1st Build First 3D Printed Armor! - HALO: INFINITE Mk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck yea!!! Love the color too. XD

The left bicep has finished printing at fits great! And yes, I am wearing the kids infinite costume :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210812-235557_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210812-235557_Gallery.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I dont know if I mentioned that I would be using the kids costume for the muscle part of the suit but that's the plan! Helps with the biceps and the torso areas being a little small and I plan on getting more muscle padding for the rest of my body. Who needs weight gainer when you have fake foam muscles? (System cheated)

Ok so I have printed one knee piece and now have the left bicep printing! All I have to do now is figure out how to cut the chest piece into 2 pieces....
Meshmixer has a very nice tool for cutting objects at perfect angles. Pretty sure some slicer software can also split a 3d file into parts too.

One problem I have with meshmizer so far is that it won't let me cut a small section without cutting the whole model in half. Is there a way I can slice multiple parts of the chest armor so it has cuts where I need them? If that makes any sense?

The meshmixer process can get seem a little convoluted, but after you figure it out it's pretty simple.

1. Make the plane cut for the area that you want to cut.
  2. Select all the areas that got cut that didn't need to get cut
  3. Select combine in the edit menu
  4. Move all the sliders to the max
  5. Hit accept
It can take a little while depending on your computer, but by repeating this you should end up with what you need.

The meshmixer process can get seem a little convoluted, but after you figure it out it's pretty simple.

5. Hit accept
It can take a little while depending on your computer, but by repeating this you should end up with what you need.
That makes perfect sense! Thanks so much!

Ok so I know I'm going all over the place with these prints but now I have the left thigh armor printing so I can see if I scaled that correctly! Luckily it won't use more than 3/4 of a spool to print so it won't be so bad if it doesn't fit right. But I think it will after checking the scale multiple times in both Armorsmith and Cura. Hope it turns out!

And does anyone know of the best filler to use on the armor? I used Woodfiller on the helmet but I still had layer lines showing and I have bondo body filler but don't know if I should use spot putty instead. Thanks for all the replies!

I use two different types of bondo.

The first one I use is the standard body filler. You should wear a respirator to use it though. If you’re confidant that you can work fast, then go for quick set, but if you want to take your time, DO NOT get quick set. It will be hard as a rock in 15 mins. I use this to fill the big gaps in the pieces.

Next I do an initial coat of filler primer over the bondo and sand. Then sand some more, and sand a little more. After that, I check first big gaps. If there are big gaps, then I repeat the process. Do not go full perfectionist with this stuff. That’s what we’ll do next.

Now that I’m happy with the big gaps, I move on to spot putty. Everywhere I see small gaps, obvious print lines, and printing artifacts I apply this. After that, spray with filler primer. Then sand, sand, sand. Repeat this until all the small imperfections are gone.

To finish off, I like to do 2 more coats of just filler primer and sanding, plus one more coat of normal primer with no sanding.

I don’t know if this is more information than you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

I use two different types of bondo.

The first one I use is the standard body filler. You should wear a respirator to use it though. If you’re confidant that you can work fast, then go for quick set, but if you want to take your time, DO NOT get quick set. It will be hard as a rock in 15 mins. I use this to fill the big gaps in the pieces.

Next I do an initial coat of filler primer over the bondo and sand. Then sand some more, and sand a little more. After that, I check first big gaps. If there are big gaps, then I repeat the process. Do not go full perfectionist with this stuff. That’s what we’ll do next.

Now that I’m happy with the big gaps, I move on to spot putty. Everywhere I see small gaps, obvious print lines, and printing artifacts I apply this. After that, spray with filler primer. Then sand, sand, sand. Repeat this until all the small imperfections are gone.

To finish off, I like to do 2 more coats of just filler primer and sanding, plus one more coat of normal primer with no sanding.

I don’t know if this is more information than you were looking for, but I hope it helps.
Thats exactly what I needed! Thanks for spending the time to type all that out!

5. Hit accept
Quick question, in Meshmixer I wasn't able to find out how to select a specific cut. Any tips?

If I'm understanding right, you start your plane cut and it will select one half to cut off. There is a short blue arrow what will reverse the cut and select the other portion. I tend to cut, save that part for more cutting or printing, Control Z to undo back and reverse the cut. Rinse and repeat until you have everything broken down to your liking.

If I'm understanding right, you start your plane cut and it will select one half to cut off. There is a short blue arrow what will reverse the cut and select the other portion. I tend to cut, save that part for more cutting or printing, Control Z to undo back and reverse the cut. Rinse and repeat until you have everything broken down to your liking.
That makes sense! Thanks!

Quick question, in Meshmixer I wasn't able to find out how to select a specific cut. Any tips?
Ahhh! Forgot a step. If you want to select the cut objects separately, you need to hit “separate shells”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back