fiberglass in my finger, Gwaaaaaa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just started fiber glassing my helm and i some how got fiber glass stuck under my skin and its then most annoying thing in the world.

is there any kind of magical trick to getting this stuff out or do i have to let it work its way out on its own?

Well, you can wait a few days for your body to realize it's a foreign object, and it'll push it out on its own.

Or you can just do what I would do and sterilize a sewing needle and pick it out. That one isn't recommended though *shudder*

soak your hands... but really, gloves are a must have for fiberglass. also, keep your hands very clean, because the skin is broken so that u can see it, but bacteria can still get in there just fine.

It's too late. Your only option is to amputate your finger. Hope you don't play the piano!

Friendly said:
It's too late. Your only option is to amputate your finger. Hope you don't play the piano!

lol that was funny, ill try to get some gloves for the next time

Last edited by a moderator:
Disposable gloves are your friend when fiberglassing. it lets you touch the resin and glass without messing your own hands, clean up is easy as taking a glove off!

Spartan 051 said:
but that if you know how to take off gloves right

gloves would be pointless if you dont know how to pull them off
Everyone knows how to take gloves off, theres no need to say someone cant.

AoBfrost said:
Everyone knows how to take gloves off, theres no need to say someone cant.

i have seen stupid people take off there gloves and get paint on them

Your skin will eventually force the fiberglass out. It will itch and burn (it's very sharp on the micro level) until it is gone.

Don't wash the area with warm water as it will open the pores and exacerbate the problem. Cold water is your friend :). Wear gloves/coverall next time.

yeah i just stoped by rite aid and grabbed some latex gloves and they seemed to work fine.
hands still itch tho, guess ill have to get used to it for a while. :(

Maybe I'm just a freak or something, but I've NEVER gotten the fiberglass itch... I can handle it barehanded all I want.. Wierd..

Safety, Safety....Safety.

Sean Bradley said:
Maybe I'm just a freak or something, but I've NEVER gotten the fiberglass itch... I can handle it barehanded all I want.. Wierd..

Safety, Safety....Safety.

Then I'm at the other end of the freak spectrum... all I have to do is look at fiberglass and I break out into rashes. Sometimes just thinking of it makes me itchy, I'm super sensitive to the stuff.
So I continue to look for non-toxic alternatives to it for me and anyone else who can't stand fiberglass, hopefully I'll come up with something soon, wasn't too happy with paper mache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back