Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Palmer) Build [+ more]

This looks so freakin' awesome...!!! Have to say it again: Can't wait to see the whole suit finished.

I'm curious: Do you already have plans for the neck of the suit? Painted fabric, some latex, some foam or some combination of the mentioned?
As far as I'm concerned, I'm searching for a good way to get the neck as close as possible to the following picture, but nevertheless keep the neck and head as freely movable as possible...

spartan_buck_neck_03.jpg

This suit is amazing! Its really cool to see a faithful recreation of palmer.

I saw this on Facebook and I think you mentioned you made the needles out of Glue sticks? What is your method exactly? I've been wanting to upgrade my needles and these looks great!

Yeah, I've used glue stick! :D I just carved them. After I posted it someone else posted his method that he scratched it, I rather advice clean cuts as it imitates crystal a lot better - crystals have clean cuts and not scratchy surface. :)
If you want, I could post some photos or something.

I'm planning to have heat exchange areas on certain parts of the suit where there won't be a ton of coverage of the latex (or now that you mention washing, most likely silicone) just like military body armor. DARPA and the US Army have also been doing stress test studies in the past few years showing best methods of keeping a soldiers body cool while wearing full gear. I plan to copy their findings in my build (Just posted the thread a bit ago) during my undersuit portion.

Costume cooling has been a study area of mine for a long while! I hope I can help other Spartans here with some of my findings and potential DIY builds to make wearing and performing in the costumes a more enjoyable experience.

Oh, then it's going to very interesting experiment! Good luck! :D
And yeah, if we all had unlimited resources... how many more things would could do, right?! :D

This looks so freakin' awesome...!!! Have to say it again: Can't wait to see the whole suit finished.

I'm curious: Do you already have plans for the neck of the suit? Painted fabric, some latex, some foam or some combination of the mentioned?
As far as I'm concerned, I'm searching for a good way to get the neck as close as possible to the following picture, but nevertheless keep the neck and head as freely movable as possible...

View attachment 25534

Thank you very much. :)
I can't wait to finish the suit too, believe me. xD

Fireteam Osiris has quite unique undersuits - each and every one of them.
I posted some shots of Palmer below - Palmer has the generic GEN2 undersuit in Halo 5 and she is the one Spartan we see without helmet... she she's the only resource. xD Also, as a sidenote I think her face looked SO MUCH BETTER in Halo 4. They made her more ugly in Halo 5... and her hair almost black wtf. v_v
But, back to the undersuits. In Halo 5, pretty much the only thing they added is the thing that separates the suit from the body. That thick thing.It looks nice, however I can't decide what i liked more - Halo 4 or Halo 5 version. Overall, I prefer the Halo 4 undersuit - I have no idea why they decided to get rid off the hexagon pattern on the suit ALSO I dislike the shoulders, how round and comically big they look. <_< 343i, you did great job with GEN2 suit and armor in Halo 4, why change it? (and some faces... Palmer and Lasky looked so much better in Halo 4) v_v

I don't really know how I'll do the neck area. Definitely some cloth. I can't make any molds and cast them in silicone. Also, it would stand out - the whole suit in cloth, and the neck in silicone. No. I'll try to make it nice with same material as I'm doing the undersuit - I'll try to make the form of the neck with some foam and maybe wires to reinforce it to stay in one place? I've been thinking about it, but I'm not sure yet... ;_;

haloneck.jpg

This suit is amazing! Its really cool to see a faithful recreation of palmer.

Thank you. :)

But yeah, another update. Well, two updates.

First, I've finally found a BoomCo SMG. You have no idea how HARD it is get any BoomCos outside of America. SMG was literally IMPOSSIBRU to get. No store was selling and shipping internationally, or some private sellers had impossibly expensive shipping. Some people from Halo community offered to buy and ship them, but still - shipping was twice as expensive as the blaster.
After over 6 months of searching for it, yes, over 6 months, my jaw dropped when I've seen Mattel selling SMG ONLY in Germany. WOW. I ordered it immediately, lol. :D
So happy I have it. I have pretty much all the BoomCo blasters I wanted to have... perhaps one day I'll buy the Plasma Pistol as well, but it's available so it's no problem. Some people have been wondering - I'll still be using dual Magnums most of the time. I love the magnums... but I also wanted to have other guns, to either just have them in collection or sometimes use them as props. :D

ALSO! Lights! As you can see, my chest is lit up like a Christmas Tree! \o/
I was so desperate and was asking around for help here on 405th in different thread and thank you all so much for your help! I am a n00b and idiot when it comes to electronics and physics stuff and such (EGGHEADS!!!), but one of you has given me idea to use flashlights and lamps! This is the best idea for all these people who fear doing electronics themselves. Actually, I have no idea why didn't I think of it before - when I've gotten the BoomCo Needler I'm using a flashlight to mod it... ._.

Made some photos to see how everything looks like and mostly to see how the SMG looks like, if in scale, too small or too big. Pretty nice.

DSC00910.JPGDSC00915.JPGDSC00922.JPGDSC00925.JPG

So yeah, I've been searching in these cheaper stores and I've found perfect flashlights.
On the left on the top - you can see how the flashlight looked like and on the bottom how I disassembled it and cut out the plastic I don't need, just keeping the battery box. I bought 6 of these flashlights (4 for chest - 2 front, 2 back and 2 for shoulders) and actually they are so damn bright! 200 lumens... o.o' About 4,50$ for each, thank you! XD

DSC00927.JPG

I would't go w/ wire.......it does have the rigidity needed to keep the upright look to the neck seal but it will also bend and remain in that fixed position......I would suggest a flexible tube of silicone. Something as thin as a standard drinking straw, solid of course but w/ flex to it, ringed around the neck. Sandwiched in some fabric.....could work. Wire may also be to unforgiving......wouldn't want that to poke through and in to you while wearing the whole suit.

In the lower left pic, you can see the outline of one section right below the ear. Perhaps that section alone (both sides that is) using a stiff piece of plastic could support the whole neck piece? When I took apart my sky-dive suit, the arms and legs had "Runners" on them. Semi-rigid foam stitched to the suit.

Ghibli_1319464863.jpg

The red strips are hand grips that other divers grab on to to keep in formation while falling. Hard and strong enough to grip w/o tearing but soft enough to not impede motion. Perhaps a ring of that along the top w/ those 2 side ridged pieces might work........You may have to use either a clasp or Velcro to close it together because you wouldn't be able to slip that over your head.....

I would't go w/ wire.......it does have the rigidity needed to keep the upright look to the neck seal but it will also bend and remain in that fixed position......I would suggest a flexible tube of silicone. Something as thin as a standard drinking straw, solid of course but w/ flex to it, ringed around the neck. Sandwiched in some fabric.....could work. Wire may also be to unforgiving......wouldn't want that to poke through and in to you while wearing the whole suit.

In the lower left pic, you can see the outline of one section right below the ear. Perhaps that section alone (both sides that is) using a stiff piece of plastic could support the whole neck piece? When I took apart my sky-dive suit, the arms and legs had "Runners" on them. Semi-rigid foam stitched to the suit.

View attachment 25558

The red strips are hand grips that other divers grab on to to keep in formation while falling. Hard and strong enough to grip w/o tearing but soft enough to not impede motion. Perhaps a ring of that along the top w/ those 2 side ridged pieces might work........You may have to use either a clasp or Velcro to close it together because you wouldn't be able to slip that over your head.....

Oh, if I would use the wire it would be covered with the fabric, glue or something. :) But yeah, the wire would probably be a no-go as it won't return to it's original shape I desire... I was thinking of piece of foam perhaps. Dunno yet. Will have to try things out. Hmm... Silicone? It would just bend, it's too flexible, right?

Yeah, I was thinking of something similar to that pic to stabilize the neck from behind, but right now I'm thinking how to stabilize it from the front under the chin so it will want to stay up. :D
Also, I don't want a stiff piece of plastic as I want to be able to bend my neck. ;)

Also as for a late update... Well, weather hasn't been great lately and I still have to fiberglass the second arm and harden small parts of the chest... but well, it's been raining pretty much all the time so I couldn't do any resining also I couldn't do any sanding as I can only do it outside now. v_v

BUT, after I was putting armor for test-fit - chest armor and shoulders, I realized I made my shoulder pads waaay too big. While they will work fine for normal guys - for me they are way too big as the chest piece is really wide and I want the shoulder armor to sit as high as possible to not hinder my elbow movement (it's weird, because the frontal piece is very big and it kinda hinders my elbow - I can't bend it as much, so I rather have the shoulder armor higher)... So in the meantime I made smaller set, which I measured if it fits perfectly between the armor.

DSC00959.JPG

ALSO, I've tested how the foam will stick to the undersuit - tested on a scrap with a piece of foam I won't need anymore. It's a success. I tested it one hour after I glued it on, while it didn't dry yet, so it wasn't as strong, but once it really set in - it tore the foam apart and I couldn't get the rest off. I'm satisfied.

DSC00960.JPG

While I was testing the shoulders I also put the spinal parts to the test, if they aren't too big nor too small. They are also great and fit perfectly - one piece is almost completely covered, like it should be. Will have to figure out how to properly make the piece of top, but other than... another win.

DSC00845.JPG

Also, you may have already seen but I've been brainstorming, just a concept... for now.

halospartanbioshep.JPG

Some, was doing some work on the neck of the undersuit. Just testing things what I can do to make the neck stiffer to hold up.
I can say I used foam and made partial "skeleton" and I'm happy with the result.
I'll just have to finish it, make some parts again and after I have painted the whole suit I'll just glue them on.

Tried taking some photos, but they didn't really show anything, so here is the video.

PS. I made a channel where I'll post all the costume-related videos from now on. :)

ALSO, finally made the last piece for the spine. It took some time to figure it out how to make it satisfying... but I managed to do it.
Most likely I'll spray it tomorrow with plastilak (=plastidip in my country) and paint it.

DSC00967.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

That's a very interesting and useful video, certainly is a new approach to the whole neck design which has been giving me the needed amount of grief and in the end, I simply gave up on it but it kept nagging me. Had run out of time so I just went with what I head but I was never happy with it as it looked and felt sloppy.
Seeing this is what I needed to give it another go. :)

That's a very interesting and useful video, certainly is a new approach to the whole neck design which has been giving me the needed amount of grief and in the end, I simply gave up on it but it kept nagging me. Had run out of time so I just went with what I head but I was never happy with it as it looked and felt sloppy.
Seeing this is what I needed to give it another go. :)

I was thinking about many ways but this is IMO the best. I didn't want to make full-neck, you know, to have airflow, but this seems to hold the most important parts in place so the neck stays up.
Also, it's quite comfortable! I can bend and move my head freely - although it's bit harder, but foam is flexible. :)
The only hard part on the test video... it was painful for my hair - some of it stuck to the tape. x_X''

Good luck! I was happy with the result and first I was thinking about wires or some stuff to hold the neck in place and foam seems to be the perfect solution! :D
Please share the progress!

I love in the background how theres a giant master chief statue!
Looks really good as always!

I love seeing your progress. You are very talented and have creative solutions to problems that arise. Thank you for sharing this build with the community and letting us follow along with your journey.

I love in the background how theres a giant master chief statue!
Looks really good as always!

Collecting figures is my addiction... I did not say that out loud... o_o

I love seeing your progress. You are very talented and have creative solutions to problems that arise. Thank you for sharing this build with the community and letting us follow along with your journey.

Thank you very much. :D
I try to find solutions... I hate when problems occur and I can't really solve them. <_<
So, I try to share my solutions and how I do things as sometimes they can be useful for others. :D
Thanks. ^^

This is amazing! What did you do for the visor?

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46294&p=752632&viewfull=1#post752632

Also, I finished the spine and the crotch piece that I did again.

About the spine. I'm so happy I finished it. I had it laying around for a longer time as I tried to find a good way of doing the top part.
Freehanding is hard and it may look easy and simple, but for me I had really hard time... and I'm very happy in the end.

Also, about the red spots. I FOUND THEM ON PALMER'S ARMOR! I kid you not, I swear.
I thought I'd seen them before, so I went through Halo cutscenes and found it!

DSC00974.JPG

While it isn't perfect, this is best picture I found... It's bit harder to see but it IS reddish... o.o
So I used that as an excuse and did some red details on the spinal parts. ^^'

ytyt.JPG

Re: Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

That is looking SO good! I can see you are improving all the way.

SB

Also, wanted to share an idea I had for elbow and knee parts and how to connect them to the respective pieces.
It's especially hard with the Scout build as they seem connected with the forearm/shin piece and yet they stand out so when you bend the elbow, they don't bend.
It was most complicated for me with the knee piece - if I'd harden it together with the shin piece, I couldn't crouch and touch any knee with the ground out of fear they'd break apart as, like I said, the knee piece doesn't bend with the knee:

My Great Capture Screenshot 2016-03-02 15-59-27.png

^ here you can see what I mean, it would be impossible to "take a knee" without these breaking apart.
So I was really thinking HOW to do it... and I found a solution. While it may not be perfect, it *might* work great.
GLUE STICKS you use for hot glue gun. They are strong, won't break and yet they are flexible.
They might be bit thicker, but just cover them.
So, I could crouch and touch the ground with a knee wihtout fearing it would break apart from the shin.
Also, I think it could be more comfortable.

I did a small test with a forearm and elbow piece below.
What do you think? Do you have any better ideas? ._.

DSC00976.JPG
DSC00977.JPG
DSC00979.JPG

---

That is looking SO good! I can see you are improving all the way.

SB

Thank you very much. :)

Can't wait to see this armor finished!

Thank you. :)
Me neither...

a cool idea !!! looks fantastic !!! (y)love:thumbsup

Thank you! ^^

It works great, it doesn't wobble around and yet, when I press it on a hard surface, it bends a little, closer to my elbow so it seems like a perfect solution... unless someone else can come up with a better one.
BUT, it might be a good solution of wearing all these parts for others too. :D

Just, have to make a compromise and cover it up, making it look like it has more padding on the inside.
But, it's a compromise I'm very willing to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back