FAQ: Papercraft & Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saving it as a PDF? That's all I do. Acrobat is a pretty reliable program that chats with printers no issues, and so long as I can see what I want on the screen, it seems to have no issues transferring to paper.

There is some free software out there allowing you to do this that's easy to install and use. Recommend. Cheaper than toner ;)

Hi, I am making a pepakura model and I have it scaled to the correct size, but some of the parts take up more than one page. Is there any way to cut them in half in pepakura designer? I tried using the split faces tool, but it wanted to cut it at a right angle to the way I wanted it to. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Hi, I am making a pepakura model and I have it scaled to the correct size, but some of the parts take up more than one page. Is there any way to cut them in half in pepakura designer? I tried using the split faces tool, but it wanted to cut it at a right angle to the way I wanted it to. Sorry if this has been asked before.

When I rescale a model, some of the pieces no longer fit onto a single sheet of paper; what do I do?
Pepakura Designer allows you to move the pieces in the 2D window. Click on the parts that are falling off the page and drag them back onto the page. If they are too big to fit at all, use the programs “Join/Disjoin” command to split the part into smaller, more manageable sized pieces.

There you go.

There you go.

Thanks, I tried that, but it didn't work for what I wanted. This is what happened:
Untitled.png I wanted the split at a right-angle to what it shows. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks, I tried that, but it didn't work for what I wanted. This is what happened:
I wanted the split at a right-angle to what it shows. Is there any way to fix this?

In that case...

I tried to use the “Join/Disjoin” command to cut a piece down into smaller parts, but it does not split the right way, it’s still too big; what do I do?
If you run into this problem, the best solution is to go into the “Print and Paper Settings” window under the File tab and select “Print Alignment Marks for Multiple Pages” This will print lines in the corners of the pages based on your margin settings. You can use those lines to match the piece up after you’ve printed.

The way you're trying to split them would require you to export the model, edit the 3D model, then re-import it back into Pepakura only to go through the unfolding process once again (and that's assuming the export goes smoothly and there's not a lot of clean-up work involved). Usually, the modeler will try to take into account paper size when creating the file, but things are overlooked from time to time. The above quoted method is the easiest fix for this type of problem.

ok. i got the designer and all that business. bought the keycode and got my scaling done. i tried to print it but it onl showed numbers and no lines. how can i change that?

Not sure if this is the right thread but it seems to be. A request. When adding Pep files to the archive please add another version in A4 so we Europeans can print them. I cannot convert Letter to A4 using Pepakura Viewer. It would also be nice to be able to save the files as PDF. I don't know how to do this. I don't have a printer (too expensive, and ink!!!) so I want to get my local print shop to print the files for me, but they won't install Pepakura on their PCs so a PDF version would be ideal. Again, in A4. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure if this is the right thread but it seems to be. A request. When adding Pep files to the archive please add another version in A4 so we Europeans can print them. I cannot convert Letter to A4 using Pepakura Viewer. It would also be nice to be able to save the files as PDF. I don't know how to do this. I don't have a printer (too expensive, and ink!!!) so I want to get my local print shop to print the files for me, but they won't install Pepakura on their PCs so a PDF version would be ideal. Again, in A4. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi PaperJedi! I'd like to make a couple of recommendations for you. I believe you are able to use the Pepakura Designer program without a purchase key to it's full extent with the exception of the save function. So you could change the paper settings, rearrange the pieces, save to a PDF, and take to an offsite printer (you just wouldn't be able to actually save the PDO file with your unfold revisions). That said, if you intend on pursuing this hobby for a while and making many things the 30£ purchase of a Pepakura Designer key is a wise investment (so you can easily save any unfold revisions you make). If you're just trying things out and don't want to learn how to work with Pepakura Designer you may find users that are willing to help you output specific PDF files but you're so much better off trying to learn, and then do, yourself.

Your request above is a difficult one since it tasks the model makers and unfolders with managing multiple versions of files that may or may not be needed for users. Paper size is typically letter or A4 so there's only two options but sizing issues require scaling revisions to be made by the user with the Pepakura programs anyway so it's hard to justify outputting static PDF files where these things cannot be modified.

I hope this is helpful and that you're able to get started on your project soon. If you do go the route of asking others to help you with PDF files I'd suggest posting specific information (the model, where to find the PDO, specifics about paper setup and model sizing, etc.) to help direct anyone willing to take the charge. Good luck!

is there any chance the fallout 3 models will be added to the database?

I'm not very familiar with the Fallout series but there are some Fallout PDO files in the file archive. Since this is primarily a Halo-related forum you may have better luck searching for Fallout and PDO via Google to find more content. There does appear to be a forum dedicated to that subject matter (see the link below).

http://www.thewastelandoutpost.com/forums/index.php

Hi Satchmo III. Thanks for clarifying this for me. I have found a program (cutePDF) that converts pdo to pdf. Found it on Instructables. Very useful. It's hard to find US Letter sized paper or card here but my print shop said they could cut other sized paper and card to the right size. Just more expense.

When I set the Print Settings to A4 and the pdo file is Letter sized the Viewer asks me if it should rescale. What will be the result if I say yes? What will be the result if I say no? Will the templates change size, or overlap or what? This is to print a Letter-sized template on A4. Are the templates made larger or smaller? I'm sure the Designer Program would allow me to convert Letter to A4 but the Viewer does not, so I gotta ask.

Thanks again.

Paperjedi,

You might find yourself in a jam sooner rather then later going down the route you are going, unless you happen to be 7 feet tall and the default scaling and sizing of most files fit you perfectly, the default letter format is going to be the least of your worries. As Satchmo mentioned, even getting the free downloadable version of Pepakura Designer will allow you to scale the pieces to your size and rearrange everything onto A4. Then just print to a PDF and bring the PDF files to your printer.
It would be near impossible to maintain not only files for different paper sizes but on top of that for different body builds. The letter => A4 scaling just sizes it up or down (I can never remember) but it should all be proportional.

Personally, the AUD 60 I ended up spending on Pepakura (darn the ozzie dollar did tank) was the best I've spend on my project so far. Saving my work and being able to finetune things has been great but you probably can get where you want to be with the free version.

Quick question. If I have an unfolded foam file, could I use it with cardstock instead? What's the difference from a foam unfold versus a regular unfold?

So I am looking to build a marine outfit and with this being my first build have a few questions. Can i use 9 1/2 x 11 size 110 cardstock? Would be making the CE marine chest plate as well as the shoulder guard. Lastly as a mac user I'd be going to a friends house real quick to print this out. I've read on here that there usually is resizing/adjusting needed mainly with helmets, so would i be alright just printing these files out as is? Thanks guys! Hoping to do it this weekend and will make a progress thread.

How do you convert Letter to A4 without everything changing its scale because when i changed the printer and paper setting to A4 instead of Letter it seemed to make everything slightly smaller? but i don't want the helmet any smaller? :)

How do you convert Letter to A4 without everything changing its scale because when i changed the printer and paper setting to A4 instead of Letter it seemed to make everything slightly smaller? but i don't want the helmet any smaller? :)

Changing the paper type will not change the size you have it scaled. It will look different because A4 paper doesn't fit the same amount of pieces as letter size paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back