Economy Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Forum Founder
Member DIN
S800
A bunch of my friends in my company were just layed off today. Honestly I'm surprised I'm not one of them. People in my department dropping like flies. Cross training has been bumped up to priority 1 and they're asking everyone to use up their PTO (so WHEN people get layed off, they don't have to fork out the cash).

In either case, must jump ship before it all goes down. Frustrating and scary at the same time.

That sucks Adam... sorry to hear it.

On a cheerier note, maybe you're still being there is a good sign? Maybe you missed the cut?

Hope all goes well. Keep us posted, we'll do everything we can to help.

Sorry to here that Adam I was layed off too by a huge company nation wide. $#!T sucks man but we'll all make it.

Legally can't post anything about religion on here, but I'll keep you in my thoughts. That's tough. Keep your options open... a back-up plan. You're bright and talented (in a lot of technological areas) enough to get a lot of jobs as anyone can tell.

yah, missed this cut, as soon as I'm done training my replacement, they'll gimme the finger, no doubt.

Well, Moving to Canada the moment I leave highschool in 2 1/2 years won't be crossed out of my playbook any time soon....

Just a thought.

Its nice to know this is the future I get to grow up in.

EDIT: I hoping to move as well. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, wherever really just as long as they have SOME type of Video Game Studio :p

that sucks man. I'm sorry. I hope things work out.
now I dont want to leave college! it's a scary world out there!

that sucks Adam, hope it all goes well.

you're a talented man, goodluck with your job!

Dreadnought of Fury said:
Its nice to know this is the future I get to grow up in.

EDIT: I hoping to move as well. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, wherever really just as long as they have SOME type of Video Game Studio :p

I don't know if moving to Canada would be to much of an improvement. The US is our single biggest customer I believe that if the USA goes down they're taking a lot of other countries with them. That being said. All luck to America!! Sorry to hear lots of people getting laid off. Canada is supposedly heading towards a big recession so we'll see what happens I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
droodles said:
I don't know if moving to Canada would be to much of an improvement. The US is our single biggest customer I believe that if the USA goes down they're taking a lot of other countries with them. That being said. All luck to America!! Sorry to hear lots of people getting laid off. Canada is supposedly heading towards a big recession so we'll see what happens I guess.

Yup, once the U.S. goes down everyone else goes down. Still, I've wanted to GTFO and go to another country since the 8th Grade, maybe its just because Florida sucks. Yet if Canada isn't in a recession already then it is already 3 steps ahead of the U.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell, quit your job, and make armor for a living!

Man if any of us only had the guts to do that.. hmm...

:unsure:

It really depends on what industry you're in. Yes, people in business, banking, stuff like that are in for a rough ride. I'm in the security field, specifically preboard screening at the airport, and I'm hoping to become a cop soon. My industry will never be out of business. The entertainment industry should be fine. People always need more movies.

Just try to show your employers that you're the best they've got, and you're inexpendable. Do all you can to make them keep you around.

Yeah, if I ever get hit, I've got relatives in China, plus my parents have ownership of an apartment in China back when housing was really cheap in those cities (if we sold it now, we'd have like 1000fold profits), so I'm set to move there if need be. I'm sure I can get a job somewhere in China, making lead-painted toys for the little kids... lol jk

Training your own replacement... damn...
Move to Australia :D out IT industry has a massive shortage of jobs.
Well i think we all hope that you keep your job, but sadly with the way the economy is going, its going to affect a lot of us.

Times are getting rough. Its really horrible what this country is going through. Hopefully we'll pull through it quickly...or as quickly as possible. Thoughts go out to anyone and everyone that's seeing the rougher moments.

Sorry to hear that Adam. It's not just the U.S. though. It's worldwide. I'm in the auto industry and it's taken a dump as well. You know something is wrong when one week 60 hours is fine then the next week they only want you there 40-45. This could take a year or two before things start picking up. Hang in there Adam, at least for now you are still working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back