Fans In Helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpathia

Sr Member
I've been reading through the forum, and I've heard a number of members put fans in their helmets. I've looked around and searched, but have found no one that has posted a picture of this. Does anyone have a fan in thier helmet that would be willing to post a picture or two. I'm curious as to where and how one would install a fan.

I'm still working on my first MC helm, but I do have some experience installing fans in paintball masks. Typically the fan is installed in the nose/mouth piece.

This isn't my picture, but it may give you an idea of placement.
[attachment=8925:fanMod.jpg]

The difference a fan makes is remarkable, both for reducing fog on the lens and for making breathing more comfortable.

I'd think it would be ideal to fiberglass the fan in place in the early stages, it would make swapouts a pain, but fans are generally pretty reliable.

True.. the heat would sort of take away from the cooling effect of the fan.. Not to mention probably burn your cheek.

A better spot would be at the back of the helmet or even the backpiece depending on your wiring for the rest of the suit.

For fans I'm planning on putting them in the front behind where the tubing goes and just cut slits into the tubing. There should be more then enough space.

Lotsof people put fans in their helmets, it's pretty simple to do. Just got to Radioshack and ask for a mini car fan or such, then hook it up to a switch that conects to a 9 volt battery. It's practliy the same as hooking up a LED if you know how do hook up a LED.

* Not to be mean, but you should have search a little more and harder, number of people have shown their fans.*

Thanks Showhorn, it gives me a few ideas, though that particular setup is scary. I wouldn't want a battery that close to my face.

TheSpartanMjolnir: I did use the search function, it's my second resource, right after the stickies, but even after an hour or so of searching, I found no pictures. I found a lot of people saying they installed a fan, or were planning on installine one, but no pics. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. The search function seems a little inefficient if you ask me.

(y)

i just searched fan tutorial, fan installation, fan, computer fan, and a couple others and this is the first thread i got to that either worked or was helpful

my only question is how long a 9v can run one of those fans, im close to the stage where i need to put one in my helmet and i was wondering if anyone could give me a rough running time for 1 9v battery to a 80mm or 40mm computer fan

if ya could i would deeply appreciate it

Yeah you should really put them towards you mouth and some in the back of your head
In your mouth so you wont fog up your visor and in the back so your head wont get sweaty and stink up your helmet

SnowHorn said:
True.. the heat would sort of take away from the cooling effect of the fan.. Not to mention probably burn your cheek.

A better spot would be at the back of the helmet or even the backpiece depending on your wiring for the rest of the suit.

A 9v battery doesn't get hot with use.. It can't burn your face.
But having a fan blade spinning that close to your face without a screen is kind of a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
SnowHorn said:
I'm still working on my first MC helm, but I do have some experience installing fans in paintball masks. Typically the fan is installed in the nose/mouth piece.

[...]

The difference a fan makes is remarkable, both for reducing fog on the lens and for making breathing more comfortable.

[...]

silentjackdark said:
i would not put the batterry there

SnowHorn said:

Dragonknight said:
For fans I'm planning on putting them in the front behind where the tubing goes and just cut slits into the tubing. There should be more then enough space.

Though I'm not at this particular stage with my own Mk VI helmet, I have given considerable thought to this aspect of the build when I get to that point.

Like others have said here, a few good spots to place the exhaust fans are in the nosepiece and the lower front vents. As for placement of the power supply, I agree the best place to put it would be in the curved "band" area at the back of the helmet. That's what I'll be doing.

For mine, I'm hoping to go with even more venting. Aside from the nosepiece (instead of the lower front vents -- though I will put slits in those to allow for more air flow -- I'm going to place those two in the LED housings on the sides of the helmet; there are little vent openings there), I also plan on installing one in the top vent area on the crown of the helmet.

As CPU64 suggested, I'll be placing a screen over it (to prevent my hair from getting caught in it). So, all in all, I'll have a total of four exhaust fans strategically placed throughout the helmet. I think that'll adequately eliminate the problem of the visor fogging up and overheating while wearing it :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back