Fibreglassing In/exterior! What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
o_O I wasnt talking about a crapload of resin/glass layers LOL, if Tom were to buy a molded helmet off of (for example) Spase, he could ask Spase to make the pull extra thick. That way you have a nice helmet that is pretty solid.... Though, If your not planning on actually goin to war with a MC helmet on then I dont think it's all that necessary to have an indestructible MC bucket, no?

I know what I can do, make a handpiece and then stamp on it. If it breaks, make another with thicker amounts of protection, stamp on it and if it breaks make another stronger one etc etc until I have one that can take average human weight with the added pressure and force of being stamped on by the relatively small area of a human foot.

As I said before anyway, the movie was called off, so I just want a suit that won't smash into a million tiny pieces if I trip in the bulky armour boots!

BTW, everyone, I have got some decent card finally (why is it so hard to find in the UK?) and have started doing some pep work for the handpiece so I know I get the size right. I am going to use paper for testers of bigger pieces. My attempt for a chest piece went horribly a while back and the kneck hole would have struggled with an arm through it lol!! If enough people ask me to put some pics up of this horrible first try at scaling then I will put a topic with it in up!

I also had an idea for people who make mistakes to post topics with pics and details of what went wrong there. They could all be gathered and put into a single subforum called armour mistakes or something like that and in there people could do replies saying how to help or just saying how funny it was without being asses about it!

I usally don't do font editing and am still getting used to forums so thats why the above is just mixes of colours, oh yeah, can someone please teach me how to do multiple quotes on one reply? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
SparTom007 said:
Testing test test...

some random dude @ some random time said:
Testing NO2

Look at the structure of a single quote before you post... you will see something like (I'll change it a bit to make sure it doesn't change. IE use "bracket instead of "[")

"bracket"quote name='SparTom007' date='Jul 24 2008, 11:36 AM' post='198108'"end bracket"

you can change the name, time, date, post, etc or just cut what you don't need out.

at the end add a "bracket"/quote"bracket"

This is the manual way...

or you could copy and paste the text you want, then highlight it all and click the button under fonts that looks like a word bubble... this will format it like any other tag without the name, date, time, etc.

Hopefully that's clear enough to understand.

-B&C

As I said before anyway, the movie was called off, so I just want a suit that won't smash into a million tiny pieces if I trip in the bulky armour boots!

You would be astounded how strong just 1/4 of fiberglass is, like I said... get the S-glass (30% stronger).

so I know I get the size right.

Have you checked out the thread on proper sizing? look through some of the posts, one of them gives directions/calculations on proper sizing by height.

I like the mistake Idea, post a new topic and see if it catches (or maybe even sticks)

the resin put onto the pep file before the glasswork was to strengthen the paper in preparation for applying the fiberglass to the inside, nothing more. I chose 4 layers because I knew I'd be doing a lot of sanding and shaping on the helmet, and was trying to avoid breaking through when sanding.
As for your math, nice, but still not real life. Your calculations are made under the assumption that everything is put on perfect, and that all layers of fiberglass/resin are even. I work with fiberglass every day (well, not every day. I don't do near as much as I used to. All I do is weld anymore). Trust me when I say an inch is 12 to 15 layers. I went through 5 or 6 32 ounce cups of resin while doing my helmet, and that was for 4 layers of resin, and then the 4 layers of fiberglass. Assuming everything goes well, and you don't put on too much, that's roughly one 32 ounce cup per layer. soooo... 12 layers +12 32 ounce cups of resin. Roughly 25 lbs of resin alone. And thats being thin.

However, while I do like a good debate, this is pointless to argue, as Leatherneck has already given you the ideal formula for glassing up the helmet.

If you really want to over engineer it, resin it with hot cure, then put a layer of absorbent cloth inside and outside, put it in a vacuum bag, pull it down to 12 - 14 inhg, then bake it at 212 for about 2 hours.
But at that point, you might as well use carbon fiber.

I think I used less than 2 cups (16 oz) of resin for my entire helmet.. And I have about 3 layers.
5 or 6 32oz cups for a helmet seems a tad much, no?

it is... and now that I think about it, I was thinking of the wrong cups. We have a bunch of disposable 16-18 oz gatorade cups we use for resin and such, not the 32 oz paint mixing cups. used one 32 oz mixing cup to do the measuring, but all in all, i probably used half of each 16 oz cup per layer, as the weather kicked it off before I could get full application.

Thats what I get for shooting off my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back