Fiberglass Fumes - Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

A few years back, before I even knew of the 405th and all this, I was an idiot. I have a respirator now, but I had figured itd be ok if I was outside.

So, basicly, I used fiberglass resin a few times, without a respirator, outside in my backyard. It wasnt super heavy like, only 10-15 minutes, and I wasnt more than like 4 times, but now Ive been reading all these posts about safety and Im freaking out.

Is there anywhere I can find out like, exposure levels and consequences, or if anything is going to screw my brain in the future?

Sorry if this was a stupid post

CPU64 said:
Don't worry, you'll be fine :)

Agreed. A little exposure isn't necessarily good, but if it's only been a few times and for as short a time as you said, you're fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have lost a couple brain cells, but not a whole lot more than that. Glad to hear you have a respirator. They save a lot of headaches. Literally. And they are great for when your roommates fart. You don't smell a thing!! Talk about volatile organic compounds!

A little bit of exposure to resin fumes poses no significant health effects (especially compared to me having a week in labs).

When you come round to using fibreglass though, you need to be safety-conscious from the start.

Hello All,

after about 6 years of exposed without a respirator, I too thought about if I did damage. So I went to a respiratory clinic to be tested. I am told the effect is similar to smoking, that the organic particles get lodge in the small capillary in the lungs and plugs them. after 6 years of heavy exposed, I have little damage, I lost about 1% of lung capacity. So I would not worry too much about it your fine.

stilgar

Like everyone else says, for that amount of time, and being outside, you're a-ok...

I kill more braincells at the bar on Friday night than you probably lost. :lol

Knowldge is power, and now you know. And, as GI Joe used to say, knowing is half the battle!

Stilgar Hammer said:
Hello All,

after about 6 years of exposed without a respirator, I too thought about if I did damage. So I went to a respiratory clinic to be tested. I am told the effect is similar to smoking, that the organic particles get lodge in the small capillary in the lungs and plugs them. after 6 years of heavy exposed, I have little damage, I lost about 1% of lung capacity. So I would not worry too much about it your fine.

stilgar

A friend of mine smoked for 10 years and had 99% lung kapacity. Does that mean that smoking is harmless?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also realize that, but for the people that DON'T get it... Some people have inhaled TOO much resin in a confined area. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back