First build, ODST 3d print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyanberg

Hey! I used to be a part of the community years ago but made a new account.

I recently started my first build after getting familiar with my new ender 3 v2. I found quite a few files online for my armor, and even scaled some in armorsmith.

After spending a week printing my ODST helmet in overture pla+, I realized the helmet seemed pretty big. I was sure I measured the circumference of my head pretty well and tried my best to get the helmet as close as possible to my model's head within reason.

I know ODST helmets are kind of big ingame, but my helmet has quite a bit of wiggle room and will need a bit of padding. Is that normal? Like will it look even once I wear the rest of the armor? Would suck if I just wasted a week and $20 of filament.

Also if anybody has any suggestions for epoxy's or more efficient ways to smooth/fill gaps on my armor from seams/print lines, i'd love to know! Currently just working with gorilla glue gel and sandpaper/dremmel.

I'll post a picture of me wearing the helmet in a bit.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220109_235521.jpg
    20220109_235521.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
  • 20220109_235535.jpg
    20220109_235535.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 174
  • 20220109_235550.jpg
    20220109_235550.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 180
  • 20211007_191620.jpg
    20211007_191620.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 173
do you have some pictures from the side? initially a helmet feels bigger than it needs to be. But i find it easier to put some bits and bobs in like fans. gives some more space for that.
I just don't want to end up feeling like a bobblehead after all the padding is put in. A fan would be a good idea though. Maybe it won't be bad with the rest of the armor

Attachments

• 16418873048347727055423749276613.jpg
    16418873048347727055423749276613.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 145
For filling in print lines, the way i've found that works best for me is to go over the entire thing with sandpaper and then cover the entire thing in sandable filler primer. if there are any lines left after using the filler primer, sand the spots where you can see the lines and then recoat the filler primer. its a long process, but its pretty cheap and you'll get fantastic results.

Helmet looks pretty well scaled to be honest! I'd wait to reprint anything until you have a chestpiece or something to compare the sizing to. Scale with costume and without can be quite the difference! As for sanding you just gotta keep going with that sandpaper slowly working your way up along with applying bondo spot putty or a similar filler. Good luck Helljumper!

For filling in print lines, the way i've found that works best for me is to go over the entire thing with sandpaper and then cover the entire thing in sandable filler primer. if there are any lines left after using the filler primer, sand the spots where you can see the lines and then recoat the filler primer. its a long process, but its pretty cheap and you'll get fantastic results.
Thanks! I saw a few tutorials online mentioning that, but I wasn't sure how common it was. It'll probably be the best approach. Then I could go at it with some spot putty if needed like lobbster was saying.

I appreciate the reassurance from you guys! Got a little worried after I started gluing together my helmet after a week of printing hahaha

You'd be using the palm sander for flat pieces like sections of the chest piece or shoulders/shins right? I feel like it would be hard for round pieces.
Flat, slightly curved, or anything with a convex surface. For details, sandpaper and/or needle files are better for the job.

Flat, slightly curved, or anything with a convex surface. For details, sandpaper and/or needle files are better for the job.
Needle files! I was always curious what those small precise files were called. I seriously appreciate all the help from you guys, this forum rocks. I'll be sure to post my progress throughout the thread. Does anyone know a good place for 1 way mirror odst visors? The ones on etsy are like $60. Yeeesh

Also if anybody has any suggestions for epoxy's or more efficient ways to smooth/fill gaps on my armor from seams/print lines, i'd love to know! Currently just working with gorilla glue gel and sandpaper/dremmel.
Looking good. I just finished my own 3d printed helmet. For smoothing the 3d printing lines I used a thin coating epoxy. Going forward I think I'll use a product called XTC-3D made specifically for the purpose. For the helmet I used a different brand of thin epoxy I found at the hardware store. I also used some bondo to smooth things out and correct for slight issues with the fitment of the 3d printed parts.

Been super busy with life and work, moving into a new apartment so hopefully I'll have more time to work on my armor afterwards. Here's a small update on where i'm at! Almost ready to paint.
I've also been running into some issues with my 3d printer. Installed some upgrades and got a new filament but it's a bit off. Tbd

Attachments

• 20220302_133714.jpg
    20220302_133714.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 113
Long time no see boys. I ended up moving around quite a bit being military and work has slowed down for me. In the meantime I upgraded to a CR-10 smart printer for bigger prints, and made quite a bit of progress. Lots still needs to be sanded and painted, and my old uniform dyed black, but it's definitely coming along.

Does anyone have any tips or links to straps or ways I can link the shoulders and some of the armor together firmly to my body? I was thinking hardcore velcro but I feel like it won't hold up.

Also any good go-to padding for the inside of my helmet? I plan on wiring some fans and a voice modulator inside to boost my voice and give it some radio static.

Thanks! Glad to be back

Attachments

• 20220725_170828.jpg
    20220725_170828.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 104
Attaching to the undersuit is one of the main questions almost everyone has for their first build. Check out some build threads bc people do it different ways and what works for some people may or may not work for you. For my ODST (still in progress) I am mostly using heavy duty snaps for attachment. I like them because I can attach them through a strip of fabric and then sew it onto my undersuit where it needs to go. Likewise, I can attach a snap to a strip of fabric and then "glue" it to the armor piece where I want it. Main downside is there is no room for error. If the snap is placed even slightly off, the armor piece will be crooked. I am using the classic cardstock and fiberglass method, so my pieces shouldn't be much, if any, lighter than 3d printed (depending on infill and filament type and bla bla bla). Some people have had success with velcro, or elastic straps, or parachute clips, or all kinds of stuff.

Your suit looks awesome btw. I think your helmet will look good with the armor - doesn't look too big to me. Although Im not a great judge bc my ODST helmet is probably too big. Always glad to see more ODST builds! Feels like all the new builds I see are ODSTs these days.

Attaching to the undersuit is one of the main questions almost everyone has for their first build. Check out some build threads bc people do it different ways and what works for some people may or may not work for you. For my ODST (still in progress) I am mostly using heavy duty snaps for attachment. I like them because I can attach them through a strip of fabric and then sew it onto my undersuit where it needs to go. Likewise, I can attach a snap to a strip of fabric and then "glue" it to the armor piece where I want it. Main downside is there is no room for error. If the snap is placed even slightly off, the armor piece will be crooked. I am using the classic cardstock and fiberglass method, so my pieces shouldn't be much, if any, lighter than 3d printed (depending on infill and filament type and bla bla bla). Some people have had success with velcro, or elastic straps, or parachute clips, or all kinds of stuff.

Your suit looks awesome btw. I think your helmet will look good with the armor - doesn't look too big to me. Although Im not a great judge bc my ODST helmet is probably too big. Always glad to see more ODST builds! Feels like all the new builds I see are ODSTs these days.
What about straps for like attaching all of the shoulder pieces together? I don't see how you'd be able to get snaps onto all of the pieces if they don't sit flush on the clothing. I appreciate the input man, I'm excited to get this helljumper suit together

So, looking at your shoulders, they are in 3 pieces. I actually made mine one piece and cut them up into three. The purpose of this is that the shoulder parts should be able to flex a bit and wiggle. This is true in-universe as well as keep them from cracking or catching on stuff in cosplay. For mine, I "invented" what I call "cloth-hinges". I used a somewhat stiff fabric to bridge the gaps between the pieces so that they would have a little wiggle but not twist and spin around chaotically. You can see it here:

PXL_20220726_023042576.jpg Its kinda hard to distinguish the rondo that is securing the hinge and the rondo that is covering the fiberglass, but that is kinda the best pic I have because they all ended up kinda messy. Doesn't matter how ugly the underside is as long as the top looks good ;)

I then noticed that the shoulders have these little screws in the corners of the top pieces:

PXL_20220726_023052151.jpg I decided to add in those screws as functional screws to secure the black "webbing" fabric that I put inside so I could attach the snaps. just held in place by a correctly sized nut. I think i was able to put a small rivet on the fabric to keep it from tearing.
PXL_20220726_023106280.jpg
This fabric is stretchy enough to conform to my shoulder shape, but tough enough to hold the weight without sagging too much.

I hope that helps!

So, looking at your shoulders, they are in 3 pieces. I actually made mine one piece and cut them up into three. The purpose of this is that the shoulder parts should be able to flex a bit and wiggle. This is true in-universe as well as keep them from cracking or catching on stuff in cosplay. For mine, I "invented" what I call "cloth-hinges". I used a somewhat stiff fabric to bridge the gaps between the pieces so that they would have a little wiggle but not twist and spin around chaotically. You can see it here:

View attachment 321129 Its kinda hard to distinguish the rondo that is securing the hinge and the rondo that is covering the fiberglass, but that is kinda the best pic I have because they all ended up kinda messy. Doesn't matter how ugly the underside is as long as the top looks good ;)

I then noticed that the shoulders have these little screws in the corners of the top pieces:

View attachment 321128 I decided to add in those screws as functional screws to secure the black "webbing" fabric that I put inside so I could attach the snaps. just held in place by a correctly sized nut. I think i was able to put a small rivet on the fabric to keep it from tearing.
View attachment 321127
This fabric is stretchy enough to conform to my shoulder shape, but tough enough to hold the weight without sagging too much.

I hope that helps!
Yeah actually that's super helpful. I might be able to put one of those snaps on the middle triangular piece that goes between the two shoulder pieces, or glue it to a strap connecting the 3. The 3d printed files I have for them have small loops underneath for straps to go through, but I was unsure how I would fit those straps to the clothes. Maybe putting snaps on the strap and the arms of the uniform? Hmmmm.
I'm also looking into what cosplay foam to get for the inner thighs and to use for shoulder straps under the chestpiece and to rest some back pieces on. Probably for the neck ring, too. I want to get as detailed as I can with a first build and learn along the way pretty much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back