Fiberglass Step

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdgibbs

I already have the initial inner and outer resin coating applied and dried.

For the fiberglass I was told resin, fiberglass, then resin. However I saw an interesting tutorial that said instead of doing that you could use spray adhesive, then fiberglass, then resin. Has anyone tried this? The first layer of resin (in this step not the original one for hardening) is pretty much to hold it in place while you fiberglass and apply the second layer right?

I have. The spray adhesive is just a means of securing the pieces of fiberglass in place before applying another coat of resin.

Personally, in lieu of the spray adhesive, I'd lay a very light coat of resin on the inside of the part you are fiberglassing. You can lay your fiberglass cloth or mat onto this resin and it will (for the most part) stick to it while you lay more resin into the fiberglass until it is fully soaked.

....and what was your opinion? Did you prefer this method over the standard resin, glass, resin technique? Because I had a terrible time with my gloves being more tacky than what I was sticking the fiberglass to.

I have done the spray adhesive method and in my experience it was easier, and comes out much cleaner. Prior to this i was cutting the fiberglass into strips, soaking in resin, and then laying it in the helmet. Always had problems with fiberglass sticking to my gloves, which pulled off strands that would harden and i would have to trim. The spray adhesive allows for a more precise layup, since you can change it and reposition pieces before hardening. Good if you want to conserve material

....and what was your opinion? Did you prefer this method over the standard resin, glass, resin technique? Because I had a terrible time with my gloves being more tacky than what I was sticking the fiberglass to.
I prefer this method (spray adhesive) because I don't have to deal with an extra coat of resin and its smell and stickiness. I don't have to wear any gloves to place the fiber glass. So it goes like this:inner resin coat, spray adhesive, fiberglass, resin coat.

I have done the spray adhesive method and in my experience it was easier, and comes out much cleaner. Prior to this i was cutting the fiberglass into strips, soaking in resin, and then laying it in the helmet. Always had problems with fiberglass sticking to my gloves, which pulled off strands that would harden and i would have to trim. The spray adhesive allows for a more precise layup, since you can change it and reposition pieces before hardening. Good if you want to conserve material

Mountain this method you speak of sounds much better than the resin the fiberglass cloth because the same thing happened to me with the fiberglass sticking to the gloves then I also had to dremel the final parts because no one likes things sticking in their skull.

Just throwing this out there.... does anyone know If adding that layer of spray adhesive will cause issues with bonding the fiberglass layer to your resin model?

I haven't tried this method before, but in all my other areas of expertise (painting, woodwork, metal fab, body work, etc), adding an extra medium in between two similar mediums is strayed away from, due the chance of less superior adhesion.

Just throwing this out there.... does anyone know If adding that layer of spray adhesive will cause issues with bonding the fiberglass layer to your resin model?

I haven't tried this method before, but in all my other areas of expertise (painting, woodwork, metal fab, body work, etc), adding an extra medium in between two similar mediums is strayed away from, due the chance of less superior adhesion.

Not in my experience. If you think about it, once the fiberglass has cured you essentially have a fiberglass cast sitting inside your paper model, with the tolerances too tight for bonding between the two mediums to really matter anyway. It's just essentially there holding shape from the inside, as opposed to when you apply it to a damaged car from the outside, where you have to worry about the resin and bondo adhering to the surface of the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back