First build: Foam halo reach custom spartan (probably Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really great work! Fits you perfectly, from the looks of it.
Thanks man! It totally does, finally xD
Scaling has been my worst enemy throughout the whole project... had to waste 2 sheets of foam on a chestpiece that was way too large just before this one :S

Eyyyy, small update!
So basically, the sky is falling over here... Snow = cold. Cold = stay inside. Stay inside = no painting :C
So i've not been able to work with the new chestpiece at all, apart from the last detailing...
instead, i've decided to start a magnum! :D

I got the idea when i went through my local food store, and they were selling thin plastic cutting boards for basically a dollar per piece!
I thought, why not make a sliced magnum out of plastic!
Luckily for me, the cutting boards sucked, and was pretty easy to cut through! :D
imageljxg.jpg

Now, i've had to rubber-band it together for the moment, since i need to put some epoxy and paint before i put it together!
I used a halo 3 model, since it had a lot of nifty little features! (don't remember the name of the guy who made it, but google sliced magnum, should be right there!)
imageras.jpg

One of these cool features was movable cocking mechanism and moveable trigger/clip!
imagefew.jpg

So what i'll do from here is put some epoxy on there, finish the detailing, sand it off and paint it, and it'll be done!
Hopefully, it will all be as easy as i think it will xDD

Happy building 405th! :D

Hey guys, thanks, appreciate it!

Now, i'll just post a small update!

I've finished a lot of detailing on the magnum, like the tiny parts, the clip and also, i glued it all shut!
Now it's just waiting for some latex-epoxy to smoothen out the edges as well as painting ofc :p
I'm thinking about putting a piece of metal into it aswell, so i can attach it with a magnet to one of the thigh-pieces!

Anywho, i made a tiny video, just to show all the cool lil features!

Oh, and the awesome pep for this one can be found here! http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/28898-Sliced-M6G-(-C-Variant)-Magnum-New-Model-New-Semi-WIP

Happy building 405th! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
very awesome man :) are you going to make it so the slide goes back into place by itself??

very awesome man :) are you going to make it so the slide goes back into place by itself??
Yeah man, i kinda want to, but i have no idea how to do it :C
The slide is basically foam against foam, so its really friction-y (?), which means it will have to be one strong spring or rubberband or whatever
i tried rubberbands, didnt work our that well :C
Besides, i kinda like it being like this, for prop purposes, if i want to be "out of ammo"
You got any ideas on how to make it spring back? :p

Well, it's time for a new update! :D
I'll double update, just to make sure that everything comes in here!
So let's start with the progress! :3
img0054cn.jpg

After last time, i used a little foamies to make some basic detailing, mostly the top two thingys like the scope cover and cocking handle!
Then i decided to just go with it and try out a kind of elastic epoxy. It still got hard, but it's supposed to be a bit better at taking a beating than glass-fibre...
img0055lz.jpg

After the first coat of epoxy had dried up, i sanded it a bit and added a second layer. Then i waited for that one to dry and sanded that one for a bit.
img0056ubv.jpg

img0057zkh.jpg

After i was happy with the epoxy, i started the painting process!
I started with a few basic coats of black through spraypaint.
img0058pv.jpg

When i had done two layers of black spray paint, i started filling it out with metallic gray by hand.

Then i just added a little bit of yellow and red detailing, a few screws and i had it done! :D
img0062bu.jpg

img0063lx.jpg

img0064jj.jpg

img0065cz.jpg

Now it does look a bit scrappy, but i'm just fine with that, the rest of my armor is a bit scrappy looking too ^^'
I covered most of it up with battle damage!
I went with a more halo reach-themed paintjob, even though it's a halo 3 gun. The reason for this is simply for it to go well with my armor!

Oh, and i made a video, much like last time, so you can see it in motion :3
Bye 405th, happy building!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah man, i kinda want to, but i have no idea how to do it :C You got any ideas on how to make it spring back? :p

If you want some tips on how to get the slide to snap back, I have a detailed explination of how to make it work in my WIP (link in signature)
If you hadnt completed the gun yet it would have been way easier.

If you want some tips on how to get the slide to snap back, I have a detailed explination of how to make it work in my WIP (link in signature)
If you hadnt completed the gun yet it would have been way easier.

Yeah man, the thing is, the core of my gun is made out of foam. Now i tried this idea before, but actually i think the rubber band would snap before actually pulling back the slide!
Thanks a lot anyway though, it's definately a heads up for my next project!
Oh, and by the way, i kind of like it like this! As a movie prop, this works great! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back