Finheads Ironman Build - Prototype Hing With Chin Movement P.10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fin.

Let me know if i'm even close to how you pulled off your chin in theory, just look at the pic. Juices hinge but with a added bit to allow when the plate is moved by servo, the chin uses the same servo to move.

JUICE said:
Ha. That's the same thing I was drawing up. :D The angle is a little off though.

Nope tried that it puts too much pressure on the servo and wants to fight itself. With the jaw moving it has no firm point to push off when you do it that way. I'll see what I can do when I get home. It'll be a crappy sketch on a piece of paper cause I suck at pc 3D stuff. But you should get the jist of it and you all can refine as you see fit, just make sure and post up and improvements I want this to be a shared thing no "I got it working and you can't have it Masterle style" ; :cool)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. Looking that over the attachment point for the servo (I'm assuming it's up top) would put quite a strain on it.

If you put the connection point about half way down the short red arm, (in Fox w 's diagram) would reduce some strain, but would require a greater travel (gearing?). Though possibly increase slop.

Personally, for action on both areas, facemask and Chin, I'd be more apt to try a 2 servo hookup, one for raising and one for open the chin area, could be simultaneously activated by Ying the harnesses together and depending on gearing and servo wheel/arm choice, be more independently finetuned..

Just my 2 cents.. :)

Just_Stone said:
Hmm.. Looking that over the attachment point for the servo (I'm assuming it's up top) would put quite a strain on it.

If you put the connection point about half way down the short red arm, (in Fox w 's diagram) would reduce some strain, but would require a greater travel (gearing?). Though possibly increase slop.

Personally, for action on both areas, facemask and Chin, I'd be more apt to try a 2 servo hookup, one for raising and one for open the chin area, could be simultaneously activated by Ying the harnesses together and depending on gearing and servo wheel/arm choice, be more independently finetuned..

Just my 2 cents.. :)

Sounds like you know way more than I about servos which would be pretty easy, since I know zero about em. :p I was going to do a 2 servo setup but I wanted the servos in the helmet not remote mounted and there just isn't room in the helmet for 2. My setup works not bad with one so I'm ok with that. If I was remote mounting 2 or more would def work way better but that was not what I wanted to do. :)

Finhead said:
Sounds like you know way more than I about servos which would be pretty easy, since I know zero about em. :p I was going to do a 2 servo setup but I wanted the servos in the helmet not remote mounted and there just isn't room in the helmet for 2. My setup works not bad with one so I'm ok with that. If I was remote mounting 2 or more would def work way better but that was not what I wanted to do. :)

Years ago was into RC aircraft, there was a lot of trial and error with the building of some planes. Larger ones used 2 servos to control (for example) the elevator, one on each side, used a splitter cable from to receiver to the servos to get the same signal.

Space-wise you might be able to use 2 micro or mini servos (?) ..

Good Canadian supplier is Great Hobbies, which has centers in PEI and Edmonton Alta..

If you want to check out different servos with dimensions and torque, here's a link to there page about one...

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=EFLRS75

Just_Stone said:
Years ago was into RC aircraft, there was a lot of trial and error with the building of some planes. Larger ones used 2 servos to control (for example) the elevator, one on each side, used a splitter cable from to receiver to the servos to get the same signal.

Space-wise you might be able to use 2 micro or mini servos (?) ..

Good Canadian supplier is Great Hobbies, which has centers in PEI and Edmonton Alta..

If you want to check out different servos with dimensions and torque, here's a link to there page about one...

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=EFLRS75

That's where I bought mine from. ;) Yeah there just isn't a bunch of room in the chin area. :)

Finhead said:
That's one is my 2002 Yamaha 600R, it has to stay in the garage cause I'm running out of room for them in the 10'X16' shed. It's a squeeze with 6 bikes. :p :eek

cant go wrong with a yamaha 600 go would be fun during the summer

Finhead said:
That's where I bought mine from. ;) Yeah there just isn't a bunch of room in the chin area. :)

"Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps! " :p

llinformerll said:
So how did you hook the servos up? Like zabana?

No. Like I said THE servo (only one) is in the chin of the helmet, Zabana has his remote mounted out of the helmet and he has 2. ;)

Finhead said:
Oh sorry and an update.

Got a bit of time at lunch and just now when I got home to play. I'm not satisfied with the movement just yet, the faceplate lost some travel with the chin mod. I'll have to work on it another time though, I'm sure someone smarted than I will have it figured out soon enough though. I'll see I can get a few drawings up in the next few days, I don't want to post pics of the setup I have it's a prototype so very ugly in there. But I think it work ok for a couple nights messing around.

Oh and this is one servo tucked up in the chin section, so no cables or anything to run anywhere else.

Link works now.

NEW VID WITH CHIN MOD

NomNomnomnom...

llinformerll said:
Do you think you can show us how the inside looks?

No, I said in a previous post I wont show the inside till it's properly built then I'll show whatever pics you want. I'm not trying to hide anything or keep it from ya but I don't want the pics of this mess out here in the wild, not gonna happen. ;) I just got home from work, way too long of a day. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll draw something up and take a pic and post it, just super busy right now trying to keep up with three jobs. :eek

Hope this helps

Toki Smart Servo RC-1 - 1g Micro Servo

Torque: 4.8V:0.2 oz-in (0.02 kg-cm)

Weight: 0.03 oz (0.8 g)

Dimensions: Length:1.50 in (38.1 mm)

Width:0.35 in (8.9 mm)

Height:0.12 in (3.0 mm)

Motor Type: Electroactive Polymer

Rotational Range: 60°

Street Price: 26.99 USD

Heres a pic: ruler is in millimeters*

I just have to say that I really am enjoying watching the progress you are making and the fact that you are remaining so grounded and helpful. Top job. :Thumbsup

starkmark4 said:
Hope this helps

Toki Smart Servo RC-1 - 1g Micro Servo

Torque: 4.8V:0.2 oz-in (0.02 kg-cm)

Weight: 0.03 oz (0.8 g)

Dimensions: Length:1.50 in (38.1 mm)

Width:0.35 in (8.9 mm)

Height:0.12 in (3.0 mm)

Motor Type: Electroactive Polymer

Rotational Range: 60°

Street Price: 26.99 USD

Heres a pic: ruler is in millimeters*

Sorry man that does not help at all actually. :p If you look at the torque it's not going to be strong enough to move anything really, I think it's designed for gliders or something real light.

The servo I have in the chin is this guy here, which has 42 oz-in of torque at the low voltage. ;)

Current Servo

I'm going to replace it when I get the chance with this guy and see if it works better, it has 107 oz-in of torque at low voltage

Replacement

I have something kinda drawn out in paint cause I suck. If anyone is willing to fix what I have and make a proper diagram please email me and i'll send the pics and what it's all about. Thanks.

Finhead said:
Sorry man that does not help at all actually. :p If you look at the torque it's not going to be strong enough to move anything really, I think it's designed for gliders or something real light.

The servo I have in the chin is this guy here, which has 42 oz-in of torque at the low voltage. ;)

Current Servo

I'm going to replace it when I get the chance with this guy and see if it works better, it has 107 oz-in of torque at low voltage

Replacement

I have something kinda drawn out in paint cause I suck. If anyone is willing to fix what I have and make a proper diagram please email me and i'll send the pics and what it's all about. Thanks.

wow. just looked at all the pics of your work. you are very talented. i know this is off subject here but will you be willing to sell those round joint pieces that you casted. making them with pep doesn't even come close to looking as good as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back