First Armor Wip Mark Vi

Status
Not open for further replies.

momoss

Armor 100% Complete on Page 17!: Click Here
3/12/2012: Apparently my imagecave photo hosting is dead so 90% of my images are gone. I'll work on reuploading them to photobucket and having this look right again.

Well I'm new to the 405th as you can tell by my post count Lol Ive had a master chief costume in the back of my mind since Nightmare Armor made their suits. When I learned about pepakura I found this site and liked what I saw. Lots of information here and the community seems nice. Anyways I've decided to start making my own set of armor. I just finished pepping the mark 6 helmet. I used Flying Squirrel's hd model. My research told me to start with a low def, but I had faith in my abilities. I'm a newb to pepakura but not costuming, I've been making stuff for a while.

Well here are the pics of my first attempt, how does it look to you guys? To me the one thing that bothers me is the brim, it doesnt appear to be on exactly straight and I have no idea why since im pretty sure i lined up everything correctly. Might just be because its made of cardstock. Oh and the visor, I had no idea how to attach that to the helmet, there were no matching numbers to guide me through that or anything so I just left it out.

Pic%20007s.JPG

Pic%20004s.JPG

Pic%20005s.JPG

Pic%20006s.JPG

Pic%20008s.JPG

I used the default scale of 26.5cm just to see how big or small it would turn out. Some people say thats too small but my head can fit in it so I guess that was a good gamble. I dont like my helmets too big anyway. Its fairly easy to put on but a pain to take off but I'll trim a bit of the extra cardstock on the inside to take care of that.

Pic%20013s.JPG

Pic%20011s.JPG

Not sure if it's because of the way you put it on but there's some definite warpage on the left side (your right). That may have just been from you putting it on crooked or whatnot. If it really is warped you might want to go ahead and redo it before you get too far into it. Also, keep in mind you need room for several layers of fiberglass, padding, 9v batteries for the fans and lights. You may like a "smaller" helmet now but you won't later when your chin is being grinded into a spinning fan :]. Also keep in mind your armor makes you look bigger and bulkier all over - you don't want a tiny head :]

Cheers,

Kensai

Pics are kinda big.

Looking good for a first time pep, way better than my first attempt. :rolleyes

Ya I noticed the warpage but it must be from the way he put it on. This was the first helm I peped and had a blast doing it. keep up the good work man, you going to do the full suit?

sidewayz said:
Ya I noticed the warpage but it must be from the way he put it on. This was the first helm I peped and had a blast doing it. keep up the good work man, you going to do the full suit?

Yes I plan on making the whole entire suit, gonna try to get it all done in time for Dragoncon this year.

I did some tinkering with the helmet and managed to kill that warpage for the most part. Still a tiny little bend there but I think some bondo will take care of that. So for now I'm satisfied with it.

Pic016s.JPG

As for the helmet later on, I didnt originally plan to have a fan in it. But if I did I think I have plenty of room for it in the chin portion of the helmet. The helmet opening on the bottom is just big enough for my head to get up in there but once I get the helmet on its very roomy in there, enough for batteries lights ect. and I already know I'm going to need padding to keep my head snug. When I get the rest of my armor pepped and the head seems small I'll just make a slightly bigger one later. It only took 3 days to pep that head so it wont set me back that much.

Oh and I'll resize my pictures in the first post and reupload them.

Last edited by a moderator:
sidewayz said:

^^^ Look at 'HER' profile, she is a girl.

shmalofan said:
^^^ Look at 'HER' profile, she is a girl.

Haha I was wondering when someone would notice :lol But I'm sure I'm not the only female spartan around here. I have a thing for armor, and I love Halo and costuming. So this place seems right for me.

I like how you fixed the warpage.

you should really add the support struts before resining though for a sure bet there will be a lot less warping

keep up the good work though.

I just noticed you live in Atlanta GA, Lucky! I wish i lived that close to DragonCon.

i live in Idaho, i might be going to DragonCon.

I have a bike just like this one: but mine is road legal, i can drive to Georgia for very little money. Kind of a long way though.

37371069_2_1160869611.jpg

The best way I found to eliminate warping in the FS helm is to install the supports. It pulls everything dead straight. Looking great so far. If you can handle the FS helm to start with you will have no problem with any of the other pep files. Best of luck!!

SupermanExtreme1 said:
I like how you fixed the warpage.

you should really add the support struts before resining though for a sure bet there will be a lot less warping

keep up the good work though.

Oh you mean those last few pages that I thought were wasted ink? Lol, I used one of them as scrap but I have some others I didnt mess up yet. I suppose I could print out the one page I messed around with again. I'll resin it when I get all my other armor pepped, I have to be sure the helmet is going to look right with the rest of the suit, as it might be on the small size at default scale.

shmalofan said:
I just noticed you live in Atlanta GA, Lucky! I wish i lived that close to DragonCon.

i live in Idaho, i might be going to DragonCon.

I have a bike just like this one: but mine is road legal, i can drive to Georgia for very little money. Kind of a long way though.

37371069_2_1160869611.jpg

Oh yeah, I moved down here in 2001, I didnt even realize what I was missing out on till 2005. I go to Dragoncon every year now since then, its the BEST Lol I saw a group of halo spartans there last year, I specifically remember a yellow and black one because he was commenting on my Cyrax suit lol Wonder if they were from here...

shmalofan said:
Is this the suit?

Far left. right thereVVV

med_gallery_3416_3_13933.jpg

Yeah thats the one, and I remember your suit there too now that I see it. Apparently we have crossed paths last year, its a small world after all LOL Well if I get my suit done before Dragoncon maybe I can march around with you guys this year. I'll try to get in the parade too, I've always wanted to do it but it never materialized.

None of those are mine, i haven't ever been to dragoncon before.

hopefully i can make it this year.

shmalofan said:
None of those are mine, i haven't ever been to dragoncon before.

hopefully i can make it this year.

Oh my bad then Lol Well I hope you do make it, that would be awesome and I know you'll have a lot of fun. I'm gonna try to make the arm pieces next and see how that goes, hope I pick a good scale again, Id hate to remake a piece because it was too small.

shmalofan said:
have you read the pep scaling forums?

BTW, welcome to the forums.

Thanks, and yeah I've looked over a few pages of that thread. Ive messed around with a formula but I dont think I did it right because my helmet scale came up really small and I knew my head wouldn't fit in it, so I just decided to take a chance with the default scale. I'll just measure my body parts and try to get the model to match it in pep designer.

EDIT

2/14/2010

I pepped a right handplate and forearm over the weekend. I think I am 3 for 3 so far when it comes to scaling, they all seem to fit well to me. Im not 100% sure with the handplate till I get a decent pair of paintball gloves.

Pic%20018s.jpg

Pic%20019s.jpg

Ive done some forum rule reading, and it was stated that double posting is bad with an exception of personal WIP threads. Since this so happens to be a personal WIP thread for me, and I have new updates with my pepped armor, I shall post them.

I finished pepping the right bicep last night which completes the armor on my right arm. I think its scaled pretty good but I want the community's opinion.

Pic%20022s.jpg

I'm going to work on the shins in the meantime. I'll have more updates in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back