Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, last time I was active you had just signed up and started posting....now a year later and you are almost done with an EPIC build. Congrats, can't wait to see it finished!

Alright. I've gotten my first photos where I was mostly in costume (I needed photos for the contest application)

The butt armor is missing and as you can see the left shin moved to the side... The reason is I'm still not done with padding and strapping system, so I had to literally hold on to the pieces so they won't fall down.
To be honest I'm positively surprised it looks good.

NOTE: This is NOT the finished costume yet.

I just really needed pictures, so of course I'd share them too. ;)
(bad weather - cold, raining... but needed photos, eh.)

frsib.jpg

It is seriously looking great, Mara. I can't wait to see you wearing the whole ensemble

Thank you very much.
I'll drop behind enemy lines next weekend, so I don't have much time left.

Each part of this looks fantastic, put together its spectacular!
the attention to detail is what really makes the whole thing pop I think!

Thank you very much.
Hah, I sometimes care too much for all those little details and that's why I'm stuck.
I think there is a thin line between how much you should concentrate on details not to overdo it... or you could be working on just one part forever.

Man, last time I was active you had just signed up and started posting....now a year later and you are almost done with an EPIC build. Congrats, can't wait to see it finished!

Thank you! Yeah, it's been whole long year since then... Took me long enough.

*claps* I don't have words that'll do what you've done here justice. You've done one heck of a job!

Well, again I'm working under pressure.
Also, I run out of resin which is crap, because I need more... gotta go to the store tomorrow.

Attached the strap and buckle to the thighs today. It was a very important thing for me as you can't screw up with rondo, unless you have a lot of time and nerve to fix it up later on... Tomorrow I'll see if I did a good job or now. Also, adding a layer of rondo inside on the thighs as they always feel so thin I'm afraid they could crack.
Also, yesterday I attached and secured the magnets too.
(I'll still to attach straps and buckles to shins and butt piece)

WP_20161010_18_03_14_Pro.jpg

Just tested. Turned out everything is fine. And yeah, playing with the strapping system.

DSC01579.JPG

I've added padding on the bottom chest piece. Why? it's often showing, you can see it especially from the side... So it has to look pretty of course.

DSC01578.JPG

Also, helmet is on hold. I covered it all in bondo so far (no idea how I didn't do a newer picture), but it's raining for days now... and it's very cold. So, unless the weather magically changes, I don't really plan working on it this month... Winter is coming.

WP_20161004_10_59_43_Pro.jpg

I found this thread primarily through a search for the under layer of an armor set, but I ended up looking through your process and I have to say I am highly impressed by your dedication. You've supplied me with a huge piece of advice I needed when you said how many resizes you went through near the beginning. It's easy to get discouraged when each piece takes so long to put together, but the experience speeds things along for the next attempt. Great work!

In the meantime I attached the straps and buckles on the shins as well.
Here are the photos of my fit test.

Also, I just tried the butt piece there, it was attached just with some tape.
Yes, tape is very helpful... I've been scared of attaching the straps and buckles to the pieces, because it's permanent, meaning I can NOT screw it up... or I'll have a lot of fixing to do.
So I rather test it multiple times with tape, figuring out where it should go.
After I tested it, I went out to attach it... and now just waiting for it to harden.

I may be overly cautious. I know. Someone wrote to me I could use hot glue to do that instead of rondo.
I've tested hot glue and it isn't hard to remove it from the pepakura pieces and I need something strong and reliable, not to constantly worry if it will hold or not...
So, it may be an overkill, but for attaching everything I always used rondo and fiberglass.

Also, I'm testing the straps now, figuring the perfect height for the thighs and shins.

lowerr.JPG
lower.JPG

I'm loving this. It looks awesome and it looks like you're quite good at this too :D

Thank you.

*claps slowly*

*bows low*

We are NOT worthy!

Yes, you are!

I found this thread primarily through a search for the under layer of an armor set, but I ended up looking through your process and I have to say I am highly impressed by your dedication. You've supplied me with a huge piece of advice I needed when you said how many resizes you went through near the beginning. It's easy to get discouraged when each piece takes so long to put together, but the experience speeds things along for the next attempt. Great work!

Thank you! I'm very happy to hear I could help. ;)

I think the issue isn't addressed enough and many people don't realize it often (if not mostly) takes you few times to get something right. And after first attempt, they can get discouraged, thinking they failed... Just the attitude is the key.
You can get discouraged OR you can get motivation. YOU GAINED EXP from that one attempt. The second one will be easier and faster as you already have the knowledge of doing that... and there is a big chance that it will be just right... or better.

Just being honest, you can get something right at the first attempt VERY rarely... unless you're a genius.

I agree, it can be frustrating to spend many hours on cutting out and gluing all the pieces... only to realize it's too big or too small.
Then just take a break, play something, watch a movie, take a walk... and start it again tomorrow.

That's really to bad about the helmet, what can you do though right? But everything else seems to be going very well! If you don't mind me asking what kind of magnets did you use for the magnum and thighs? And how did you install them? I plan on doing the same for my build for both my thigh piece and maybe even the back of my torso if it's possible.

That's really to bad about the helmet, what can you do though right? But everything else seems to be going very well! If you don't mind me asking what kind of magnets did you use for the magnum and thighs? And how did you install them? I plan on doing the same for my build for both my thigh piece and maybe even the back of my torso if it's possible.

Thank you.
About the helmet, actually I'm not feeling bad at all. I mean, Palmer is mostly seen without... and helmetless Spartans are rarely seen anyway. Gotta promote the minority! ;)
Even when I do the helmet for the next year, I'm not planning to walk in helmet the whole time, I still like to go without it...

Oh, you're using foam, right? I totally would not recommend those magnets I used at all. They are too strong for foam and you'd destroy your costume, they could literally tear you foam apart... Problem is - foam is soft and flexible. Even if you use weaker magnets, the pistol will go into your thigh, making marks. (@kaween said he used bit weaker magnets than me and his BoomCo could slide down, but was still pressing into his foam and leaving marks)
For the strength problem, you coud use multiple weaker magnets and hope it will be ok... but you won't get rid of those markings being created by the pistol pulling into the foam.
I used neodymium magnets N38 3,5x3,5x10mm with pulling strength 25kg.
It works perfectly fine for me, because my thighs are hard, but I still used one more layer of fiberglass (also because the piece is round, so I could fill the space anyway, but I already used a place, where there is as little space inbetween as possible).

I am not going to forbid or anything... I just wouldn't use the magnets myself if I was using foam. Too dangerous for me. Could either destroy my costume or the prop.

Huh, I never really thought about how the magnets would wreck the foam but I can see that happening now that I think about it. I think I'm going to play around with the idea a bit, make some test pieces and see if I can figure something out. Thanks for the info! You may have just saved my build from destroying itself! :)

In the meantime I attached the straps and buckles on the shins as well.
Here are the photos of my fit test.

Also, I just tried the butt piece there, it was attached just with some tape.
Yes, tape is very helpful... I've been scared of attaching the straps and buckles to the pieces, because it's permanent, meaning I can NOT screw it up... or I'll have a lot of fixing to do.
So I rather test it multiple times with tape, figuring out where it should go.
After I tested it, I went out to attach it... and now just waiting for it to harden.

I may be overly cautious. I know. Someone wrote to me I could use hot glue to do that instead of rondo.
I've tested hot glue and it isn't hard to remove it from the pepakura pieces and I need something strong and reliable, not to constantly worry if it will hold or not...
So, it may be an overkill, but for attaching everything I always used rondo and fiberglass.

Also, I'm testing the straps now, figuring the perfect height for the thighs and shins.

View attachment 32381
View attachment 32382

Thank you.

Yes, you are!

Thank you! I'm very happy to hear I could help. ;)

I think the issue isn't addressed enough and many people don't realize it often (if not mostly) takes you few times to get something right. And after first attempt, they can get discouraged, thinking they failed... Just the attitude is the key.
You can get discouraged OR you can get motivation. YOU GAINED EXP from that one attempt. The second one will be easier and faster as you already have the knowledge of doing that... and there is a big chance that it will be just right... or better.

Just being honest, you can get something right at the first attempt VERY rarely... unless you're a genius.

I agree, it can be frustrating to spend many hours on cutting out and gluing all the pieces... only to realize it's too big or too small.
Then just take a break, play something, watch a movie, take a walk... and start it again tomorrow.

Can I ask where you got the yoke from? It looks like it's from an old military combat vest. It's absolutely perfect, from what I can see. I think I'll try the same method, but which vest/rucksack did it come from?

Alright. Came back home from Warsaw Games Week video game fair.
It was great. :)

Report: no real damage. Just some scratches that I can easily cover up with paint... but it's understandable when hard surface is rubbing on the hard surface, the paint rubs away.
SO HAPPY NOTHING BROKE! It was my main concern and fear.
Now, upcoming weekend is another drop - Poznań Game Arena and I'll be going there on Friday morning.
Gotta do those quick fixes and some details.

Also, got 3rd place... Dropped behind the enemy lines, because the contest was sponsored by Playstation, hehe.

Sadly I don't have any pictures myself, but I'm still hunting for pictures and videos... All the stuff is by other people.

Here is a small snippet from me on stage.

Met a very nice Playstation staff guy. Was very cool and very happy to hold the Magnum, hehe.

14690888_1248816348508214_7613996091164078715_n.jpg

Aloy from PS's upcoming Horizon game. Great person! Was so honored she wanted a pic with me, she was amazing!

FKq5UYyQ.jpg

Photo of me on stage.

14692016_1108756612553005_6211246335877259281_o.jpg

Photo by the Aloy cosplayer.

Dao5qGu3.jpg

PSNts... peasants... ;)
Just kidding, it was my friend's phone's fault!

dfvk.jpg

Huh, I never really thought about how the magnets would wreck the foam but I can see that happening now that I think about it. I think I'm going to play around with the idea a bit, make some test pieces and see if I can figure something out. Thanks for the info! You may have just saved my build from destroying itself! :)

Foam is flexible and easy to tear apart. ;) Such strength? Easy.
You're very welcome and I hope you'll find a good solution for yourself. :)

Can I ask where you got the yoke from? It looks like it's from an old military combat vest. It's absolutely perfect, from what I can see. I think I'll try the same method, but which vest/rucksack did it come from?

It's Condor H-Harness. Bought it online. :)
I love Condor stuff, used it earlier and had the very same h-harness before too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back