Fibreglass- Fiberglass- Canadian Eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipper

Jr Member
Hey guys at the 405th, I'm finally gathering up the courage to start my own thread.

I've been reading the forums for a long time, and I have read all of the tutorials on both the molded armor section and the pepakura armor section, and I have decided that pepakura armor would be perfect for me, because I'm growing a lot and it seems pointless to me to make a molded suit that will only fit me for about 4 days and then I would have to find a place for it because of it's height issues. I downloaded everything and started to make it, only to find out that more detailed models were out in pepakura form. The good thing about this is that my entire suit will probably not fit me in a year, and because my mom is a teacher, she can wear it to school for Halloween (or haloween, I've only been a member for a few days). The only part of my armor that wouldn't be outgrown would be my helmet, and that's why I made the new H3 high detail helmet. I'm following the time line of getting the basic things done by this Halloween, and I am going to completely redesign a whole new, better looking suit of armor that will look a lot better than this one (even though I have to say what I have done now looks pretty darn good).

Anyways, I have been folding and cutting and hot gluing for the past two weeks, after doing about a month of research on this forum and mjolnirarmour.com, and searching for reference pictures, and I have finally begun to start resining. I am already done the left and right arms, and I am on my way to fiberglassing the helmet, chest and belt.

My question is...

Do I have to fiberglass cloth the inside of my helmet, chest and belt, or do I just resin it a few times. I hate to waste fiberglass cloth, because it costs about $10 for 3sq feet. I don't mind resin, because a 42oz can costs only $12.

I'm taking this very slow, because even though it is my first time ever making Mjolnir armor, I would still like it to look good.

tipper said:
Hey guys at the 405th, I'm finally gathering up the courage to start my own thread.

I've been reading the forums for a long time, and I have read all of the tutorials on both the molded armor section and the pepakura armor section, and I have decided that pepakura armor would be perfect for me, because I'm growing a lot and it seems pointless to me to make a molded suit that will only fit me for about 4 days and then I would have to find a place for it because of it's height issues. I downloaded everything and started to make it, only to find out that more detailed models were out in pepakura form. The good thing about this is that my entire suit will probably not fit me in a year, and because my mom is a teacher, she can wear it to school for Halloween (or haloween, I've only been a member for a few days). The only part of my armor that wouldn't be outgrown would be my helmet, and that's why I made the new H3 high detail helmet. I'm following the time line of getting the basic things done by this Halloween, and I am going to completely redesign a whole new, better looking suit of armor that will look a lot better than this one (even though I have to say what I have done now looks pretty darn good).

Anyways, I have been folding and cutting and hot gluing for the past two weeks, after doing about a month of research on this forum and mjolnirarmour.com, and searching for reference pictures, and I have finally begun to start resining. I am already done the left and right arms, and I am on my way to fiberglassing the helmet, chest and belt.

My question is...

Do I have to fiberglass cloth the inside of my helmet, chest and belt, or do I just resin it a few times. I hate to waste fiberglass cloth, because it costs about $10 for 3sq feet. I don't mind resin, because a 42oz can costs only $12.

I'm taking this very slow, because even though it is my first time ever making Mjolnir armor, I would still like it to look good.

Christ! $12 for 42 oz???? Damm thats cheap. I paid $50 for 4Liters (Canadian eh) which is about 1 Gallon. ( how many oz in a gallon again?)
I used the 5.6oz cloth which was $8.00 for 1 yd of 30" wide cloth.

I also fiberglassed the outside of my helmet/armor instead of the inside, I figured the inside would be too difficult. It has worked ok for me.

Wombat

Last edited by a moderator:
Put resin outside And inside
Put fiberglass cloth inside only.

I bought my fiberglass resin in canadiantire

Canada FTW :)

I finally started on the fiberglass cloth. I've only done my right bicep, but I'm taking it slow and figuring out what is going on. It turns out that the scraping tool that the kit comes with doesn't fit inside tight spaces.

I'm going to post a picture of my helmet when I get the camera working. I'm not sure if it is too big, but it should do. (It's the new H3 helm).

So far, all I need to do is get everything resined and sanded. I'm working on the resining today, and the sanding tomorrow of the pieces I've done today.

BTW, I bought my resin from home depot.

I'm the first person that has ever bought it from there. They seemed a little surprised a 15 year old kid bought a lot of fiberglass resin.

I'll post some pictures after hockey tonight.

I was just about to do it when my parents said to get ready.

Also, I like your AV Lastspartan. I've never seen anything like it browsing through other forums.

As not to double post, here's some pictures of my helmet. A piece near the mouth is a bit out of shape, and the visor is a little bent, but nothing a little tape will fix while fiberglassing.

Helmet side
IMG_0293-1.jpg

Helmet front
IMG_0291-1.jpg

Helmet on me
IMG_0292-1.jpg

It's very big on me, but I did the correct measurements, and it's the right width, just it's too tall and too long.

Should I make another one? ;)

Ok, I'm finally finished cutting out all the fiberglass cloth. I'm getting ready to resin and fiberglass a large part of my armor.

Any tips that aren't on the tutorials in the pepakura section that are good for advice?

Also as a bit of advice for all you fellow noobs out there looking for help. Gluing down the fiberglass cloth and mat before you start is definitely a good idea.

Also, wear gloves as you are cutting out the fiberglass because I have numerous cuts and scrapes from bits of fiberglass coming out of the cloth and being lodged in my skin. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back