Fiberglass Resin Jelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmurray

Jr Member
i just went to walmart and they were out of actual resin, so i bought the fiberglass resin jelly, it is from the company "bondo" and the guy at the store says it should work but he probably meant that it would work for cars, so do any of you guys know if it will work or not.

P.S. if were to work outside could i use one of the paper/cloth mesh face masks instead of the chemical respirator

no to the paper masks get a real respirator and as for the jelly thats what tim e con uses and so far all his stuff has turned out great so i dont see why it wont work you could probably ask him if you have any questions but yes it will work

are you sure that that mask wont work while im outside, i dont have a respirator and if i bought one it would slow the project down

Robby said:
Yeah, you need an organic vapor respirator. It's worth the time.

Agree! You NEED the organic vapor resirator. Breathing this stuff could mess up your lungs quite a bit!

Last edited by a moderator:
About the respirator, look around before you buy one because I got unlucky and bought one at $31.99 and then went to home depot for my bondo and found one that was like $15.99 for the same one. So, make sure you look for good prices on them before buying. if you end up going to home depot then find an associate and ask about what is a better brand. They tend to be very knowledgeable when it comes to that.

Even though what Roxas is saying, is probably true, keep in mind not to buy a too cheap respirator. It will cost you your life later. I had one of those "cheap" 10 bucks one, the first time. I had to change it 4 times, ending up going to another store paying over 40 dollars, and knowing I wont suffer from medical bills far greather than 40 dollars.

Always use a respirator, if you wanna keep your health left and dont want to get cancer.

The complete respirator guide, and I have added different labels if you are from Europe:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8604

Best Regards,

/Tahu

I meant get a good one just check around for the same brand and type. pretty much the same thing for a lower price but yes, don't risk the large medical bills.

I will always recommend the 3M Professional Series Organic Vapor Respirator. It sells for $40, comes with 4 HEPA P95 filters, 2 activated carbon cartridges, and will stay in good condition until you sand your helmet to death and clog the filter with bondo dust... Hehe?

As for resin issues, I probably would steer clear of Resin Jelly, but you should consider visiting the local AutoZone, for they have gallon cans of Resin for $38 and gallon cans of body filler for $20. In a pinch, rondo mud (Tutorial's somewhere around here) will do pretty well. I did a test, slushcasting a too-small pepakura forearm, and when it had set, it wasn't as hard as a glassed piece, but it was sturdy enough. Mudglassing would be best, methinks, but it gets expensive and time-consuming. Near-indestructable, though.

about the not as hard issue i was going to use fiberglass matt with it too but scince no one hase offered any information on the jelly i have decided to return it and get some actual resin, from a different company, and see how it works out

P.S. i was getting really annoid that no one told me about the jelly and just ent on about the respirator, I GET THE POINT :angry

Good, we're driving it home. Paper respirators don't cut it.

As for the Jelly, I'm not too sure, having not used it myself, but I wouldn't chance it. It's got to have a softening ingredient in it on top of the resin and hardener, which would make it easier to crack than standard resin and fiberglass. it's kind of like those "detergents" in gasoline; great for cleaning your engine, but you get less mileage because you get less actual gasoline per gallon. I'd stick with the regular resin, but if you want to test it, make something simple and small, like an ODST knee or something, and do one with the jelly and one with the resin, and see what happens.

Be sure to take pictures, and let us know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back