Emile Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Satchmo III, thanks for the follow-up and well wishing. I actually do follow your method for "scoring" before cutting the templates off the full sheet (I even go as far as waiting till that piece is needed to cut it out) but only to the part of the different colored pens......I think I will have to pick that method as well. The next set of temps......this is done already.

If the sizing is off....I'll have to pick your brain.....and I'm surprised that I'm the first......The templates have been around for a while. Unless they are having it outsourced and/or vacuum-formed. Then this becomes.......a tedious long ass process........wow, I did just say that out loud ....... Thanks Satchmo III..........Hours of my life....... never to be gotten back.........Well, lets wait for the final product before I commit ritual Cosplay suicide.
giphy.gif

So not much going on and only getting in a few pieces here and there. I have the next few ready to be cut out and assembled but here is where I'm at right now:

IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG

I had my son try it on and I think I nailed the sizing!!!!! I won't know for sure until I have more of the lower and back sections assembled. But regardless, so far so good.

Side note: I missed my window to get NYCC pre-sale tickets!!! We were having a Bar Mitzva party for my son and completely forgot about it. I know....I know ....shame on me!!! I still have Liberty Con in August and Heroes and Villains Fan Fest in September if I don't get tickets.

I think I'm missing a page or two........?!?!? I can't seem to find the corresponding numbers on any of the templates I have. Those 2 big gaping holes in the head. Got to look at my original files. Now that I finished w/ the face, things seem to be moving along much quicker......

IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG

Found them!!!!! ok not technically, but its the same thing. I reprinted them......:whistle:......Anyway, another weekend and a few more pieces in to it.

IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG

this time no puckering, no uneven levels, no pinching......just nice straight lines and joints......Test fit is looking good. Now I'm getting anxious to finish and see how its going to turn out.

TheCostumeGeek Thank you so much.....high praise coming from an inspiring builder as well. Your foam-smithing is amazing. I find that there is more chance of screwing up using foam than peping......granted the hardening steps are more prone to warping but to get fine details out of foam like when using pep....that's art. Van Gogh would be proud.

Done!!!!!!!

Ok sizing is a bit big but well within workable parameters. I don’t have any resin with me now but at least this part is done and it looks great!!!! The available room will allow for any padding, lights, fans, and or speaker system. He’s definitely going to need a neck seal as the opening is huge. Even if it were exactly to size, the opening would still be very wide. But before I move on to the next faze, I need to swing over to my portion of the young George build. I want to get his done first as I have already pushed it back once.

A70F7F5A-C197-4BA8-B229-FB82E9FFA975.jpeg
8B623681-7045-49AD-A022-4B017CD0C0B6.jpeg
960CBAB5-B508-4A47-BBF6-07BDE286ADDD.jpeg

No pics but we got the 1st coat of resin on yesterday.......so thin that is doesn't even feel like anything was brushed on and if it weren't for the shiny new coat, I would say it wasn't even resined yet. If we can get as thin coats as we just did, I think we can go w/ 4 on the outside and 2 on the inside before fiberglassing.

Hey looking good on the build. The helmet always seem to take the most time and effort on builds. My friend Roshprops has made a Emile helmet mold of his helmet and vac form visor and those are a pain.

I did indeed do this a few years back! My build is at 98% accurate EMILE build finished pics 6-4

I get into some of the detail and reference stuff in there if you’re short of images- I went through what you’re going through with the pep file- you are right, that first one you made was inaccurate! I ended up doing a lot of custom stuff to the pep I ended up using and it’s still not 100% right. I’m going to make an attempt at making some more visits this afternoon, so I may have some for sale soon.

Keep up the good work! I’ll be watching!

Hey Rosh, I just ran through you entire build......took me a few minutes to get my jaw off the floor.....I also kind of stepped on it because I was walking at the time, but that is a whole other dental issue.......I'm definitely pulling some detail and ref pics from there. Due to the nature of the visor, I'm going w/ a technique I've only seen once....but that was w/ a semi-rounded negative w/o any harsh angles or crevices. I don't have a vac table....and not going to in the future so not even sure if this can be done w/o loosing the detail I want. Regardless, if my method doesn't work......I have to purchase one.

Hey looking good on the build. The helmet always seem to take the most time and effort on builds. My friend Roshprops has made a Emile helmet mold of his helmet and vac form visor and those are a pain.

Thanks man....and as I said....if it doesn't work....I'll hit you up for a connection to your friend.

Small update: I have a few minutes to kill last night so I threw this together......

IMG_0163.JPG

Not 100% happy w/ it. As you can see, the upper sections cut isn't straight. And the things you can't see: The 2 lower pieces has the checkered backside exposed facing each other on the inside, the side cuts are cut roughly and would need serious sanding or re-cutting (was too tired to think straight and didn't have my sharpener w/ me). The only redeeming quality is the overall size. Its perfect. Now, this is the first time I'm using contact cement to attach main pieces together. Do I use hot glue on the backside or can I just leave as is? I usually use hot glue to attach pieces.

Do I use hot glue on the backside or can I just leave as is? I usually use hot glue to attach pieces.

That's kind of a personal preference type of thing. For contact cemented pieces that have visible edges I just sand them down to get as smooth of a transition as possible and call it a day. Backing the join might help if it's a high impact area or if the piece is going to be twisting and turning a lot but I'd expect the hot glue bond to fail before the contact cements. If anything adding the backer would increase how rigid the piece is which might be good.

I don't know man, you do you.

So you think I can salvage this? Sand down the edges and the sides, back seal w/ hot glue and other stuff? I mean, does it look ok? It's me and my critical eye again.

So you think I can salvage this? Sand down the edges and the sides, back seal w/ hot glue and other stuff? I mean, does it look ok? It's me and my critical eye again.

The only thing that looks slightly off to me is the left grating which isn't aligned parallel with the edges but it could also just be the camera angle making the perspective funny on a curved surface. The seams are solid and a bit of filler will have them looking perfect.

A quick adjustment on the grating and a quick pass with the rotary tool and I think you have this one good to go.

In my opinion, I think it is salvageable. In reality it looks fantastic, and after you've touched up the seam on the top, I'd call it done for now.

The critical eye early is a double- edged sword; it'll help you reach perfection, but it also prevents perfection, because you'll keep tamporing with things and messing stuff up, lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back