Foam Edits to my chest armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUST

Yo wonderful people of the 405th, question time. I’ve been trying to give my chest piece more of that “Hell jumper look” by making the bottom of the chest more curved. It’s completely Eva foam, so I was thinking maybe light use from a heat gun would do the trick, but I didn’t want to mess up the armor overall. Any tips to get that curv I’m looking for?

Attachments

• 18976778-5A2B-4B6E-81AE-E90D49961BFC.jpeg
    18976778-5A2B-4B6E-81AE-E90D49961BFC.jpeg
    908.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 726C4A4B-49F5-41C9-95D6-C5486BA15C68.jpeg
    726C4A4B-49F5-41C9-95D6-C5486BA15C68.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 327
  • 128E083C-92B8-4425-AEAF-3F8B8E7DBBBA.jpeg
    128E083C-92B8-4425-AEAF-3F8B8E7DBBBA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 312
  • BD53F623-E228-43A4-8F66-DA15B7995CD5.jpeg
    BD53F623-E228-43A4-8F66-DA15B7995CD5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 298
Heat gun might work but if that part is glued together you need to go pretty slow so it doesn’t start to fall apart. Also is it glued directly to the armor bc when I put my chest piece armor on I put a spacer between it and then curved around it. that might help.

Hmm, if that’s the case I might want to avoid using a heat gun for too long if at all. It is glued directly to the armor. The spacer idea is a really good one! I was considering using contact cement to hold the bottom front edges down to the sides to give it more of a curve, but I’m afraid that the foam would snap off if I didn’t heat it right.

Hmm, if that’s the case I might want to avoid using a heat gun for too long if at all. It is glued directly to the armor. The spacer idea is a really good one! I was considering using contact cement to hold the bottom front edges down to the sides to give it more of a curve, but I’m afraid that the foam would snap off if I didn’t heat it right.
Good luck on it. Also it looks awesome btw.

Justin Ghazal much appreciated brother :). If I could just get the bottom chest piece to look a little less boxy and more armor like it would be perfect lol. Your odst looks very good as well!

Are you getting it commissioned? If so you should send me a link or something cause I’ve always been interested in getting a set of 3D printed armor :eek:

Are you getting it commissioned? If so you should send me a link or something cause I’ve always been interested in getting a set of 3D printed armor :eek:
Ya the guy I got it from was awesome to work with told him what I thought about and he made it.

Attachments

• 75F415AC-BC3C-43F2-B587-3C8CF7605A9B.jpeg
    75F415AC-BC3C-43F2-B587-3C8CF7605A9B.jpeg
    493.4 KB · Views: 294
For your foam build, one suggestion:

The bottom center is comprised of the three pieces. Cut them apart. The center piece, bevel cut the sides that attach to the other pieces, and reattach. Don't do too much of a bevel, though, or you'll have the opposite problem.

Another idea is to separate them altogether and reattach with straps. That will help all of them wrap around you when you put it all together.

The bottom center is comprised of the three pieces. Cut them apart. The center piece, bevel cut the sides that attach to the other pieces, and reattach. Don't do too much of a bevel, though, or you'll have the opposite problem.
I was thinking the same thing before I even scrolled down to see your comment. If you can cut those 3 pieces apart and either use spacers or just contact cement them to your chest core. I think you will get the look you are going for.
You can always test fit with pins though(after cutting it into 3 pieces)! I do it from the inside so the holes don't poke through on the showing side.

They are actually 3 separate parts already :). But the spacers idea sounds like a really promising one. Im thinking of lightly heat gunning the back of the 2 bottom pieces, then gently folding them so I can either contact cement or use hot glue to hold them to my core. Which do you guys suggest? Also, as for a model of heat gun, what do you both recommend?

Last edited:
They are actually 3 separate parts already :). But the spacers idea sounds like a really promising one. Im thinking of lightly heat gunning the back of the 2 bottom pieces, then gently folding them so I can either contact cement or use hot glue to hold them to my core. Which do you guys suggest? Also, as for a model of heat gun, what do you both recommend?
The heat gun I have is a cheap Black & Decker. Been using it for the past 3 yrs and it's held up quite well.
As for the ab plates, I have done what you are planning. Some heat on the side plates to give a bit of a curve and directly attached to chest base.
20180610_001220.jpg

Yeah any brand heat gun should work fine, just so long as it gets hot. I'd also recommend attaching the outer sides of those plates to the chest piece as well. That will help the look maybe as much as thre heat gun.

To clarify, the edges of the lower pieces to the base vest piece that sits next to your skin, not the upper ODST chest plate. The torso vest part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back