Props Energy Sword

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackhead09

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
I'm releasing this because its my first weapon im making so I figured I'll give the people a Smooth unfolded pep handle its 5 cm tall and i believe thats the right scale and remember this is only the handle not the blade
[attachment=3453:004.JPG][attachment=3454:005.JPG]
Energy Sword Handle
Scale: 5cm
completly smooth
build time (1-3 hours)
download from mediafire

and to those unfortunate to have a mac and suffer without you guys can thank Rob Westerfield for this request.
here is the same file just in BMP format sorry i dunno how to do JPEG
Mediafire

and if you dont have WINRAR heres the pic themselves

handle_003.jpg

handle_001.jpg

handle_002.jpg

I hope this helps other people

That's pretty good. Did you model it from scratch or did you use one of the H2 models?

its the halo 2 one and right now im busy making the file and its not too hard if you start from one end then work your way to the other end.

Could you link to a matching energy sword sword portion? Thanks!

um i guess but would you rather have just a 2d layout for cut outs on plexiglass? because from back to front is 82.8

Last edited by a moderator:
[attachment=3452:005.JPG][attachment=3451:004.JPG]

well here are some pics of the handle complete

crackhead09 said:
I'm releasing this because its my first weapon im making so I figured I'll give the people a Smooth unfolded pep handle its 5 cm tall and i believe thats the right scale and remember this is only the handle not the blade
[attachment=3453:004.JPG][attachment=3454:005.JPG]
Energy Sword Handle
Scale: 5cm
completly smooth
build time (1-3 hours)
download from mediafire

I hope this helps other people

Downloaded it, Looks great!
*opens Weapons planning to make folder, places handle in it.*

Keep it up.

-Justin

nice work, and you are better off just building the blades out of plexiglass or something similar I unfolded the blades and assembled the whole thing. It goes great all the way until you get to the top tips of the blades then it just kinda flattens out and looks bad. I'll take some pics of mine assembled and post 'em.

well what my plan was to do what sean bradley did with his. i going to make the blades two sheeted so leds fit in between and frost the glass so it glows and for the handle i just going to fiberglass the outside and have some fun with a DREMOL and mud

Thats a nice Pep Sword handle!

With some bondo and a dremel, that could be pretty fantastic.

Good luck on this project. If I can help in any way just let me know!

-Sean

well i do have a few

1. is plexiglass a good idea because i dont know where to find polycarbonate

2. what i plan on with the lights will use a pressure switch located near the palm so its only on if your holding it and would that be a good idea?

3. will a magnet destroy the wiring and stuff inside the handle?

crackhead09 said:
well i do have a few

1. is plexiglass a good idea because i dont know where to find polycarbonate

In my experience the plexiglass works just fine. I guess the advantage of the polycarbonate is that it might be stronger. But I've never had any problems with standard 'hardware strore' plexiglass or acrylic sheet.

2. what i plan on with the lights will use a pressure switch located near the palm so its only on if your holding it and would that be a good idea?

I found it much more practical to use a on/off pushbutton or slide switch placed right where your thumb rests. That way you can turn it on when you want to, not just when it's being held. I found this useful for emphasising the action of turning it on while in costume... looks and feels very cool to flick your arm out when you hit the switch:

You can't see it very well in that clip because of the distance, but you get the idea..

3. will a magnet destroy the wiring and stuff inside the handle?

Hmm. That I don't know. I imagine you're talking about a high-strength neodynium magnet, and I just don't have any experience with them.. The bigger question is, are you going to have room for a Neodynium magnet inside your handle? It's a VERY tight fit just to get the proper electronics and power supply inside there...

ESSS175.jpg

thanks sean i guess instead of a magnet maybe a piece of metal so the magnet in the thigh just gets that and i appreciate the awnsers but another question on plexiglass

will it wobble?

oh and attathing the blades to the piece as well

polycarbonate source: ~.11" thick can be had from Home Depot/ Lowe's. http://www.mcmaster.com carries a nice 1/16" thickness, and many others.

The advantage over acrylic is indeed strength. Get a small sample of each and try abusing it in various ways- the acrylic will shatter, the polycarb will either spring back into shape or deform and eventually tear under enough stress, but long after the acrylic is shattered.

neodymiums: they can be pretty small, and still have a lot of holding power. You'll want two sets of them, too, so the sword doesn't swing around when you walk. Also remember that the holding power increases the closer they are. If you can get away with having them actually touch each other, that's ideal, and a coating of something non-slip would help some with shearing forces between the two.

crackhead09 said:
thanks sean i guess instead of a magnet maybe a piece of metal so the magnet in the thigh just gets that and i appreciate the awnsers but another question on plexiglass

will it wobble?

oh and attathing the blades to the piece as well

Meh... wobbles maybe a little, depends on how you're swinging it. If you swing it blade sideways, you can tell it's plastic.. if you swing it as seen in the game, then no worries.

About the mounting: Three screws in each blade inside the handle. Look here:

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/sean_bradley_...display=ESSS125

ESSS125.jpg

Be sure to check out that HBO gallery, the pictures say a thousand words... well 88 thousand words I guess.. ;)

ooo this handle is awsome! i think im gonna make it, so i can attach it to my leg as a side weapon with magnets!

sean i have a question about what you used for the lights, is that that EL or wat ever its called wire?

*UPDATE*

there is now a WINRAR file containing BMP files of the handle as well as the BMP images on first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back