggest finishing that one for mounting on a wall...or in a gun rack...

Haha yes I am aware of this :p

P1010368.jpg

(I just can't pass up a good pun opportunity when I see one)

As for the giant freaking block of wood that was to be the stock, I still have it lying around. I don't have any plans for finishing it, though, cause the current one is already taking up most of my time, and I really wouldn't have any place to store it haha

Just wanted to point out that Comic Con is July 21-24th, not the 14th.

Wow you're absolutely right! :O Thank you!
(This gives me a little more time)

Thought I'd go ahead and post a quick update here for you:

---

Since my last post I've made some decent progress on the lower receiver housing :p

P1010391.jpg

I'm really glad I went with this scale and not the original one lol (I already measured it against some of my full-scale airsoft guns and it's almost perfect.)

P1010402.jpg

Now it's actually starting to look like a gun! :D

P1010371.jpg

Lying next to the rifle is the spring airsoft gun that I was going to mount inside it, but later discovered it wouldn't fit.

Oh well; I 'd probably never use it as an airsoft gun anyway (which raises the question: what the heck am I going to do with this thing? o_O)

---

More to come soon. (hopefully :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back