Farris Mkvi Finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farris

's finally done! The picture doesn't show the codpiece, but I have one. Just in time for D*C, too. It's not perfect, but it's something. It's not very comfortable to walk in, but that's beside the point. Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean it up/make the legs more comfortable?

IMG_1139.jpg

very nice man, very nice. a little bit of helmet deformities but its better than what i did for my MKVI. you should continue so that you are experienced when you decide to make even better helmets, remember you never fail at armor crafting, unless you attach #1 to #17 then you epically FAIL. good luck hope it turns out great.

I don't think it's bad at all. There is the slight lean to the left and a few waves in it but nothing that can't be fixed at a later stage. As unholy said, use it for practice if nothing else. Resin and glass aren't that expensive and you will learn more from doing than from reading. Continue on and keep us posted.

tlither said:
I don't think it's bad at all. There is the slight lean to the left and a few waves in it but nothing that can't be fixed at a later stage. As unholy said, use it for practice if nothing else. Resin and glass aren't that expensive and you will learn more from doing than from reading. Continue on and keep us posted.

How would I be able to fix the lean? I know that if I press down on it in one spot it/push a spot from the inside it evens out. Should I just shove something into it/on it to weigh it down properly as I resin the outside? Will that work? I'd really like for this to end up looking right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah repairing that lean is something hard. I have the same exact problem on mine, and I can't correct it at my stage (I poured plastic there so it's rock hard)

You should keep it to practice with fiberglass and bondo. If it's your first time, you might not like it and the 2nd will be better ;)

If you can get something that hold it in place for a long time, then go ahead and resin it while weighing that spot down.( Or what ever works for it. Also you could try reinforcing that spot with Hot glue while its bent properly. When the glue cools it should hold it in the correct spot.

Thanks, I'll try that tonight after work. I knew hot glue could be used to reinforce but was not sure if it would hurt anything when I went to fiberglass the inside. If it doesn't work, I'll just figure out a way of having it held in the right position as the resin cures and pray that it will be strong enough to hold it in the right spot.

Farris said:
Thanks, I'll try that tonight after work. I knew hot glue could be used to reinforce but was not sure if it would hurt anything when I went to fiberglass the inside. If it doesn't work, I'll just figure out a way of having it held in the right position as the resin cures and pray that it will be strong enough to hold it in the right spot.

So I tried the hot glue method... it didn't really very well, but it did help some. I then made my first venture into resin. I was able to get the majority of the front end of the helmet covered before it turned to jelly. Could have had the full helmet done if my girlfriend had not called as I just got the resin mixed and then made me take 5 minutes to explain why she couldn't hear me since I was wearing my respirator. I will finish putting resin on the rest of it in the morning... assuming the helmet hasn't collapsed from over saturation. Thanks for all the help so far.

I think I made it too big. After cutting out the supports and lens so that I could get it onto my head, it looks like the height is ok (might be wrong) but the width seems a bit much. I scaled it by taking the height of my head and adding about an inch. It came out to about 30cm built height. Is this too much? Please tell me if I need to start a new one and how much I should reduce the size by. Again, sorry for the low camera phone quality.

[attachment=6463:0918081033.jpg]

[attachment=6464:my_pic.jpg]

I'm sorry for bumping this but it has been a couple of days and I would really like some input on the sizing before I start on another one. Is it actually too big or is it just my imagination? How can I tell if the helmet is too large? Should the notch under the lens be in front of my nose? Or is it based on a certain amount of clearance in a certain area?

I'm 6'2". When I measured my head, it looked like it was about 11 inches tall (I'm really bad with measuring things in a mirror), so I took that and added about an inch to make sure I had enough space. I then converted that into centimeters and put it into the pepakura scale. However, it just looks really big as far as width and isn't very stable while it's on. I don't want to end up being a spartan bobble head. :p Does it just look like this because I haven't installed the visor yet?

I'm sorry... I'm just a little OCD about stuff like this. If something isn't perfect, it'll annoy me to no end.

Farris said:
Is it actually too big or is it just my imagination? How can I tell if the helmet is too large?
It does look a bit big.

Get a straight ruler and by standing in front of a mirror, I want you to measure the distance between your ears in cm.

The space between my ears (inside of the ear) is about 15cm. From ear tip to ear tip (outside of my ears), it's about 19cm.

Farris said:
The space between my ears (inside of the ear) is about 15cm. From ear tip to ear tip (outside of my ears), it's about 19cm.
I'm assuming that you're going to wear a balaklava with the helmet. Anyway, I took the 15cm that you measured, added 2 cm for some clearance and I came up with 27.9 cm or simply 28cm (after rounding off).

Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate it. I'll restart it either tomorrow or monday at 28cm and likely use my 30.8cm one as a guinea pig for fiberglassing and whatnot.

After you have applied resin inside and outside the helmet, make sure that you trim the helmet opening, shown below in black crosshatch pattern.

644897af.jpg

Thanks. I'll be sure to do that. I was actually looking at that on my helmet that's too large and thinking that it was unnecessary since, even with that size, that part still scrapes my ears and it really doesn't provide any structural integrity to the piece. I will post pics once I get my new (and hopefully properly sized) helmet made for critique. Hopefully this one will go faster than this last one though... I may go ahead and use hot glue since elmer's glue takes for-frickin-ever to dry and I've gotten better about lining up my pieces in one shot. Unless someone has a suggestion on how to get elmer's to dry a little bit faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back