Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the visor idea. I've been toying with the idea of getting the icon props film but I always thought it looked too filmy or thin .....umm I don't know how to explain it. I like your idea it keeps the hex pattern subtle but adds depth. It's all tough to explain in words haha Either way what you've come up with works and looks awesome

Thanks. ^^

Lucky for me winter is not that cold
Nothing a plastic box and a hair dryer can't fix
The visor looks good and is the helmet as smooth as it looks

Haha, lucky for you! :D
Luckily we already have warm weather here. ^^
Thank you!

Good to see this helmet! I was wondering where it had gone to :D

Thanks! :)
Will finally do some progress on it.

Finally moved my lazy butt and started working again.
Will be working on the helmet this week, but I'm binge-watching LOST and pepping.

Shoes are the very few pieces I'm improving as in building from scratch and salvaging.
Redoing the front part - took two attempts, first one was too big, the second is perfect.
Will be redoing back piece as well to make it more accurate... bit bigger for sure.
Keeping all the small parts, they are fine, don't feel the need to redo them again.
I want both parts sitting lower and not having that front part appear 'raised'.
I'll try to add rubber to the soles to make the profile flat and then add the front/back pieces.

Wanted to remove the paint from the pieces, but unfortunately gotta get something strong.

DSC02598.JPG
DSC02599.JPG

Will be working on the helmet this week, but I'm binge-watching LOST and pepping.

Shoes are the very few pieces I'm improving as in building from scratch and salvaging.
Redoing the front part - took two attempts, first one was too big, the second is perfect.
Will be redoing back piece as well to make it more accurate... bit bigger for sure.
Keeping all the small parts, they are fine, don't feel the need to redo them again.
I'll try to add rubber to the soles to make the profile flat and then add the front/back pieces.

Wanted to remove the paint from the pieces, but unfortunately gotta get something strong.

View attachment 243482 View attachment 243483
Nice! yeah, sizing looks good...How did you fasten the shoe? My boots will be tricky, I'm sure, so I want to try and make it comfortable. Tips?

And HAHAHAhahah, I'm actually (binge, definitely binge:p) watching LOST. On season 4.

View attachment 243482 View attachment 243483
Looks great
How do you hold the pieces to your boot
Ps i binge watch off topic

Did some progress today.
Pepped the front and back pieces for shoes, I am still not 100% if the back pieces are perfect fit.
Also I started removing paint from the pieces I'm going to salvage and did the details with 2mm foam.
I already look a lot more how it looks like.

DSC02600.JPG
DSC02601.JPG

DSC02602.JPG

Nice! yeah, sizing looks good...How did you fasten the shoe? My boots will be tricky, I'm sure, so I want to try and make it comfortable. Tips?

And HAHAHAhahah, I'm actually (binge, definitely binge:p) watching LOST. On season 4.

Thanks, it's just slightly bigger, but much better fit.
Fasten the shoe? You mean how did I attach the armor pieces or what? :D Cuz there are shoelaces... Earlier I used hot glue and superglue to attach the pieces, but now I'll use contact glue.

Can you give me more details about making your shoes comfortable? It isn't much to it... Just choose some comfortable shoes... or rather just good looking shoes.
I went to chinese store and bought shoes for not even 15$ because they looked good, pretty close to what Spartan model had in-game. ^^' They are comfy tbh.

Ooo! Watching LOST too? I LOVE LOST, it's a master piece to me. Lately I finally bought it on blu-ray so I used it as an excuse to watch it again. I'm in the middle of Season 3.

Looks great
How do you hold the pieces to your boot

Ps i binge watch off topic

Thanks! Earlier I used hot glue and superglue. Now I plan on using contact glue.

Haha, it's so hard NOT to binge especially on good series. ^^

Fasten the shoe? You mean how did I attach the armor pieces or what? :D Cuz there are shoelaces... Earlier I used hot glue and superglue to attach the pieces, but now I'll use contact glue.

Can you give me more details about making your shoes comfortable? It isn't much to it... Just choose some comfortable shoes... or rather just good looking shoes.
I went to chinese store and bought shoes for not even 15$ because they looked good, pretty close to what Spartan model had in-game. ^^' They are comfy tbh.
Yeah, yeah...'tis what I meant...I was curious if you used straps or anything. I used straps.
They were as uncomfortable as...well...they were just BAD. they fell all the time, scratched up my ankles...bleh.

And how did you wear your harness- under or over your morphsuit? Is a harness a good idea? If so, how costly? How much weight can the harness hold? My 3D printed armor is going to be heavy...RN, each shin is weighing around 1.5 LBS. The total armor's weight will be something like 30 LBS. Is your suit weighing anywhere near that? I just want to be sure the suit is comfortable and...If it's not, well...I'm in for some long, miserable cons.

Nice foamie details. Looks a lot cleaner than before. (y) (foam rules!)

And...just a question...
Can I get reimbursed for the Twizzlers I've eaten while reading this thread? I mean...I've been watching this thread and devouring my stash...it's a direct consequence of super long and awesome build threads...I eat twizzlers as if they were popcorn...so.......:whistle:
lol:p

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah...'tis what I meant...I was curious if you used straps or anything. I used straps.
They were as uncomfortable as...well...they were just BAD. they fell all the time, scratched up my ankles...bleh.

And how did you wear your harness- under or over your morphsuit? Is a harness a good idea? If so, how costly? How much weight can the harness hold? My 3D printed armor is going to be heavy...RN, each shin is weighing around 1.5 LBS. The total armor's weight will be something like 30 LBS. Is your suit weighing anywhere near that? I just want to be sure the suit is comfortable and...If it's not, well...I'm in for some long, miserable cons.

And...just a question...
Can I get reimbursed for the Twizzlers I've eaten while reading this thread? I mean...I've been watching this thread and devouring my stash...it's a direct consequence of super long and awesome build threads...I eat twizzlers as if they were popcorn...so.......:whistle:
Same problem man..... I'm all out of tim tams

And...just a question...

That's why I never considered straps. You could always just strap them around your shoe for better comfort... But myself, I wanted to be able to walk or do stuff without restrictions - I could jump or run in those shoes. I've seen other European guy using straps, and well, the parts were rather hanging on the shoes, something I wouldn't want. I would rather have the parts permanent. But it's just me.
If your shoes are lighter, you can do a tighter strap around the shoes with elastic bands.
And if your shoes will be 3d printed... or actually doesn't matter, always put some rubber on the underside to prevent damage.
Currently I have no idea how people manage with EVA foam - I have put a layer of EVA foam under my armor parts on shoes and that foam was eaten so fast... I don't want to think about people doing whole shoes out of foam...

Your armor will be at least 50% lighter than mine. ^^" My shin alone weights around 1,5kg (around 3lbs) each.
I used CONDOR harness and then bought straps and buckles and did it. No problem with that.
My armor weights around 30lbs and I AM SURE yours will be much lighter.
And believe me, it will never be 100% comfortable. ;) It can be only more or less comfortable. :D
It's armor after all, haha.

Hah, thanks. ;) Will never make full suit out of foam, but using foam is a lot faster for making such details... I would have wasted a day or good few hours if I wanted to do that with bondo... plus I want to avoid adding any more unnecessary weight.

Oooh! I've eaten Twizzlers once or twice! They were very tasty... so I can fully understand your addiction, guys! :D

More progress. On hands this time. Ordered new gloves, in the meantime I'll just add details and paint them, before I'll receive them.

I have to say I really like using 2mm foam for adding those details. Fast and quite easy. And gives the 3d look. This is what I wanted.

Will be priming them now.

DSC02604.JPG

Simply amazing, what a great build, i'll take some ideas for my build.

Thank you! I'm very glad my build could help. ;)

Nice! looks a lot cleaner. I've already noted this, but it's worth noting yet again...and those are some thick hand plates! They ever get uncomfortable? movement restricting?

Anyhow, Just a recommendation, but you could use some resin (I've used Smooth-on resin, don't remember the specific series, but I think it was the 300 series) to sort-of "fill" the pores in the foam. Makes a much more convincing metal look once painted. But, I can understand if you want to keep it light. Function over form! But for some of us..."form over function!" :D

And did you pass over the foam with a heat gun? Hair dryer works too, but it takes longer. heat just helps fill in the pores. You likely already know this^, but just checking.:)

Do you plan on "foam-inating" the whole armor set for consistency? Besides the parts you're remaking, that is.

And it's about time to see some new swagnums...plans for those anytime soon?

Last edited:
Alright. More progress. Finished adding details to the whole right hand.
Also, added details to the abdomen armor and primed the whole thing.
Looks like that so far, which I quite like. Tomorrow I'll paint all those pieces.

Also, you know the WORST possible step? Removing the paint.
This is the real paint in the butt and takes most time. UGH. Just rubbing, rubbing, rubbing... T_T

DSC02605.JPG

Nice! looks a lot cleaner. I've already noted this, but it's worth noting yet again...and those are some thick hand plates! They ever get uncomfortable? movement restricting?

Anyhow, Just a recommendation, but you could use some resin (I've used Smooth-on resin, don't remember the specific series, but I think it was the 300 series) to sort-of "fill" the pores in the foam. Makes a much more convincing metal look once painted. But, I can understand if you want to keep it light. Function over form! But for some of us..."form over function!" :D

And did you pass over the foam with a heat gun? Hair dryer works too, but it takes longer. heat just helps fill in the pores. You likely already know this^, but just checking.:)

Do you plan on "foam-inating" the whole armor set for consistency? Besides the parts you're remaking, that is.

And it's about time to see some new swagnums...plans for those anytime soon?

Thanks. ^^ I like those thick hand plates. :p
The files are so big and thick. Sure I could have made them slimmer, but I thought it's cool they are so big. They don't hinder movement at all and I found them very comfortable.
I bought the very same gloves and I'm switching them for new ones because the old ones had some wear, but together with whole armor I find those very comfortable.

Haha, I've heard about people using resin on foam pieces. There is a cheaper method too - PVA glue, which worked same. (PVA glue is cheaper and many cosplayers in my country use rather this glue than resin to harden, fill or smooth foam)
TBH I am not going to use any of those. The foam is pretty good without any filling. I just primed it and there are no real imperfections - I can always use this as damage and weather it.
And yep, I'm always using heatgun on foam - heat sealing is always great.

Actually those aren't any new pieces - those pieces area all salvaged, I just removed paint and added details. I plan on doing the whole armor like that. The shoe parts are waiting to be hardened.

Hah... New Magnums will take a while... I have to ask Kaween, who is currently printing his own projects. I'll have to gather some money in order to ask him. ;) So... It may take a while TBH.
But armor is more important. I also have some props, be it AR or BR or the Energy Sword. I might use the BoomCo Magnums for the moment.

For whole movement of the gloves and hand plates, just move to 1 minute on the video.

Sprayed the pieces with base color. Now just block few of them to spray with darker gray, then it's all finished and can begin to weather. :3
Still have to remove paint and repaint the finger tips...

DSC02609.JPG

ALSO, the second photo? Yesterday I've been using the dissolvent to remove paint from pieces and it was still bit moist - I've wrapped the towel around the piece and this is how it looks today... Interesting outcome.

DSC02608.JPG

Are you going to do a little less weathering this time? I understood what you were shooting for, but...are you planning on reducing the weathering?

Sorry. I don't mean to be nitpicky....

anyhow, looks great!

Sprayed the pieces with base color. Now just block few of them to spray with darker gray, then it's all finished and can begin to weather. :3
Still have to remove paint and repaint the finger tips...

View attachment 243578

ALSO, the second photo? Yesterday I've been using the dissolvent to remove paint from pieces and it was still bit moist - I've wrapped the towel around the piece and this is how it looks today... Interesting outcome.

View attachment 243577
What kind of dissolvment did you use?
Paint thinner? I was thinking about used wd-40 herd that works good with acrylics

Are you going to do a little less weathering this time? I understood what you were shooting for, but...are you planning on reducing the weathering?

Sorry. I don't mean to be nitpicky....

anyhow, looks great!

Yep. I'll be doing less weathering. And you're not nitpicky. ;)
I want the armor still look used, as if it has seen much action, but I'll be trying out few things but less weathered than I did for the first time... or rather, want to try few things and not rush.
I rushed with painting because I wanted to get it don on time for an event, and I didn't anyway.

What kind of dissolvment did you use?
Paint thinner? I was thinking about used wd-40 herd that works good with acrylics

It's just a solvent, I bought one for acrylics, not the universal one.
No idea, I just wanted to get rid off the paint, why use the paint thinner for this?

Alright, two forearms already painted. I just have to add red markings on the right one and do both dark gray and red markings on left one.
But, I like how more 3d it's looking.

Also, I found other glove and just to compare the new improved pieces to old ones... I'm so happier with them. :3

DSC02612.JPG

Also, removed paint on the back piece (I have to admit I liked the paintjob on the back plate most from all armor plates) and added foam details and prepared for painting.
I added the pieces on the sides. They differ a little from the in-game model, but I wanted to make them as practical carabiners - so I can hook on things if I want... like a grenade or something... like a Mister Chief plushie, hehe. ;)

DSC02613.JPG
DSC02614.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back