Fiberglass cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the purpose of fiberglass cloth/ how do you lay and cut it correctly? Also what is a common store where you can get the resin and cloth for relatively cheap? Site links...?

Andrew L said:
What is the purpose of fiberglass cloth/ how do you lay and cut it correctly? Also what is a common store where you can get the resin and cloth for relatively cheap? Site links...?
Fiberglass cloth makes it thicker and extremely stronger... I could drop mine and it might just get a scratch on the paint...
But I'm not because that is stupid...
Menards has the resin... Ace has cloth... :\

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew L said:
I live in the South we don't have Menards. I saw one in Illinois once. Does wal mart hae eithor/or?
i dont believe they have cloth but wal mart might have resin im not sure, i got mine from some ''piece o' ****'' car retailer
lol, it had a shitload of items to chose from that had to do in accordance to the MJOLNIR paint and the firbreglass cloth /resin ect, i dont even remember what its called ,, NAPA may have resin and cloth , not sure,
hope this helps
,Dallis

Last edited by a moderator:
Bondo is the brand
You need fiberglass resin if you are doing fiberglass, it will be in the automotive department. Read the cans and packages.

Fiberglass resin or resin is what holds and makes the fiberglass hard as rock. You need hardener and fiberglass cloth. You have to apply it.
Resin->Fiberglass->Resin.
you can add a few layers, after your first layer, add the fiberglass, use a bit of glue or w/e then put another coat of resin on, the fiberglass will soak up the resin and become as hard as rock.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut wait fiberglass mat is so much stronger.

Trust me for the inside of the helmet where nobody will see it, fiberglass mat is way stronger although it is quite messy but is still worth it in a big way.

Fiberglass and resin are two parts of an equation

Fiberglass is normaly composed of glass fibers, though it can be mixes of different materials. It's very flexible but has no rigidity, but it is resistant to pulling forces along the length of the fibers

Resin is normaly a two-part epoxy it hardens when mixed, but it is not flexible and is rather easily broken

When you combine the two, the resin gives the fibers rigidity while the fibers allow the resin to resist bending & breakage
fiberglass cloth has fibers arrayed in a uniform crossing pattern, a cloth weave; matting is not orderly, and is often used as a strengthening filler

this combination is sometimes called a matrix and is something that actually exists, no matter what pill you choose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back