Entry-Level Costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrogy

Take a look- I've outlined some costumes which can be 'pretty' cheap.
http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Entry_Level_Costumes
feel free to edit it if I got anything wrong or you'd like to add something- I might add some pics in a bit.

Basically, it looks like there are 3-4 levels:
-crew members. jumpsuits, 405th ID, sidearm.
-unarmored marines. BDUs, boonie hats, shotguns or ARs.
-armored marines. BDUs, vacuformed armor, almost any weapons..
-ODSTs. BDUs, vacuformed body armor, molded helm, not sure on weapons.

Crew members' and unarmored marines' costumes could probably cost around 100-150$.
Armored marines, assuming a vacuformed or just cheap helm, I think maybe 150-250$.
ODSTs, depending on quality, probably ranging around or over 250-400$.

Point being, it's not ridiculously expensive to swell our ranks. I think Rob W. said it best in that interview.. "for 100$, everyone can be a marine."
And... why not? Have you seen the halo 3 marines? They're actually pretty nice.
YMMV, pound of salt, etc- but we can make this happen.

Soft Armor
Mostlysoft.png

Soft and Vac
Softandvac.png

Soft, Vac, and Molded Helms
Softvacandmold.png

Pictures do such a great job of summing up ideas.

Keegan said:
I think you could pep the ODST. NZ-TK didnt make his model for nothing...

In case the magical charter comes into existence any time soon, I don't think pep armor will be a good choice to have. Easy and cheap soft armor and helmets can be made for entry level. If people want to do pep, let them, but I don't think it is a good entry start for "official" 405th business.

Crisp, clean uniforms will be best. Marine BDU's with helmets or soft armor for command crew would be very cheap and easy to be made by almost anyone and can be done all the same. Makes the group more in control in my eyes. Can't have people with their crazy cardboard...

edit* Errr...

Deadguy said:
Rob, I think that's great, I mean the idea is essentially anything in the Halo universe. I'd be careful about any "pillar of autumn" specific insignia, and come up with official ship insignia of our own though, just to be sure it won't have to be changed later.

Also, the section personnel on Sierra were interesting. They're wearing jumpsuits with some strips of rubber padding in specific areas, and very basic shoulder gear, plus standard white gloves (Bungie glitch.. the black men have white hands.. so gloves would be in order lol).. Kinda' interesting.. I think we could set-up vendors to supply those kinds of materals for a minimal fee too.

Here's some Reference pis from my in-game screenshots It's on Myspace, so you'll have to log-in to see them. For those of you who hate Myspace, I'm sorry.. maybe someone could rehost them, or has a generic myspace account you can log-in with.

The very cool thing is.. If we had those costumes availible for sale onsite at DragonCon, we could make a hundred new members right there on convention day that could theoretically participate immediately, with "dummy" dogtags. They could get their offical dogtags later, although I know of a vendor that'll be there who could theoretically punch the tags right there at his table if they're basic enough. We'd just have to set-up a way for the costume to still require some sort of basic assembly

Also, I strongly support the concept of allowing another basic uniform to consist of:
#1- Combat Boots
#2- An agreed upon set of camflauge patterned pants
#3- OFFICIAL Club t-shirt (in grey or drab green) that looks like a military t-shirt
#4- Official Club Dog tags
#5- optional camo facepaint, (and/or bandages maybe?)
It makes you a basic bootcamp UNSC jarhead

The only thing is.. if you're wearing a military costume, you need to realistically hide your hair if it's long.. that'd be pretty far out of character otherwise, unless perhaps you're female? (how should THAT work?).

To solve this, we COULD do the whole "koi worker" thing that's been suggested. You'd kind of be like cheerleaders for the Spartans/marines rather than walking in formation with them (or perhaps surrounded by them protecting you, lol), but that could be fun, and be a nice way to still participate with just jeans, a yellow construction helmet, a big fake wrench, and an official club T-shirt that says "I owe my life to the 405th Infantry!" You could therefore have long hair as a man, and still be in a costume, AND in the club with an approved costume.

The point of the club is to accept members and grow, not push anyone away from it, or exclude anyone... If you wanna be there and be a part of it, and follow basic "be respectful" rules, I know *I* want you there, and I think everyone else does too.

What he said...

Last edited by a moderator:
TheRob said:
In case the magical charter comes into existence any time soon, I don't think pep armor will be a good choice to have. Easy and cheap soft armor and helmets can be made for entry level. If people want to do pep, let them, but I don't think it is a good entry start for "official" 405th business.
Crisp, clean uniforms will be best. Marine BDU's with helmets or soft armor for command crew would be very cheap and easy to be made by almost anyone and can be done all the same. Makes the group more in control in my eyes. Can't have people with their crazy cardboard...

edit* Errr...

Pep doesn't have to be cardboard and it doesn't have to be crappy. There are ways to make it look molded. I personally can't mold anything. I plan on using pep and few old tricks with a nice layer of mud (rondo).

Kaya has it.
Pepakura files we brought to the boards attention for use as a starting point *only*
Not as completed armour.

Go tell that to Belakor, then. Some people can do wonderful things with Pepakura, given time, and I don't think that such efforts should be looked down on Conversely, some moulded armor looks absolutely appaling, so... in the words of my teammate: 'what are they all sitting there circlejerking about moulding about?'.

I personally aim to get as much use out of my armor as possible in Pepakura format while attempting to gather the required space/time/funds for moulding a set using the Pepakura-based armor as a starting point. Until such a time as the requirements are fulfilled, my Pepakura armor will be adapted to the best of my abilities, and any person that tells me I can't participate purely through a technicality, no matter how good the armor is, will receive a booting at the first notice.

As Deadguy said: the entire point is to welcome people to the 405th, not push them away, and saying 'Pepakura can't be used in completed armor' is exactly the wrong end of that point.

Some reason we have to have vac-formed instead of molded? (I guess it might be cheaper but some of it like pep will probably need to be modified depending on how it's done)

Also didn't Kaya already make a thread on this subject?

Sigma-LS said:
Some reason we have to have vac-formed instead of molded? (I guess it might be cheaper but some of it like pep will probably need to be modified depending on how it's done)

Also didn't Kaya already make a thread on this subject?

I'll respond in kind by asking why either has to be a necessity at all, and until someone places a valid argument contrary to the usual 'pepakura doesn't take skill', 'pepakura isn't strong enough' or 'pepakura isn't detailed enough' examples, I'm going to stand by my own points.

Pepakura takes skill - moreso than moulding, in that first a model has to be assembled, which can often be difficult in itself given the complex nature of some models. Then the model has to be strengthened and smoothed - a process which could take months to perfect, especially on high-detail models and full armor suits. As for strength - I've seen resin/fibreglass helms constructed in a similar manner to the ones outlined on this forum, and I've tested their strength in some cases - if done correctly, there isn't a reason why a resin/fibreglass helm can't be of an equal or greater strength than any moulded or vacuum formed piece. Finally, a pepakura piece, if done properly, can be even more detailed than a moulded or vacuum formed piece, in that the user has almost complete control as to the outcome of the piece, from the shape down to the detail. Moulded armor runs the risk of not forming properly or unevenly, and imperfect moulds are both costly and unattractive - conversely, a misshapen pre-strengthening pepakura model costs only the price of... we'll say, thirty or fourty sheets of card, rather than upwards of thirty or fourty dollars for the plastic.

I'll admit - there are reasons I'd prefer a moulded armor suit. But for the time being, pepakura is my only viable option, as it is for seven, maybe eight tenths of this forum. Excluding their efforts for reasons I'll describe purely as elitism is a poor decision, especially with this enterprise in its infancy.

Dude, I ain't knockin' pep. It's my baby for making awesome armor. I was just asking why he was picking vac over the alternatives (especially when there are no vac suits yet).

Besides for me, molding armor just means spending an extra $200 to make resin copies of my pep stuff.

I never intended to imply that you were, Sigma, and if that appeared to be my intent, I do apologise. However, those are my reasons, and I stand by them.

Pep, as a whole has not been blanketed as some kind of "no go" proposition. I'm not sure what you're arguing about, considering that costumes are likely to be graded against the appearance of the costumes within the game.

Jedifraz was speaking correctly when he stated why Pep came to this board in the first place.. as a starting point. Whether some have missed that point or not, doesn't change the fact that THAT is why it was first brought here and developed.

There are pep suits, and then there are pep suits. Generally speaking, those that pay the extra money to do molds and suchlike, are not likely to accept mediocre results, as as such, improve their costume before considering it finished. That's not true across the board, obviously, as tastes may vary.

Pep alone, is not likely to reach the same levels as a suit that's had money (and/or other methods) poured into it, as a polygon trooper is not exactly part of the Halo universe. You can argue that it IS, because that's what the game character models are.. however, you'll note that before the model is considered completed, it is given, not only a texture map, but a bump map. It's about the equivalent of having a polygon character made out of clay, and then smoothing the final edges, and adding bumped-out details all over the place, while painting on a texture to essentially make all the poly shapes as hidden as they can be.

In other words, the pep folks are like the game modellers.. most of them are not going to have a finished product unless they go ahead and strengthen them, plus smooth them out and add relevent details, including building-up areas that need it, and putting in groove lines, etc..

In all honesty, I beleive the pep suits are the stepping stone to the perfect suit, capable of superiority over any other suit I've seen so far, but without additional steps being taken, they're very "unfinished" looking.

Yes, that creates a situation where more money and time must be expended to achieve your goals, but this has never been about making costumes for free. While pep looks like the cheaper and SOMETIMES quicker method, it's pretty much an illusion when you get down to how the finished product looks in comparison to the game itself. Unless you settle for a basic polytrooper.

Yes, you can make Spartan armor with tinfoil, but should that be part of a group that's trying to show off the "Halo Universe"? Only if the finished product doesn't LOOK like tinfoil, and looks like what a Spartan wears.. Or did I miss the bit with the spartan character that looked as though he was wearing tinfoil?

I'm sorry if that bursts bubbles or something, but it seems like common sense is being ignored in favor of a cheap solution that may not be any solution at all if it's not given the extra attention it needs.

For the record, I'm not speaking as one of the guys in a leadership position, I'm speaking as one of the guys that merely has an opinion. The Charter group hasn't gotten to this area yet, but it will, and if I'm missing something here, I'd like to be corrected, in the hopes that I can bring it to the table when the time comes. Feel free to disagree with my statements, and present your points for all of us to see and react to. By letting your opinions be known, it helps shape the charter, by hiding them, there's nothing but resentment gained... so, by all means, the floor is yours. :)

Deadguy said:
There are pep suits, and then there are pep suits.

...very much agree here...you get what you put into it...personally I do not have the patience that others have shown on this forum to construct Pep...and just cuz something is vac-formed or in a kit form does not mean it will come out nice...trust me, I have seen it all...one of the worst being someone using bondo to literally glue thier vac-formed pieces...seriously, huh???...

...by the same token, dont start throwing stones at me, I have seen numerous pep / cardboard suits being made and quite honestly if people actually think these should be accepted for membership they need to be examined...

...you dont want to turn people off to the hobby...since after all it is just that, a hobby...it is suppose to be fun...once you cross the line to become 'official' things do change...you need requirements and rules...not everyone will agree and not everyone can be involved...there will be limitations due to age and income...I can tell you that almost every suit I have built has cost me $2000+ and countless hours to assemble...just a fact...

...vrogys pricing on the Armored Marines and ODST may be a tad off...

Crew members' and unarmored marines' costumes could probably cost around 100-150$. - sounds close

Armored marines, assuming a vacuformed or just cheap helm, I think maybe 150-250$. - IMHO easily $500+
ODSTs, depending on quality, probably ranging around or over 250-400$. - IMHO easily $750-$1000+

...any quality vac-forming will cost you probably just that alone...from what I can tell there are numerous pieces and parts on both costumes...unless you are talking completely making everything from Pep and only paying for the tactical gear...

...if we are talking pep then we risk encountering very similar issues that I have seen with spartan armor...many inconsistent suits and quality ranging from outright terrible to simply awesome...

...gaining a variety of costumed members is a great way for the organization to positively grow...

Sigma-LS said:
Some reason we have to have vac-formed instead of molded?

It's cheaper and faster. It's armor that can be cranked out at low cost to get people into the group and carrying a card.

...vrogys pricing on the Armored Marines and ODST may be a tad off...

Crew members' and unarmored marines' costumes could probably cost around 100-150$. - sounds close

Armored marines, assuming a vacuformed or just cheap helm, I think maybe 150-250$. - IMHO easily $500+
ODSTs, depending on quality, probably ranging around or over 250-400$. - IMHO easily $750-$1000+

...any quality vac-forming will cost you probably just that alone
I was pretty much just thinking of vacuum-formed stuff.
What else is there for a marine, though?
-bdus 60$
-combat boots 30$
-black elbow and kneepads 25$
-10yds black nylon webbing 10$
-2 drop leg rigs 60$
-pistol belt 10$
add maybe 40$ for foam and fabrics to make the stuff you can't get off-the-shelf.. ~235$. add 150 for vacuum-formed plates, we're around 385$, not cheap, but not 500$. I think a lot of the gear can be made from cheaper material, too- that could get the price even lower..

...oh maybe gloves, a weapon prop, and or props...oh and that thing they wear called a helmet...

...sure you might be able to make something along those lines...but in all honesty you get what you pay for...if you can do it for that...I say go for it and post a tutorial for other members to follow so we can get more active costumed members...

...it is always a good thing for members to have viable alternatives...

...personally on an ODST or higher end Marine I do not see it being done for that cheap...then again maybe I am a fool that is easily parted with my money :lol:

slavefive said:
...then again maybe I am a fool that is easily parted with my money :lol:

Hurry up and get your molds done and I'll show you exactly how easy it is to get this particular fool parted from his money... :p

Last I remember, Rob was working on some relatively inexpensive vacuformed ODST armor. I'll be curious to see what kind of detail he can get out of it...

slavefive said:
...oh maybe gloves, a weapon prop, and or props...oh and that thing they wear called a helmet...

Perhaps you misunderstand.. the entire point of this thread is to organize entry-level costumes. That means low-cost outfits. Maybe if Marine and ODST costumes are too complex and expensive they shouldn't be included, but I think we should start making a list of what's ideal and pare it down to what's necessary, then look at alternative, cheaper ways of getting things made. *shrug*

DogWizard said:
Hurry up and get your molds done and I'll show you exactly how easy it is to get this particular fool parted from his money... :p

Last I remember, Rob was working on some relatively inexpensive vacuformed ODST armor. I'll be curious to see what kind of detail he can get out of it...

Yup i actually got him to start it you can check out the only pictures he has of the helmet from last year on westerfields website it looks really nice!

side

front

Ive been talking with Mr. Westerfield about price and it would be about $500,
and doing regular marine armor would be easier then ODST and possibly cheaper so you never know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back