First attempts at foam armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey jimbo, just wanted to say thanks again for the advice, my foam build is going great thanks to you.

Welcome! I also learned you can seam the inside of the joints with laytex calk, but not where you want to paint! or the paint wont stick, but it does make beautiful seems.

I got to see the steampunk boarding armor in person . At dickens on the strand . great job jimbo !!

Hopeing to finish some more work on the legs tomorrow. Man i have been to slow on this build. Need to finish. Need to save money to get one of those awesome helmets too!

Well I am looking forward to seeing more of this build! Get crackin'! haha

_____________________________________________________________________________p588.gif0JZK.gifUB9L.gifNA8v.gif

Attachments

• p588.gif
    p588.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 0JZK.gif
    0JZK.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 97
  • UB9L.gif
    UB9L.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 104
  • NA8v.gif
    NA8v.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 105
Man it looks awesome, I'm currently having difficulty
I am currently using Rhinoc Pep files. I noticed that the gauntlets (forearms) require a lot of cutting since it's hard to bend EVA foam into sharp angles.

Great idea with the crafting foam! Your build displays the importance of having thinner foam sheets (like crafting foam). Crafting foam definitely helps with the more intricate and detailed parts of the armor.

(to help me out with the build so far I've just purchased a dremel tool, and a jigsaw, hope this makes better cuts and smoother edges)

Awesoe job man!

Sorry for back to back, here are some photos of the steampunk armor in action at Dickens on the Strand in galveston TX.
boardingcaptian.jpg

the cleaned up photo:
boardingcaptian2.jpg

Groupshot:
dickens1.jpg

and the end of the day "grouphug" over a beer:
dickens2.jpg

hope you like em.
Also back to work on the calves, and i must say having sprinters legs makes this difficult!
I have huge calves and thighs! pep files for the MKV armor looks like chicken legs when i print it out to make my templates! :)

FYI I have 17" calves and 24" thighs..and my waiste is only a 32"...

Attachments

• dickens2.jpg
    dickens2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 79
  • dickens1.jpg
    dickens1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 78
  • boardingcaptian2.jpg
    boardingcaptian2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 77
  • boardingcaptian.jpg
    boardingcaptian.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 77
Well I am starting the chest tonight, the legs have offically kicked my but! My manly claves and thighs have defeated me for now! But i will return to them next after the chest! I got some templates for a chest from privateer and am gonna give em a try. They are his prototype templates and he wants to know if someone can follow his instructions... :)
Here are the templates laid out ready to cut...
2010-12-14210708.jpg

will post more as i move along....

Attachments

• 2010-12-14210708.jpg
    2010-12-14210708.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 74
great work so far. Those foam mats are great and aren't eaten by resin (I tried it but plastidip would probably be better for spraying, idk, continuing on) The thighs have really messed me up also. I've pepped three thighs and my last one seems to have come out closest to what it should be even though getting it over the knee is a pain. I guess I have thick legs also? Great work so far. if you don't mind me asking whats steam punks....

[if you don't mind me asking whats steam punks....[/QUOTE]

Victorian sci-fi, imagine jules vern on crack? To me its just fun to make the stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back